15 College Football Logos

fishheatcats

DISCLAIMER: Please do not be offended if your favorite team isn't in any of my conferences, or if you think a certain team has no business in Div. 1, or in a certain conference. You could read what I have said here initially, but to give you the short version: I tried to pick the teams as geographically as possible, I really am not an expert on the dynamics of college football(rivalries, history and such), and this is only a basic idea of what a a perfect(to me, no voting, no polls, and no "strength of schedule" nonsense) playoff based system COULD look like. Thank you.

As you may or may not recall a while back one of the first things I posted here was my idea for how Div. 1 college football should institute a playoff. I think only like 1 other person thought it was a good idea :cry: You also may recall from that post that I have a general distaste for Div. 1 football as it is the only sport in which victory is determined by direct competition with an opponent and the scoring of some sort of goal/points, but the champions are are crowned using opinions, voting, polls, etc. to put two teams in a "National Championship" game. This puts it, in my mind, in the same boat as figure skating, gymnastics, slam dunk contests, and other judge-involving sports(which should all institute a H.O.R.S.E. system if you ask me, that'll remove the judges lol).

Anyways, I've come up with logos for the 8 conferences, plus the 7 "Bowl" games that would accompany the implementation of my system.

conferencessm3.gif

104 teams would be put into Div. 1, and broken into these 8 conferences which would be like 8 separate "leagues". Say your Miami, you'd play the other 12 teams in the Big East every year in the regular season, alternating which 6 you play home and away each year. This would eliminate that "strength of schedule" nonsense. My mock up here has the season running from August 30, for 15 straight weeks to December 6 for the championship. Then the team with the best record in each conference advances to the first set of "bowls", the quarterfinals.

bracketur0.gif

The match ups would be determined randomly previous to the season, because there would be a good chance of a few of the 8 conference champions having the same records, and tie breakers would be complicated. The locations for the games would rotate each year, with the Orange/Rose/Sugar and Fiesta Bowls always being there, and the remaining 3 picked from sites where old bowl games were held. 1 of the 4 current BCS sites would always be the championship game, 2 would be the semis, and one would be a quarterfinal game.

Well, that's pretty much it... I figured doing some visuals to accompany my idea would help some better understand it, or even just give it a chance. I'll never be a die-hard college football fan, because I've never cared about non-pro sports, my high school, college, or anything. However, the NCAA could turn me into a casual fan like I am with soccer, golf, lacrosse, darts, ping pong, and most other sports we play on Earth if they instituted something like this. I know some of you will hate it, but that's because I came up with it as an outsider looking in, not bound by the traditions of the game. C&C on the logos, and the overall system concept if you want.

P.S. I know some will disagree with the choice of teams for each conference and/or the bowl sites. I tried to do it as geographically as possible and to keep teams together(also had to add some 1-AA teams). I just thought of the ones that came to my head in those regions, and then picked the rest off a list. Just wanted to put some teams to show what this could look like.

So, you bring up 10 teams from D-1AA (FCS) or even schools without a NCAA team (Marquette, I believe, only has a club team) and demote ~25 from D-1A (FBS) Including All the MAC minus Temple and Miami, all Sun Belt teams minus FIU and FAU. I know this is a concept, but shouldn't it somehow be able to happen. Zero hance this could ever occur.

The only positive is that the logos are well rendered and I could see them implemented. Good job on that.

saBS.png

So, you bring up 10 teams from D-1AA (FCS) or even schools without a NCAA team (Marquette, I believe, only has a club team) and demote ~25 from D-1A (FBS) Including All the MAC minus Temple and Miami, all Sun Belt teams minus FIU and FAU. I know this is a concept, but shouldn't it somehow be able to happen. Zero hance this could ever occur.

The only positive is that the logos are well rendered and I could see them implemented. Good job on that.

I think he demoted Indiana too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think he demoted Indiana too.

...USF and Minnesota were also left out.

Also LSU is on there twice (GPC and SEC)

saBS.png

The idea is good, but it would never happen. If there wasn't so much tradition involved I would say this would be a perfect plan, but alas, I see this never happening.

The logos are great. I don't a real big gripe about any of those.

My biggest gripe though is why you have teams like Georgetown, Villanova, Delaware, Montana, and Montana State in there when there are teams from the current FBS which are absent. Such as Arkansas State, Tulsa, UTEP, SMU, Southern Miss, and others. Also, Marquette and Wichita State don't even have football programs.

