Sign in to follow this  
Chiefster2000

How does Yahoo! do it?

What effect does Yahoo! use to make the logos go from that to this?

DrakeBulldogold.gif

dde.gif

It's actually not too complicated. I'll try to recreate it then explain. Just a layer of horizontal lines, pretty much though.

DrakeBulldogold.gif

dde.gif

drake-1.gif

Using photoshop it is pretty easy- create a new transparent 2 pixel high file and make the upper pixel black and leave the lower pixel transparent. define it as a pattern

Then in a new layer over your image do edit --> fill --> use pattern

dang it wys, beat me to it.

nonetheless, I made a full yahoo logo. Here it is:

yahoologo-1.png

That's what you want, right?

Using photoshop it is pretty easy- create a new transparent 2 pixel high file and make the upper pixel black and leave the lower pixel transparent. define it as a pattern

Ok, since I will admit I am not that great at photoshop do you think you could tell step by step what I need to do for it? Thanks for your time and help.

Ok, since I will admit I am not that great at photoshop do you think you could tell step by step what I need to do for it? Thanks for your time and help.

Before that, though, do this:(I don't use PS so you;ll have to interpret a bit, but GIMP is pretty similar)

0. Create layer from background(right click on background layer) and be sure to use that layer(i think it becomes layer 0)

1. fill in the edges around your image with that blue

2. scale it down to a good size

3. use rectangular select with rounded edges around top part of body or what you want to keep, invert, then delete

4. do alpha to selection(I'm not sure how in PS, but shouldn't be hard to find)

5. make a 1px grey border around image(i think select > border)

6. make a new image and follow this -(what you requested)http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creating-custom-pattern-in-photoshop/ - except make it 1x2 and zoom in all the way - fill top pixel with black or grey(i used grey).

7. (back to logo) make new transparent layer

8. fill with pattern

9. use clipping mask(i think alt+click in between pattern layer and bg layer, cursor becomes 2 circles)

10.set opacity of pattern layer to around 60, or hwhatever looks good

11. that's it! unless you want that small slight black outline on mine and yahoo's(if you look very closely), but it looks fine without.

yay! hope I helped!

That was a good questions because I've alway wondered that. I wish I had Photoshop.

Use GIMP! I don't have PS either and I do everything in GIMP! Gimp can do EVERYthing PS can do. It's FREE too! It's not that hard to interpret tuts for PS and if you cant, use GIMPhop, Gimp w/ PS-like interface! Huzzah!

Sure...

In Photoshop

Step 1: Create a new image with the following specifications:

width 1 pixel

height 2 pixels

resolution: 72 pixels

contents: transparent

Step 2: Zoom in as far as possible 1600%

Step 3: Select the upper pixel using the rectangular marquee tool

Step 4: Fill the pixel with the color of your choice. (In this case black)

Step 5: Edit --> Define Pattern (name it what you want) press ok.

To use...

Step 1: Open the image you want to apply this to (i.e. the Drake mascot).

Step 2: Create a new layer above your image

Step 3: Working in that layer, Edit --> Fill In the pop up window use pattern and select your custom pattern (you can leave the defaults for blending) Press OK.

You now should have the horizontal lines over your image. You can adjust the fill or transparency on that layer.

To create the border (one of many ways)..

Step 1: Create yet another layer and working in that layer select the rounded rectangle tool and change from shape layers to path.

Step 2: Working from the top left of your image drag the rectangle diagonally down to the lower right of your image... use a radius that works for your image (ie 50px)

Step 3: Right click on the path and choose make selection. In the pop up you can feather the radius for a smother transition from the border to your image (i.e. 3pix).

Step 4: You will now have a selection but you want to fill the opposite so Select --> Inverse

Step 5: Now paint bucket your selection and that should do it.

Sure...

haha, this is too funny...

11. that's it! unless you want that small slight black outline on mine and yahoo's(if you look very closely), but it looks fine without.

How did you get that out of curiosity.

How did you get that out of curiosity.

Do alpha to selection on the logo layer, then shrink by 1 pixel, then do a 2 px border with feathered edges. then use either a random grunge brush or a fuzzy brush(use the edges) and fill in the selection(on a new layer), so it's not all filled, but mostly filled, then decrease the opacity of that layer to whatever looks good.