Colts' podium helmet logo

Joshawaggie

I don't think the blue pants are so bad. I'd support wearing them for preseason games exclusively, or something like that, so that an interesting look can be used without sullying the perfection of the road whites in games that matter.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't look for any Colts changes anytime soon - especially after they won the Super Bowl last year. As for the blue pants - dead and buried. I produced the radio broadcasts for the Colts in 1995 and the story I heard was that they never went to NFL Properties for approval of the "uniform change". The league office banned the blue pants, but nobody at the Colts was complaining because they tended to lose games in them. Once they ditched the blue pants, they started winning and eventually made it to the AFC Championship Game. The blue pants are still looked upon with ridicule.

I don't doubt that there is a lot of truth to that, but for the record - I have a Style Guide sheet for the Colts with the Blue pants.

NFL Properties certainly knew about the change and produced an updated sheet.

Weird though.

Don't look for any Colts changes anytime soon - especially after they won the Super Bowl last year. As for the blue pants - dead and buried. I produced the radio broadcasts for the Colts in 1995 and the story I heard was that they never went to NFL Properties for approval of the "uniform change". The league office banned the blue pants, but nobody at the Colts was complaining because they tended to lose games in them. Once they ditched the blue pants, they started winning and eventually made it to the AFC Championship Game. The blue pants are still looked upon with ridicule.

Well they are getting a new stadium next year. It wouldn't shock me to see them update slightly.

I don't see the need for them to update a look that has way too much tradition and history behind it.

They would have done it a long time ago. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. They'll be sportin' the same garb well into the next decade.

Archived