Some of the alignment also seems off to me. With Arkansas being the newest team in the SEC I think they would fit better in the MAC, and have LSU in the SEC. Washington State would fit much better in the PCC or WAC than Air Force or Baylor would. Also, why have Navy in the MAC while Marchall is in the Big East? Navy is further more east.

A lot of rivalries were broken up as well. Which further supports the fact that tradition would get in the way of something like this ever happening.

Anyway, great work on all the logos, and good job taking the time to put this whole thing together.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Ok the reception is a little better this time lol. I can't believe I left out USF, I meant to put them on there. And I didn't know Marquette and Witchita State didn't have programs, just looked up a list of colleges and picked some to be honest. I agree that the rivalries being lost is a key thing stopping this from ever happening, but playing the same 12 teams every year to compete for 1 spot in the playoffs would surely start new rivalries.

Oh and the LSU in the GPC was supposed to be Louisiana Tech. That's a typo. I was searching for like the last team and stuck them in there.

Ok the reception is a little better this time lol. I can't believe I left out USF, I meant to put them on there. And I didn't know Marquette and Witchita State didn't have programs, just looked up a list of colleges and picked some to be honest. I agree that the rivalries being lost is a key thing stopping this from ever happening, but playing the same 12 teams every year to compete for 1 spot in the playoffs would surely start new rivalries.

The alumni don't care about a playoff spot as much as they care about stomping those arseholes into the ground at (fill in rival here) University. Don't underestimate the sway of the rivalry.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Um why isn't Georgia in the SEC? You actually think Tulane is good enough to play in the SEC? Tulane would be a joke in the SEC, like Vanderbilt was about 5 years ago. And Georgia would tear up the ACC.

You really can't mess with the conference system too much. It seems to be organized so the better teams are in the SEC, ACC, PAC-10, Big 10, Big 12, and Big East. The worse teams are in the MAC, WAC, and such. So that shouldn't be changed.

I can tell a lot of thought and effort went in to this, props for putting it out there. Nice work on logos and such, too.

You actually think Tulane is good enough to play in the SEC?

No I don't, at least not the current SEC. I would agree Georgia should probably be in the SEC for rivalry's sake, but this wouldn't be the same SEC. They would be 8 totally new conferences, just with some of the same names. And it would probably be good, at least in what I've come up with, to spread out the "better" teams among all 8 conferences, because if you keep the MAC or WMC similar to now, with all 2nd or 3rd tier teams, the playoff isn't as competitive. And thanks everyone for the compliments on the logos(the Sugar Bowl one would be better but I didn't feel like going into details on the trophy)!

your gator has no feet...or legs...and a wierd flap over it's eye and the top of it's mouth

i see the same font(s) used in many of your logos...diversify...i like the PCC logo, though

and why would duke be in the MAC when you're trying to align teams geographically???

jldesigns404eo.png

you don't have a bad idea here, just do a bit more research on what teams you're putting where and people won't be able to nitpick at it so much. my advice is check out espn.com's page. they list all the d1 schools by conference including the independents so you don't have to guess.

also, since everyone else has reminded you that this'll never happen, i won't say it too. :wacko:

keep the current conferences. take the conference champions from all of the 11 conferences and 5 wild cards and seed them and have a 16 team playoff using current bowl sites as the playoffs. the bcs bowls would be the final four. the nat'l title host from the year before would host the third place game. much easier than realligning all of the conferences and it makes the small conferences happy by including them even if their prize for making it is a first round bloodbath to usc or lsu.it gives them a mathematical chance while allowing for the possibility of a georgia/lsu or kansas/missouri/oklahoma situation to be resolved by wild cards. not perfect as like the basketball tournament there's still going to be bitching about teams getting snubbed but much less bitching than with the current bowl format

Why do bowl games even have to be part of the playoffs? I say make an ten team tournament and have the eight losers take on each other in the BCS Bowls, while the final two teams go for the National Championship. There would be no multiple bowl winners, and the playoffs would be in tact. Win win.

I like that Marquette is on there, but they don't have a Div. 1-A or FBS program. Anyway, they could use a break-up of divisions although it would never happen. No one would dismantle the Big Ten or Big 12, and people would hate the cut-up of SEC rivalries.

The Big East logo is so awesome. Kudos.

Archived