NCAA to accept applications from CIS schools

no97

Hopefully one of these schools can work their way up to Division 1 and join Conference USA. :P

I know you're being silly, but in all serious, here's a time-line for these schools:

As for "playing-up" to D-I in one sport (assumably hockey, as UBC has said they want to play D-I hockey, but there's no reason they couldn't try to play-up in basketball or football), here's that time-line:

Moose

If UBC got into D-I hockey that would amazing, wouldn?t have to move. UBC also has a good baseball program (Jeff Francis's old school) and could get into that. I don?t see any CIS football teams getting into D-1, maybe Laval.

Laval isn't going D-1. The NCAA won't allow it as the school doesn't fund the program and it's all paid for by private investors and some players receive a stipend for playing.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Hopefully one of these schools can work their way up to Division 1 and join Conference USA. :P

I know you're being silly, but in all serious, here's a time-line for these schools:

Apply for D-II menbership by June 8, 2008

2 year "exploratory period" for the '08-'09 and '09-'10 school years

"provisional members" of D-II (i.e. no post-season) for the '10-'11 school year

"full member" (post-season elegable) of D-II for the '11-'12 school year

As for "playing-up" to D-I in one sport (assumably hockey, as UBC has said they want to play D-I hockey, but there's no reason they couldn't try to play-up in basketball or football),

Actually, any team that wants to play-up to Division I in basketball or football must move all their programs to Division I. That rule was implemented in the early 90's due to objections to from schools that were "TRUE" Division III members who didn't want schools like Georgetown, Dayton and Wagner in their division(These schools offered no scholarships in football, and still don't to this day. At the same time, they awarded scholarships for basketball and other sports as well).

There might be an exception to that rule for a hockey team since there isn't any Division II hockey, per se. There are Division II schools playing hockey, but they have to compete for the Division I championship (same goes for men's volleyball: Division II Lewis won it all two or three years ago).

Apply for D-II menbership by June 8, 2008

2 year "exploratory period" for the '08-'09 and '09-'10 school years

"provisional members" of D-II (i.e. no post-season) for the '10-'11 school year

"full member" (post-season elegable) of D-II for the '11-'12 school year

As for "playing-up" to D-I in one sport (assumably hockey, as UBC has said they want to play D-I hockey, but there's no reason they couldn't try to play-up in basketball or football),

Actually, any team that wants to play-up to Division I in basketball or football must move all their programs to Division I. That rule was implemented in the early 90's due to objections to from schools that were "TRUE" Division III members who didn't want schools like Georgetown, Dayton and Wagner in their division(These schools offered no scholarships in football, and still don't to this day. At the same time, they awarded scholarships for basketball and other sports as well).

There might be an exception to that rule for a hockey team since there isn't any Division II hockey, per se. There are Division II schools playing hockey, but they have to compete for the Division I championship (same goes for men's volleyball: Division II Lewis won it all two or three years ago).

There are NO exceptions now. Not after you read this.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived