Ovechkin gets 13 year deal with Caps

Milo Meningocele

Why do hockey players get such long contracts? (i.e. DiPietro, 15 years). What if something happens?

Salary Cap

EDIT-I see hfboards has crashed again.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was almost certain that he'd leave the Caps. I don't know where they've pulled all this money from. Thinking about it now, it's probably the best thing to do. He's a guy that you'll want to build the future around.

Goaltending is going to be an issue for the team very soon. Kolzig is 38 this year be around forever, Though I would say it's very likely he's finish up as a Capital. I'd like to know what their minor league system is like right now. If they had a good crop of young guys coming up this would be perfect.

If not, they have alot of work to do to make the Caps into a winner

the Caps have alot of good young players, but goaltending is where the system is lacking, and i think we need goaltending now. theyre getting alot better this year, and if theyre going to make a push, we need a stable goalie. i love Olie, he makes the big saves when he needs but now he doesnt make the saves he should make, and lets in alot of softies. but the team is headed in the right direction, especially now.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Why do hockey players get such long contracts? (i.e. DiPietro, 15 years). What if something happens?

It looks like this is what all the teams will do from now on. Crosby and Kane are next. This trend will last until someone gets injured seriously enough that it slows down their play.

$9.5 Million a year?

I thought there was a salary cap in the NHL.

And he negotiates his own contract? Is there anything this guy can't do? I guess the Soviets have really got a handle on this capitalism thing now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopnsea1OoY

Here's my Ovechkin jersey, as worn in the first period of his first ever NHL game, Oct. 10th, 2005, with the Katrina/Cares patch.

2053297550100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2884225550100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

$9.5 Million a year?

I thought there was a salary cap in the NHL.

And he negotiates his own contract? Is there anything this guy can't do? I guess the Soviets have really got a handle on this capitalism thing now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopnsea1OoY

Here's my Ovechkin jersey, as worn in the first period of his first ever NHL game, Oct. 10th, 2005, with the Katrina/Cares patch.

2053297550100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2884225550100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

I love that jersey, but have yet to be able to find one in the EDGE led clearout of last year's uniforms :(

About time this happened. The Caps locked up our best player for most of is carrer. As for the lack of goalies in the system they have Michal Neuvirth and Semen Varlamov

One part of the contract I found interesting is

the contract contains a limited movement clause that kicks in when he's 27, at which point Ovechkin will submit a list of teams to which he would refuse a trade prior to each season. McPhee wouldn't say how many teams, but it was a "few" more than five.

-from Washington Post Capitals insider

I wonder what that says about Ovechkin's future

Salary Cap

EDIT-I see hfboards has crashed again.

Correct. These long term contracts are due to the salary cap. The cap number is the average amount of what the player makes per year over the term of his contract. That means in this case Ovechkin's cap number is 9.5 million for the next 13 years. So has the cap keeps going up (and a historical look at league revenues says that it will) that 9.5 becomes a lower and lower percentage of the cap and the contract 6-7 years down till the end of the contract is a bargain. If they only signed him to a six year deal they would probably have to resign at another near max. deal which then may be something like 15 million per year.

That said the league will probably look to put a limit on the length of contracts comes the next CBA. Reason being is that these long contracts are unirsurable which mean if the player goes down with a career ending injury the team has to pay the full contract out themselves instead of insurance paying it. Secondly teams can play games with these type contracts by front loading them which means in actual dollars spent they are spending above the cap but the cap dollar is lower because it is an average. Although that is not the case with Ovechkin it is 9 million the first 6 years, 10 million the last 7.

Correct. These long term contracts are due to the salary cap. The cap number is the average amount of what the player makes per year over the term of his contract. That means in this case Ovechkin's cap number is 9.5 million for the next 13 years. So has the cap keeps going up (and a historical look at league revenues says that it will) that 9.5 becomes a lower and lower percentage of the cap and the contract 6-7 years down till the end of the contract is a bargain. If they only signed him to a six year deal they would probably have to resign at another near max. deal which then may be something like 15 million per year.

That said the league will probably look to put a limti on the length of contracts comes the next CBA. Reason being is that these long contracts are unirsurable which mean if the player goes down with a career ending injury the team has to pay the full contract out themselves instead of insurance paying it. Secondly teams can play games with these type contracts by front loading them which means in actual dollars spent they are spending above the cap but the cap dollar is lower because it is an average. Although that is not the case with Ovechkin it is 9 million the first 6 years, 10 million the last 7.

Exactly. It's like buying a house - if you're smart, you buy the absolute maximum house you can afford to make monthly payments on. It hurts like hell at first financially, but over time as inflation creeps in, your salary goes up, etc., the amount in 'real dollars' gets to be less and less. My parents bought a house in 1960 with mortgage payments of around $100 a month. Seemed a lot at the time, but by 1975, it was chump change.

nav-logo.png

Archived