It's been FIFTY YEARS already!

wdm1219inpenna

Time and time and time again, I have heard "the New York FOOTBALL Giants". I understand that they had to be called that prior to 1958, before the New York BASEBALL Giants hightailed it to Frisco, but it's been FIFTY BLESSED YEARS!!!!!!!! There is ONLY a New York Giants FOOTBALL team now, and technically, they're not even from NEW YORK anymore! I wish they'd stop it. It's very old, it's over, just call them the Giants for corn sake!

(Rant mode off)...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time and time and time again, I have heard "the New York FOOTBALL Giants". I understand that they had to be called that prior to 1958, before the New York BASEBALL Giants hightailed it to Frisco, but it's been FIFTY BLESSED YEARS!!!!!!!! There is ONLY a New York Giants FOOTBALL team now, and technically, they're not even from NEW YORK anymore! I wish they'd stop it. It's very old, it's over, just call them the Giants for corn sake!

(Rant mode off)...

So is saying "Frisco." Also, some of your commas are incorrectly placed.

I could be wrong but the official name could still be the New York Football Giants.

As far as I know, that's true. In fact... http://www.giants.com/contact.asp confirms that.

I thought that was just announcers being all jokey and old school...I seriously did not know that the Giants still officially refer to themselves as the Football Giants. Hm. Learn something new everyday.

Time and time and time again, I have heard "the New York FOOTBALL Giants". I understand that they had to be called that prior to 1958, before the New York BASEBALL Giants hightailed it to Frisco, but it's been FIFTY BLESSED YEARS!!!!!!!!

the baseball Giants never moved to Frisco, Texas.

they moved to San Francisco, California.

I could be wrong but the official name could still be the New York Football Giants.

As far as I know, that's true. In fact... http://www.giants.com/contact.asp confirms that.

I thought that was just announcers being all jokey and old school...I seriously did not know that the Giants still officially refer to themselves as the Football Giants. Hm. Learn something new everyday.

I didn't know that either.

But I have been referring to them as the Football Giants lately to see if it annoys people. Not as many as I would have thought.

As a side note, since it's been mentioned a couple times: I'm going to continue to refer to San Francisco as Frisco, and the folks who get annoyed by that and correct me only make me want to do it more.

Well, sometimes Chris Berman even refers to the Jets as "the New York Football Jets", as if they were ever in any danger of being confused with the erstwhile WHA/NHL outfit in Winnipeg.

CCSLC signature.png

(Rant mode off)...

So is saying "Frisco." Also, some of your commas are incorrectly placed.

OMMF is really a grammar nazi!

Well, sometimes Chris Berman even refers to the Jets as "the New York Football Jets", as if they were ever in any danger of being confused with the erstwhile WHA/NHL outfit in Winnipeg.

Yeah...and he calls the NFC North the NFC Norris-which also got old years ago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Time and time and time again, I have heard "the New York FOOTBALL Giants". I understand that they had to be called that prior to 1958, before the New York BASEBALL Giants hightailed it to Frisco, but it's been FIFTY BLESSED YEARS!!!!!!!!

Didn't you say that to me like 2 weeks ago?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Didn't you say that to me like 2 weeks ago?

You're damn right I did, and I will continue to make the correction as long as you dimwits continue to confuse the two cities.

(Rant mode off)...

It's simply tradition coupled with common parlance... before the baseball team moved to FRISCO, the football team used it to distinguish themselves. Nowadays it's used by fans simply because it's always been used by fans, in much the same way people sometimes still slip up and say "Los Angeles Rams," "Baltimore Colts," or "Washington Senators." It's not necessarily deliberate; just a sort of programmed response.

nav-logo.png

Wait a minute. You heard Chris Berman making some sort of stale, trite joke? I find that hard to believe.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

... and was never accurate because, there was (and still) no NFL team based in Toronto ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I thought that too. In fact, I kind of blamed Chris Berman for it. Kind of like McGriff the Crime Dog.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I admit I still like that one...cuz I was all about the North Stars back then and I like any reference to my "good ole days" of hockey. But I wonder how many people hear that and don't get it. There has not been a Norris Division for some time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's simply tradition coupled with common parlance... before the baseball team moved to FriscoSan Francisco, the football team used it to distinguish themselves. Nowadays it's used by fans simply because it's always been used by fans, in much the same way people sometimes still slip up and say "Los Angeles Rams," "Baltimore Colts," or "Washington Senators." It's not necessarily deliberate; just a sort of programmed response.

real mature old man.

Isnt there a fantasy league somewhere that youre not a part of that you could be interfering with?

Archived