NFL Homes and Roads that were not 'mirror' images

wman

I can think of a few offhand:

Vikings 70s-early 90's--the stripe pattern on the road white replicated what the Colts have today, the purple home used more of a sleeve stripe.

Cardinals 60s?-early 90's-

Cowboys (gimmie)

and the Philadelphia Eagles of 1996. Used a midnight green stripe and a black stripe on the road whites instead of the Eagle head. A one year wonder.

Now it's your turn...

I think that the sleeve striping for between the Dolphins home and road is different. I think the home actually has striping, and the away is just straight-up teal.

I know the Rams in the early 70s were different before they went to the ram horn-style on both uniforms. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Rams from '63-'65, and again but with new templates from from '66-'72.

I'm only going off of replicas, but the present jerseys also do not "mirror" on the shoulder stripes-the roads only have a gold stripe in between sleeve and body, while the homes have both a gold and a white stripe between body and sleeve.

Da Bears....colored jerseys' stripes are all the same color and outlined in white, the white jersey's stripes are navy-orange-navy with no outline

Lombardi-era Packers...see above Browns

current Bills

very minor, but the Raiders...black jerseys' silver numerals use no outline, road whites' black numbers have silver outline

nitpicking again, Broncos...colored jerseys' swoosh stripes are solid orange (or navy), white jersey's swoosh stripes are navy with partial orange piping

Steelers homes have alternating gold and white stripes, as opposed to the roads, which have gold stripes with black trim. I always loved how the home and roads look consistent with each other, but actually have two different stripe designs (ditto for the Bears.)

Also the Bengals. They're road jerseys have an orange shoulder yoke, while the homes are black.

The early '70s Bears (1971 or so) also count in that they appeared to use standard block numbers on the white jerseys while using the traditional rounded Bears numbers on the navy jersey.

The Cardinals also belong on this list before about the mid-1990s because they had a black outline on the numbers on the white jerseys, but no outline on the numbers on the red jerseys.

The Cardinals also belong on this list before about the mid-1990s because they had a black outline on the numbers on the white jerseys, but no outline on the numbers on the red jerseys.

Yep...that was true between 1971 and 1995. However, the homes and roads were also different between 1996 and 2004 as well.

I've mentioned this before, but the Cardinals tried Black trim on the numerals of the Red jerseys back in 1970, but thought they were too hard to read and removed them in 1971. It's kind of hard to see in this scan of mine, but you can see it here:

StLouisCardinals_1970_FredHeron.jpg

Lombardi-era Packers...see above Browns

And thanks to Vince bringing that style with him the 1969-1976 Redskins have the same mismatched stripes as the Packers (according to Football Uniforms Past & Present the 1977/78 version did have separated stripes on the road jersey).

Here is my nit-picky observation - the Steelers since adopting their current look back in 1968. The home jersey looks like it has 5 spaced stripes - narrow yellow, narrow white, wide yellow, narrow white, narrow yellow. The white jersey looks like it has 3 trimmed Northwestern stripes - narrow yellow with black border, wide yellow with black border, narrow yellow with black border. However, you could also say they have exactly the same stripe pattern - just that the black border is invisible on the black jersey and the two white stripes are invisible on the white jersey.

Also, don't forget the Colts of 1982-1987 - blue jersey with white/blue/white stripes and plain white numbers (with grey pants) at home, white jersey with blue/grey/blue stripes and grey border on the numbers (with white pants) on the road.

Also, don't forget the Colts of 1982-1987 - blue jersey with white/blue/white stripes and plain white numbers (with grey pants) at home, white jersey with blue/grey/blue stripes and grey border on the numbers (with white pants) on the road.

I'll bring this out again:

IndianapolisColts_SG_edit_1986.jpg

I can think of a few offhand:

Vikings 70s-early 90's--the stripe pattern on the road white replicated what the Colts have today, the purple home used more of a sleeve stripe.

Also vikings through mid 2000s. Colts strips on road, elastic strips at bottom of sleeve at home.

Archived