NCAA to accept applications from CIS schools

no97

Hopefully one of these schools can work their way up to Division 1 and join Conference USA. :P

I know you're being silly, but in all serious, here's a time-line for these schools:

Apply for D-II menbership by June 8, 2008

2 year "exploratory period" for the '08-'09 and '09-'10 school years

"provisional members" of D-II (i.e. no post-season) for the '10-'11 school year

"full member" (post-season elegable) of D-II for the '11-'12 school year

As for "playing-up" to D-I in one sport (assumably hockey, as UBC has said they want to play D-I hockey, but there's no reason they couldn't try to play-up in basketball or football), here's that time-line:

There's currently a 4-year moritorium on "playing-up" that went into effect August 9, 2007

The first day the schools could (any D-II school for that matter) apply to "play-up" is August 9, 2011

2 years "provisional members" (again, no post-season) D-I for the '11-'12 and '12-'13 school years

"full menber" (post season elegable) D-I for their sport for the '13-'14 season

Moose

Most of these schools want in for hockey but SFU doesn't even have hockey.

I think with Canadian schools coming in you'll see some of the names that might head to Michigan, Miami, UND, CC, UNH, Maine, BC stay home and we may even see the elimination of UAH (although I don't want them to go) because of a lack of quality recruits. If any schools from Ontario come to the NCAA, I have a feeling most of the Ontario recruits heading to places like UAH might give staying closer to home a thought.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This is exactly why I hate the NCAA. Instead of saying ?hey, instead of needlessly enforcing the same rules we use for sports like basketball for a sport that?s played by less than 25% of our schools, let?s use that sport as an excuse to potentially eff up the entire 100+ year structure of collegiate athletics in North America? after all, it?ll make us more money, right??

First the AIAW, then the NAIA, now the CIS. The tradition of the NCAA cannibalizing other college sports organizations continues?

Hopefully one of these schools can work their way up to Division 1 and join Conference USA. :P

I know you're being silly, but in all serious, here's a time-line for these schools:

As for "playing-up" to D-I in one sport (assumably hockey, as UBC has said they want to play D-I hockey, but there's no reason they couldn't try to play-up in basketball or football), here's that time-line:

Moose

If UBC got into D-I hockey that would amazing, wouldn’t have to move. UBC also has a good baseball program (Jeff Francis's old school) and could get into that. I don’t see any CIS football teams getting into D-1, maybe Laval.

Part of the move may have to do with the lack of schools out west that play football.

This upcoming season brings about the return of football in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and it has 5 schools competing (Western Washington, Central Washington, Humbolt State (CA), Western Oregon and Dixie State [utah]). Having a school like UBC, which has football, join the GNAC could help the conference get an auto bid to the Division II playoffs.

Apply for D-II menbership by June 8, 2008

2 year "exploratory period" for the '08-'09 and '09-'10 school years

"provisional members" of D-II (i.e. no post-season) for the '10-'11 school year

"full member" (post-season elegable) of D-II for the '11-'12 school year

As for "playing-up" to D-I in one sport (assumably hockey, as UBC has said they want to play D-I hockey, but there's no reason they couldn't try to play-up in basketball or football),

Actually, any team that wants to play-up to Division I in basketball or football must move all their programs to Division I. That rule was implemented in the early 90's due to objections to from schools that were "TRUE" Division III members who didn't want schools like Georgetown, Dayton and Wagner in their division(These schools offered no scholarships in football, and still don't to this day. At the same time, they awarded scholarships for basketball and other sports as well).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Canadian Colleges play Canadian Football?

I could see a transition in football, hockey (Mostly), and Baseball. But in football? That's a complete change in philosophy.

It's really not that hard of a transition from canadian rules to american rules to be honest...the basics are all still there, just the field width, one less player and one less down...ive played both and its still basically the same game

I could see a transition in football, hockey (Mostly), and Baseball. But in football? That's a complete change in philosophy.

It's really not that hard of a transition from canadian rules to american rules to be honest...the basics are all still there, just the field width, one less player and one less down...ive played both and its still basically the same game

What about the goal post being in like the middle of the field on like the 10 yard (meter?) line? :flagcanada:

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

But you've also got a great tradition of Canadian football. Why give that up? No more Vanier Cup, etc. I just don't see a team easily translating to the american game in just one season.

Still, why would they? If your entire country plays a game one way and you want to play professionally (in the CFL) why play a different way?

Better yet who would you play. If you assume that only Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and CWUA (Canada West Schools participate) then that limits your conference choices.

It could work it will just take a lot of work.

I think Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball, are the sports to shoot for.

I'm pretty sure Simon Fraser is already a member of the NAIA.

Baseball only, I believe. I could be wrong, though.

The most alterable source on the web says Soccer, Track and Field, Softball, Cross Country, Swimming, and Men's wrestling

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Until Canada allows Sports-based scholarships to Universities, this is a wasted effort.

Even if there are Canadian Universities in the NCAA, they'll be the ones who get their asses kicked all the time.

They do already. But only athletes with 80% or over are eligible to have their tuition payed for.

1zqy8ok.gif

Until Canada allows Sports-based scholarships to Universities, this is a wasted effort.

Even if there are Canadian Universities in the NCAA, they'll be the ones who get their asses kicked all the time.

They do already. But only athletes with 80% or over are eligible to have their tuition payed for.

Yes, but that's a scholarship based on their grades of students that just happen to play sports.

I mean giving scholarships primarily for athletic purposes.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

This is exactly why I hate the NCAA. Instead of saying ?hey, instead of needlessly enforcing the same rules we use for sports like basketball for a sport that?s played by less than 25% of our schools, let?s use that sport as an excuse to potentially eff up the entire 100+ year structure of collegiate athletics in North America? after all, it?ll make us more money, right??

First the AIAW, then the NAIA, now the CIS. The tradition of the NCAA cannibalizing other college sports organizations continues?

Um, the CIS schools came to the NCAA not vice versa. The NCAA is merely allowing Canadian schools to apply and giving them a chance to be accepted. They are not going after the CIS.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived