Joe Gibbs Retires Again

nyk

Gibbs retires as coach, president of Redskins

ESPN.com

WASHINGTON -- Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs retired as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday. The team said he would stay on as a special advisor to owner Daniel Snyder.

The Redskins have scheduled a 3 p.m. ET news conference.

A team official told The Associated Press that the Redskins would begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a Hall of Fame career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first tenure from 1981-92; the second time around he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.

So long, Joe.

And now we shall see what rocks Mr. Snyder shall uncover in his search for the next coach of the Washington Redskins...

...somehow (and this is without any other line of logic other than alliteration), "Rex", "Ryan", and "Redskins" sound pretty good together, don't you think? ^_^

The team said he would stay on as a special advisor to owner Daniel Snyder.

Let's hope he doesn't advise them on wearing white jerseys all the time or advise them to let Portis help in any uniform capacity.

I honestly did not see this coming. I knew that Gibbs was an old-school type of guy, maybe the game itself has just passed him by.

Of all coaching vacancies, this one for sure seems like the best one available. Team is fairly decent and only needs a few tweaks to succeed more.

So long Joe. People can knock about his second tenure all they want, but he doubled the number of playoff appearances that this team had since he retired in 1993. i really worry about who will replace him. Dan Snyder doesnt have the great track record in picking coaches. *coughstevespurriercough* we can only hope that Gregg Williams replaces him.

and as for where he goes from here, its all family for Joe. his grandson has leukemia and im assuming thats getting all his attention.

I've been throwing around this theory for a while anyway here it goes,

Jason Garrett is a hot coaching commodity, Jerry wants to retain him and not have him bolt to say the Redskins or Falcons. To do this he could fire Wade Phillips and promote JG to head coach. Now why would the cowboys want fire Phillips after the cowboys had probably their best season since the super bowl years? Heres what i think happens. The cowboys go in to the divisional game and lose to the giants. I like to see that not happen but hear me out. Cowboys season is declared a failure and Phillips takes the wrap and is fired for it. Knowing they have a hot commodity in JG, they promote him to head coach. Saying that Phillips didn't do what he was hired for, didn't get the defense up to championship level, pulled another parcells and had a december/january collapse, couldn't overcome his 0 playoff wins etc. you get the picture. SO they present JG as the cowboys savior as the guy to get them over the hump. If they go business as usual they will lose JG to the falcons or the redskins as he will get a head coaching job somewhere. The pieces are there for this to happen.

NOw heres where my theory gets killed. Dallas goes in to the Giants game and they stomp the hell out of the giants and go to the NFC title game against Green Bay/Seattle. Possibly against Green Bay who they did beat earlier this year and almost made it a route before the back up came in and made it a game. Lets say they get to the super bowl and possibly pull the upset over the patriots or even lose by like a late field goal or something like that. Then there is no way in hell phillips is getting fired to keep JG. Then JG is the next Falcons/Skins coach. Even if they go to the NFC title game, there is going to be little justification for axing Wade.

So the giants game has alot on the line, especially job security. Because if Phillips lose to the giants, then his job is in very high question. It really shouldn't be after the year they had but given the coaching prospects of JG. Its going to get interesting.

Coast. Inhale.....exhale. The "what ifs" will come soon enough. Enjoy your team having a record-tying season and a great chance in the playoffs. If the Boys don't make it this year, the future is very bright.

Check out this Spagnola article:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?edit...7DA04AF8CAC3643

Sure, he's blowhard and an arrogant S.O.B., but he's usually right.

Coast. Inhale.....exhale. The "what ifs" will come soon enough. Enjoy your team having a record-tying season and a great chance in the playoffs. If the Boys don't make it this year, the future is very bright.

Check out this Spagnola article:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?edit...7DA04AF8CAC3643

Sure, he's blowhard and an arrogant S.O.B., but he's usually right.

honestly i wasn't trying to rip the team, but trying to analyze the scenerios of a win/loss during the giants game. it was a theory i was tossing around with someone on the cowboys boards. way i see it is that Wade is a short term stop gap for JG who they see as the long term coach. Thats why i wouldn't be shocked to see him get canned after what happened against NY. Does he deserve to be canned? no. i think he did a hell of a job this year. granted with parcells team which i am about to get in to here in a moment and how this ties in to why they lost. I however do not think they see wade as a long term answer, i think they wanted him as a short term quick fix to get them to the super bowl. However right now he hasn't done much better than parcells or chan gailey. well post season wise at least, regular season wise its the best season since 93. Unfortunatly championships are not won in the regular season but in the playoffs. now heres what you have, JG is still a hot commodity. Yeah his offense tanked the last part of the season but for a first year coach to get what he got out of his players, i think establishes himself as a damn good coach. The coaches are only as good as the players on the field. Theres so much you can attribute to coaching, like false starts (looking at you flo) or stupid penalties (looking at you Davis, Reeves).

Heres where me an parcells haters split. Parcells got ripped to shreds because he couldn't get us past the first game of the post season despite taking a team devoid of any talent before he came here and turning it around. Now phillips comes in and he's supposed to lead us to the promise land. Fair enough reasoning, Parcells coaching was out of date which was obvious by some of the coaching decisions. However the players he brought in significantly made the team better. Now heres the problem, the team is awsome going in to december and yet for whatever reason they tank december and january. It happened all 4 years under parcells and it happened again this season. Phillips comes in and this is the year. Don't get me wrong i think what they did is awsome, but this is not phillips' team, its parcells. He built this team and really should be attributed for the success he had this season. All phillips has to do is just coach really.

Now i am lead to another question, is team as good as the record or is this team a team with a few lucky bounces and miracle games from being a 10 or 11 win team? If i am seeing this year is basically what we saw under parcells, was it really the result of parcells or the players. Which leads me to believe there probably needs to be some significant changes in player personel, maybe coaching, if need be. But something has to change, i do not understand with this team that they can go out and have another one and done. This team is as talented as any team in the league, there is no reason they can't be in the NFC title game and the super bowl. So its going to be interesting what happens this off season. I think it needs to start by flushing the FOBs(freinds of bill) and the coaching FOBs out of dallas. it just seems right now its BP as usual, when it needs to be take the bull by the jewels and lead his ass to the SEC country for the super bowl.

again not trying to sound like a hater or rip the team to shreds but simply to analyze what went wrong and what needs to be done about it. They are on the right track but i think they still need more work done to get them over the hump. if they can shore up the problems they have now, there is no reason they can not make a serious run for the trophy and best paper tiger. They got a good young core to work with, they have first rounders devoted to defense and Romo, Barber, Whitten is a good set to work with and will continue to get better and better. Its going to happen for this team, they are going to get their :censored: together and win another super bowl, its just a matter of getting the players that will do it and the coaches who will lead them there. The cowboys went through this before with heart break loss after heart break loss before Landry and Staubach took the team by jewels and lead them to the super bowl. I have full confidence this will happen again, Jerry has too much pride invested in the team for it not to happen ever again.

Archived