Vikings stadium

winghaz

I was watching the snow flying in the Packers-Seahawks playoff game, and, as a longtime diehard Vikings fan, I was thinking that's just what the Vikings need -- to return outdoors and play in those kinds of conditions.

Old Metropolitan Stadium was lousy for football, but the Vikes really did have an edge there that they never had at the Metrodome -- playing well in all kinds of conditions. The colder and the snowier the better.

When Minnesota builds a new stadium for the Vikings -- and it will happen -- they need to go outdoors. Forget the dome, forget the retractable dome -- just go outdoors.

I was watching the snow flying in the Packers-Seahawks playoff game, and, as a longtime diehard Vikings fan, I was thinking that's just what the Vikings need -- to return outdoors and play in those kinds of conditions.

Old Metropolitan Stadium was lousy for football, but the Vikes really did have an edge there that they never had at the Metrodome -- playing well in all kinds of conditions. The colder and the snowier the better.

When Minnesota builds a new stadium for the Vikings -- and it will happen -- they need to go outdoors. Forget the dome, forget the retractable dome -- just go outdoors.

I thought plans were already in the works for a new stadium for the Vikings or am I thinking of the Twins.

BB52Big.jpg

I thought plans were already in the works for a new stadium for the Vikings or am I thinking of the Twins.

There have been plans for both teams to get new stadiums, but the Twins stadium is actually begun with groundbreaking last year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My philosophy with indoor stadiums is this: If the game can be postponed by inclement weather (like baseball), then go ahead, play in a dome. But if you can play through rain, snow, sleet, cold temps, etc, (football) then quit your whining and play outdoors

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

That second one looks like a dome... but yeah, they need to move.

They were planning on going with a retractable roof.

May 15, 2006

St. Paul, Minn. ? The Vikings seem to be making a last-ditch attempt to keep their stadium hopes alive this year. Vikings lobbyist Lester Bagley told the stadium conference committee that the team is willing to ditch their plan for a retractable roof if it would build support for the stadium pitch.

The conference committee includes legislators from the House and Senate who are trying to reconcile the two bodies' dramatically different stadium funding plans. Several lawmakers have criticized the Vikings plan because it used some state money to pay for the retractable roof.

My philosophy with indoor stadiums is this: If the game can be postponed by inclement weather (like baseball), then go ahead, play in a dome. But if you can play through rain, snow, sleet, cold temps, etc, (football) then quit your whining and play outdoors

Who's whining?

I obviously have a slant on this because my Rams play in a dome.

But I get tired of the whole "real football is played outdoors in the rain, snow, mud, wind, and hail all at once" stuff.

Real football is the game of football. And it can be played pretty well anywhere the dimensions of the field fit.

I think it's awesome to watch a game in weather conditions similar to those at Lambeau yesterda, I think it's awesome to that guys have to and can tough it out in those conditions.

But that's not anymore football than a game in a dome. It's in fact it's also awesome to watch football played an environment when weather can't affect the game and teams are free to play to their purest ability.

Both conditions make for excellent football. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the manly-man grind it out outdoors type of things, but the crap domes take bothers me.

Now, the fan environment or lack thereof inside of domes? That's another story. (Although, I think it's largely dependent on the fans excitement level as opposed to anything specific about the stadium.)

Who's whining?

I obviously have a slant on this because my Rams play in a dome.

But I get tired of the whole "real football is played outdoors in the rain, snow, mud, wind, and hail all at once" stuff.

Real football is the game of football. And it can be played pretty well anywhere the dimensions of the field fit.

I think it's awesome to watch a game in weather conditions similar to those at Lambeau yesterda, I think it's awesome to that guys have to and can tough it out in those conditions.

But that's not anymore football than a game in a dome. It's in fact it's also awesome to watch football played an environment when weather can't affect the game and teams are free to play to their purest ability.

Both conditions make for excellent football. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the manly-man grind it out outdoors type of things, but the crap domes take bothers me.

