Houston Oilers

Grish

Did the silver they used ALWAYS have that blue tint to it? Because up until now I never understood why everyone thought their silver shells looked so good.

I've long thought that was the case, that they used metallic silver blue like the Cowboys rather than a true silver. I got a bunch of old gumball helmets, and among em are some old Oilers that used the same silvery blue shells as were used for the Cowboys...though then again Pantone has spoken, and other pics look like regular silver. I'll post a pic of the gumball a little later for the hell of it

Oh heck...I don't know...maybe they were. Not a lot of color standards back in those days...

The helmets very well could have been a bluish Silver...however, the pants look like a flat Gray.

The Raiders have been doing that for decades...it wasn't until about two seasons ago that the Raiders changed their Pantone value from a standard Silver (877 C) to a blended one that has some Blue in it (to reflect the custom paint they've been using all of this time).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did the silver they used ALWAYS have that blue tint to it? Because up until now I never understood why everyone thought their silver shells looked so good.

I've long thought that was the case, that they used metallic silver blue like the Cowboys rather than a true silver. I got a bunch of old gumball helmets, and among em are some old Oilers that used the same silvery blue shells as were used for the Cowboys...though then again Pantone has spoken, and other pics look like regular silver. I'll post a pic of the gumball a little later for the hell of it

It's always looked silver-blue to me. One reason I prefer the metallic helmets, whatever color they are, is because they evoke the type of hardhats actually worn in oilfields then, similar to this:

csah-silver-side.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived