Commissioner for Life

Mac the Knife

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So wait, even with the whole Steroid Era basically being under his watch, the owners give him an extension???

I guess this was for the fact that despite the 'Roids, teams are still making money, and I guess it's really all about the Benjis.

Of course the owners would extend him....He is such a puppet for the owners in the league it's beyond belief...

Well, he is employed by the owners, and he represents all the owners, so one's puppet is another's model employee.

Your indignation seems to be misplaced.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Wow, Selig should have resigned after the Mitchell Report came out. He is mostly (if not totally) responsible for the steriod mess baseball is in now. I can't believe he'll be around another 5 seasons, its a joke.

The only real good I see of this is that maybe Andy MacPhail will stay with the O's a little longer. I was worried he'd become commissioner in 2009 after Selig, before he could really help the O's at all. Of course, that's only good if he's actually different than past GMs under Angelos (which so far hasn't really happened, but I can be patient with him).

Of course the owners would extend him....He is such a puppet for the owners in the league it's beyond belief...

Well, he is employed by the owners, and he represents all the owners, so one's puppet is another's model employee.

Except the whole idea of having a commissioner is that he looks out for the best interests of BASEBALL (the players, managers, fans, umpires, etc.), not just the owners. The reason baseball was forced to get a commish in the first place is because the owners were ridiculously corrupt (i.e. Black Sox Scandal) and needed to be saved from themselves. (sound familiar?)

Except the whole idea of having a commissioner is that he looks out for the best interests of BASEBALL (the players, managers, fans, umpires, etc.), not just the owners. The reason baseball was forced to get a commish in the first place is because the owners were ridiculously corrupt (i.e. Black Sox Scandal) and needed to be saved from themselves. (sound familiar?)

Well the people who hire him (owners) would have deposed him and then promoted another one of their own who is even more malleable to their cause. The "best interests of baseball" is just words that don't have any real meaning nowadays.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What a debacle.

I am so incredibly disgusted with baseball as a whole and the St. Louis Cardinals. It really is all about money, that's the only conceivable justification for extending Selig's contract. He is easily the worst commissioner in baseball history.

As for the Cardinals, they trade Scott Rolen, among the best third basemen in the game in recent memory for Troy Glaus a guilty steroid/hgh user. Glaus goes on a local radio show yesterday and dodges 5 consecutive questions about his name in the Mitchell Report. The host, Kevin Slaton gave him ample opportunity to either deny it or admit to it and move on but he just refused to answer the questions. Great first impression on the Cardinals fans there Glaus. The Cardinals ownership has turned into a bunch of money grabbing, cheap bastards who willingly rip off the fans in this city because they know Busch will be full night in and night out regardless.

This move could have been avoided if Tony LaRussa had shut his trap and quit mouthing off to the media about how big of a baby Rolen was, when in fact Rolen was the one handling the rift with class.

This could be a really long baseball season....I'd like to say I won't go to any games but it is unlikely that I have that kind of willpower.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

So Selig is commissioner for life.... until 2012? Time to put Selig in the '2012 dead pool.'

The header is based on the fact that in each of the last three times he's come within a year of the expiration of his contract, it suddenly gets renewed despite his repeated statements that he's stepping down. Kind of the equivalent of Julius Caesar refusing the crown of Rome.

nav-logo.png

Anybody not mind Bud Selig?

I certainly don't agree with all of his moves, but in general, they've been good for baseball.

The steroids thing is a mess, but it'd be wrong to put on soley on his feet. Yes, he's the head of the league and very much responsible, but it also doesn't mean there's a lot he could have done. Everyone turned a blind eye, that's how it was.

Now he's doing a pretty admirable job to erradicate the problem. Baseball continues to grow.

And I truly believe he loves the sport and makes every move he does with his love for the game in mind (though his job is also to be profit driven).

But then again, I don't hate Gary Bettman either. Go figure.

Of course, I don't like Goddell and I didn't like Tagliabue either.

In the past I would've said this would be a bad move, as Bud's made some pretty awful mistakes (The all-star game tie), but right now I think he's done a pretty good job at wanting to improve the steroid situation, and I think it would be wrong to vote bud out right now as their in the middle of a huge court hearing and it would cause quite a few problems, at least that's what I think.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Looks like Montreal will have to wait a bit longer for MLB to return

MON AMOURS FOREVER!!!!

How can you get any longer than forever?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So Selig is commissioner for life.... until 2012? Time to put Selig in the '2012 dead pool.'

The header is based on the fact that in each of the last three times he's come within a year of the expiration of his contract, it suddenly gets renewed despite his repeated statements that he's stepping down. Kind of the equivalent of Julius Caesar refusing the crown of Rome.

... or Tim Wakefield's contract!

Anyways, I think we need a different direction. He has done a respectable job as commish, but as much as he brought us out of 1994, baseball is a mess now. I don't think he'll be the Savior, so please let this be his last contract.

Remember, Bud... you're only commissioner for life. :evil:

Personally I was hoping Mitt Romney would be the next commissioner, that is if he doesn't win the GOP presidential nomination. Now Romney can run for the Oval Office again before Selig's term is up. Swell.

CCSLC signature.png

Anybody not mind Bud Selig?

I certainly don't agree with all of his moves, but in general, they've been good for baseball.

The steroids thing is a mess, but it'd be wrong to put on soley on his feet. Yes, he's the head of the league and very much responsible, but it also doesn't mean there's a lot he could have done. Everyone turned a blind eye, that's how it was.

Now he's doing a pretty admirable job to erradicate the problem. Baseball continues to grow.

I know steriods aren't all his fault. What really bothers me about him is the way he approaches them. He could have taken care of the problem in 1998 during the homerun chase. I remember McGwire being accused late in that summer. But instead he just swept it under the rug, so he could win back the fans. Now he wants to act like he's a big hero and going to be the one that cleans up baseball, when its his fault it got this bad.

Archived