Now, the fan environment or lack thereof inside of domes? That's another story. (Although, I think it's largely dependent on the fans excitement level as opposed to anything specific about the stadium.)

I agree, yes I love football played outdoors, but playing in a dome doesn't change anything. Its still football.

I agree, yes I love football played outdoors, but playing in a dome doesn't change anything. Its still football.

How many years was it before a team that played in a dome won the Super Bowl? Made the Super Bowl?

In 41 Super Bowls, 3 "dome teams" have played in it, 2 have won it.

Current dome teams: 7. Dome teams that have made the playoffs: 6 all of them except Houston.

It must change something.

BB52Big.jpg

How many years was it before a team that played in a dome won the Super Bowl? Made the Super Bowl?

Current dome teams: 7. Dome teams that have made the playoffs: 6 all of them except Houston.

I honestly don't get what you're point out here. I get the stats...what are you trying to prove with them?

The Anoka County version of the Vikings stadium is off the board. They won't build in Blaine.

Stadium commission members have been going around Minnesota talking about a new stadium. To my knowledge, nothing is set in place, but it's likely either the Metrodome will be torn down and replaced with a different stadium or a stadium will be built next to the Metrodome and then the Metrodome will be torn down.

I don't totally get what your getting at but the way I see it. There a 7 teams who play in domes... and there are 25 other team who play outdoors... so the odds against a dome team winning the super bowl is already low. Just because the fact there aren't that many dome teams.

I honestly don't get what you're point out here. I get the stats...what are you trying to prove with them?

I'm just saying that if you look at playoff history, dome teams don't fare well once they have to head outside. So unless you're the #1 seed you're likely to move outdoors at some point. I think history shows that Dome teams on the road in January don't do well. Dome teams outdoors on the road in conference championships are 0-10. The only dome team to win a conference championship on the road was Atlanta, and they did it in Minnesota.

So there must be a little bit of a difference between outdoor football and indoor football.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm just saying that if you look at playoff history, dome teams don't fare well once they have to head outside. So unless you're the #1 seed you're likely to move outdoors at some point. I think history shows that Dome teams on the road in January don't do well. Dome teams outdoors on the road in conference championships are 0-10. The only dome team to win a conference championship on the road was Atlanta, and they did it in Minnesota.

So there must be a little bit of a difference between outdoor football and indoor football.

Alright... All I can say is everything is the same. Except for the field surface, and now days turf is damn near feels real. I just don't see how it would effect the game that much.

I don't totally get what your getting at but the way I see it. There a 7 teams who play in domes... and there are 25 other team who play outdoors... so the odds against a dome team winning the super bowl is already low. Just because the fact there aren't that many dome teams.

These are the dome teams that have played in the super bowl or in a conference championship...

Indianapolis, Houston (Oilers), New Orleans, Minnesota, Atlanta, St. Louis, Detroit. None of them have ever won a conference championship game outdoors to get to it. Playing in a dome does have an effect. It's not the turf. It's the climate control. No rain, no wind, no anything. I guess that's my point.

BB52Big.jpg

These are the dome teams that have played in the super bowl or in a conference championship...

Indianapolis, Houston (Oilers), New Orleans, Minnesota, Atlanta, St. Louis, Detroit. None of them have ever won a conference championship game outdoors to get to it. Playing in a dome does have an effect. It's not the turf. It's the climate control. No rain, no wind, no anything. I guess that's my point.

But the Super Bowl is played with a roof on or in warm-weather climes...so it helps them if they get there.

From a more practical standpoint, though, most of the franchises you point out have typically been derelict franchises that have poor ownerships who may not have a commitment to winning that you see in other towns.

That said...how do warm weather teams without roofs fare in the playoffs?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Alright... All I can say is everything is the same. Except for the field surface, and now days turf is damn near feels real. I just don't see how it would effect the game that much.

the GAME is the same, yes. the players, on the other hand, are not. players not used to playing in less pristine weather tend not to play to their full ability. not playing to your full ability leads to losses. and its not just dome teams. teams that play where it's warm in january are affected too, though not as much i think.

Archived