everyone else was doing it...

slightly shotgunned

Because i've been advocating a playoff for d1 for a long time and have never really come up with a full concept of what the system would look like as i saw it, i figured near 3am and slightly intoxicated would be the perfect time to throw my idea up here. some things to note:

1) the absence of bowls. i did that because IMO there is no way to have a playoff and traditional bowl ties. sometime around the end of their second beating in the Pac-10's backyard, the Big 10 is going to gripe about how they will always play an opening road game even when they're ranked above said Pac-10 team.(in this year's example, ohio state[#1 at end of regular season] would play USC [#5] in California.) better teams that qualify are rewarded with a higher seed and thus, home field advantage.

2) 16 teams. I know, i know. too many, there aren't that many deserving teams, <insert other disagreement here>. look, if the ncaa is going to be running the playoffs, my thought would be that they'd have to put in 16. 6 from the big 6 conferences, 5 from the mid majors, and 5 at-large (mostly to cancel out the 5 mid-majors). deal with it for now.

3) Notre Dame. sorry irish fans but the football team has got to join a conference. i've said big ten which would make the name even more ridiculous and increase their number to 12. i stand by it for now, but i reserve the right to change my mind at any time. other independents will have to join conferences as well. Western Kentucky'll join the Sun Belt (it was rumored they were heading there anyway). Army and Navy'll go to whoever takes them, but there shall be no more independent teams.

all set? here we go anyway:

seeding conference winners

seeds 1-6 will go to the conference winners of the pac-10, big 12, big east, big 10, sec, and acc and will be seeded according to end of season rankings. taking the week 14 regular season bcs rankings, we get (1)Ohio State (2)LSU (3)Virginia Tech (4)Oklahoma (5)USC and (6)West Virginia. conference winners of the Sun Belt, WAC, Mountain West, Conference USA and MAC will receive seeds 12-16 and would be seeded according to end of season rankings as well. taking the week 14 regular season bcs rankings and sports illustrated.com's power rankings for teams not in the top 25, we get (12)Hawai'i (13)BYU (14)Florida Atlantic (15)UCF and (16) Central Michigan.

best of the rest

seeds 7-11 will be determined by the same committee and will separate teams into two categories. Runner-ups and Bubble teams. Runner-up teams are teams who finished second in their respective conference and will receive priority over Bubble teams, which are teams who've finished third overall in their respective "major" conference or second in their "mid-major" conference. runner-up teams this year: Tennessee, Missouri, Boston College, Illinois, UCONN, and Arizona State. Bubble teams: Georgia and Kansas. The selection committee will decided the teams and their seed in the playoffs. conference rematches are possible, but not encouraged. teams i picked and their seeds (7) Tennessee (8)Missouri (9)Arizona State (10)Kansas (11)Georgia. (btw. those teams were kinda picked at almost random)

playoffs

games start two weeks after the last conference championship game (all moved to the first saturday in december).

Central Michigan @ Ohio State

Arizona State @ Missouri

Hawai'i @ USC

BYU @ Oklahoma

UCF @LSU

Kansas @ Tennessee

Georgia @ West Virginia

Florida Atlantic @ Virginia Tech

the next round is played the following week (december 22, 2007) and the semifinals two weeks later (January 5th, 2008) with the championship game played one week later (January 12, 2008).

only the championship game would be played at a neutral site. all other games are played at the highest seeded team's home field. no reseeding.

so that's it. hope that's clear enough. i apologize if it isn't. I'm going to go lay down now.

Why couldn"t theese games be played at nuetral sites and be the bowl games? Simmilar to the NCAA basketball tounament all played at nuetral sites. The normal tie ins would go away and dates of the games would change but you get to have a playoff and bowl games as well.

I know the reason Notre Dame isn't in a conference (So they can have their own broadcast rights), but the way I see it, which conference would they join? As of right now, I don't see any conference that'd be willing to add them unless they kick someone out.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Klydefrog i thought about putting notre dame in the big east, it would make a lot of sense. i didn't give them whole lot of thought.

Cduffy they could join any conference that didn't already have twelve teams in it without that conference having to kick out another school. the big east and the big ten could take them without losing another school for example.

Scoobytim i think the reason i don't like the neutral site idea is because of the lack of advantage to the higher seed. i mean, you play hard all year, you dominate your conference, you shouldn't have to travel...the way i see it anyway. i guess you could still call them bowls if you wanted to, but it'd just be another opportunity for sponsors to have some sort of say in the goings on of the playoffs and i don't want that.

infrared this is assuming the NCAA is running the playoffs. the same NCAA who includes all conference winners in all of its championship tournaments (that i know of). i don't see this one being run any differently. either that or we could keep the bcs for the mid-major schools to play for. :P

infrared this is assuming the NCAA is running the playoffs. the same NCAA who includes all conference winners in all of its championship tournaments (that i know of). i don't see this one being run any differently. either that or we could keep the bcs for the mid-major schools to play for. :P

I just figure we need to save something to fight about next season. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived