NFL Homes and Roads that were not 'mirror' images

wman

Also, don't forget the Colts of 1982-1987 - blue jersey with white/blue/white stripes and plain white numbers (with grey pants) at home, white jersey with blue/grey/blue stripes and grey border on the numbers (with white pants) on the road.

I'll bring this out again:

IndianapolisColts_SG_edit_1986.jpg

WOW!

Thats just horrible.

Almost as bad as the all blue pants they used to wear. UGH!

Some people around here give the Pats crap for having silver in their home jerseys and not in their aways, but this is a prime example of completely senseless distribution of grey thoughout an entire uni set.

Steelers homes have alternating gold and white stripes, as opposed to the roads, which have gold stripes with black trim. I always loved how the home and roads look consistent with each other, but actually have two different stripe designs (ditto for the Bears.)

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but the steelers two jerseys both have the same stripes just set on different backgrounds. It's actually the reason I like their uniforms so much even though I hate the team.

steelers.png

see how that works. The only thing that changes from jersey to jersey is the color of the numbers from white to black and the jersey from white to black. Everything else remains the same.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Steelers homes have alternating gold and white stripes, as opposed to the roads, which have gold stripes with black trim. I always loved how the home and roads look consistent with each other, but actually have two different stripe designs (ditto for the Bears.)

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but the steelers two jerseys both have the same stripes just set on different backgrounds. It's actually the reason I like their uniforms so much even though I hate the team.

steelers.png

see how that works. The only thing that changes from jersey to jersey is the color of the numbers from white to black and the jersey from white to black. Everything else remains the same.

I was thinking of reversed stripes like this: if you had a team jersey template in MSpaint, you could take the "fill with color" feature to change the home unis from the roads. You can't do that with the Steelers, because you'd be missing the two outermost lines on the road sleeve stripes, plus the outline on the road names. That's why I consider the Steelers to have two different stripe patterns that are designed to produce the same effect despite being on two different backgrounds. But that is getting very nit-picky, i suppose. But whatever you want to call it, it's my favorite aspect of the Steelers' look as well.

Also, don't forget the Colts of 1982-1987 - blue jersey with white/blue/white stripes and plain white numbers (with grey pants) at home, white jersey with blue/grey/blue stripes and grey border on the numbers (with white pants) on the road.

(awesome image)

WOW - I don't remember that one! I'm looking for pics of that uniform online, but does anyone have any pics closer at hand they could post?

2002 Redskins: current uniform on the road; throwbacks at home

1984 - 1992 Patriots: red jersey had even spaced shoulder stripes (white/blue/white) while white jersey had thick red / thin white / thick blue / thin white / thick red shoulder stripes.

1993 Pats jerseys had a minor difference as well: blue jerseys used two color numbers (red on white) and the white jerseys used three-color numbers (red on white on blue.)

Oh, and the Cowboys. Or did someone already say that one? :-)

(awesome image)

WOW - I don't remember that one! I'm looking for pics of that uniform online, but does anyone have any pics closer at hand they could post?

One must know where to look. Never fret, though...I got you here:

243436.jpg

76691276.jpg

51253487.jpg

(Kinda hard to see the gray, but still...)

...I'da never believed myself that the Colts ever used any other color besides blue...but being that I was like 0-5 years old at this time, I'da never known anyway. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Didn't the Cardinals have some fairly gaudy black and red striping on their white uniforms in the 70's or 80's? (That's one thing I'd always liked about the Cardinals: They never seemed to fool around with their home look except for that black outlining thing for a little bit. They were always just red on white, no stripes. Then they messed up and went 'modern.')

They aren't terrible, I guess, but the grey definitely wasn't an improvement.

What I always thought was so odd was that it was most definitely gray, not silver, and a light shade that that. The gray in the stripes of those pics almost look like an optical illiusion, that's how light it is. The gray pants looked pretty crappy too.

The reason I remember these uniforms is because the Colts went 0-8-1 the first year they wore them in the 1982 strike year, which makes them the NFL's last winless team even though no one ever remembers that (probably because it was a strike year and everything is seen as an abberation).

Didn't the Cardinals have some fairly gaudy black and red striping on their white uniforms in the 70's or 80's?

Like these? This pic is from 1968 and shows the "lots 'o stripes" Cards unis from back then. The Saints couldn't even get everybody in the same pants (note right tackle w/ opposite stripes).

Auto107.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Like these? This pic is from 1968 and shows the "lots 'o stripes" Cards unis from back then. The Saints couldn't even get everybody in the same pants (note right tackle w/ opposite stripes).

I always liked those uniforms a lot. Eventually, the Cardinals eliminated the bottom red and black stripes, made the others narrower and added a bird head to the sleeve. That was a downgrade to me (at least when they still had sleeves).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived