Will the nhl shut down next season

JQK

The NHL is facing it's biggest crisis in it's eighty-seven season history. Even '94 didn't have this feeling of hopelessness.

The NHL could have a new CBA by September, and things go on as normal, or the NHL could shut down, but unlike '94, the chances of the season being saved by that point would be hovering just above zero.

This is the future of the NHL. If there is a prolonged lockout/strike, the NHL may simply have to fold, or make drastic changes to itself, replacing the NHL as we know it.

Do you feel optimistic about the CBA, or do you see nothing but doom and gloom, or do you simply not have an opinion yet?

Vote Now.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This was gonna happen after '94.  The NHL put a complete UFA system in, with nothing to check it.  The NFL system only worked becasue they put the salary cap in as a check.  It will be next to impossible for the NHL to get the season next year.

Interestingly, most Canadian teams are hoping for a strike.

I hope it kills a few teams, seriously.

I would like to hope that both sides are not completly retarded, becuase iof they completely shut down next year thats what they will have to be.

I see a Lockout, but I think that eventually they will come to their senses, like the NHL did in 94/95 and the NBA in 98/99.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I just hope that the networks with NHL TV contracts have the good sense to put some minor league hockey on the tube rather than fill the void with lumberjack competitions and whatever the poker competition is that is NOT the World Poker Tour.

Although, I do have to say that were it not for the 94 lockout I probably wouldn't know who Magnus VerMagnuson is.

i honestly think that the NHL players will go on strike. Ray Ferraro said the other day on NHL 2nite that the NHL will make an agreement and will play next year but i cant see this happening.

if this does happen, i hope they put college hockey games on the air. those are the best to watch and no TV timeouts

untitled-1.png

i honestly think that the NHL players will go on strike.

Nitpicking, I know...

The players will not strike.  They're happy the way things are (financially) and would continue to play next season under the current CBA.  The owners (at least some of them) are the ones who are unhappy, so if a new CBA isn't reached, they'll lock the players out so they don't have to keep operating under the current CBA.

If there is no NHL season next year the futire of hockey will be in doubt, so they better really thread carefully.

I think a problem was the lockout 10 years ago comming off one of the greates playoffs ever the NHL shuts down.

In addition with no World Series they could of had the scene all to themselves in October durring the week, plus with a new TV contract they seriously screwed up and blew any chance of gaining momentum off the 94 playoffs.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I hope it kills a few teams, seriously.

Some teams will definatly die off if there is no hockey next season

1- they need the money from gate revenues to operate

2- there are teams that have a unstable fan base as it is, who knows if these fans will come back after a strike/lockout/whatever this spat is called. Can many teams afford to alienate their fanbases and hope to survive in the future?

I dont like contraction but if anyone has to go let it be these 6.

Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, Phoenix, Anaheim, and Florida.

I think Florida should have on team and since the Lightning are a good team they can stay.

LA area only needs one team, and since the KIngs have been around for nearly 40 years theys get to stay.

Nash, Atl and Car will never draw well and a NHL team in Phoenix is just wrong to start with.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Let's make two leagues--Northern teams and Southern teams--then play a "Super Bowl" type series (which would take place in July?)

Okay--forget that.

In some ways, a strike/lockout could help the NHL-

give some sense of reality to them (it's only a game)

Weed out some owners, teams, players,

and some others--

But my only concern are the people whose livlihood is tied to the teams (such as arena workers, team employees not in management, coaching, etc.)who probably don't make much to start with.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Nash, Atl and Car will never draw well and a NHL team in Phoenix is just wrong to start with.

How do you know they will never draw well? The Thrashers are really beginning to catch on in Atlanta, and once they start making the playoffs, I'm sure they'll pack in even more. It takes a while to grow a franchise.

And just for the record, Atlanta has been drawing more fans this year (14,757) than New Jersey (14,389).

I, for one, don't want to see any team go. I'd hate to see any community lose their team, along with the jobs that go with them...

I dont wnat to see any temas go either but if any teams have to go I hope its out of those 6 I mentioned.

Atlanta is a horrible sports town.

They have trouble selling out Braves playoff games. Hockey fialed in the 70s it will fail again. The Hawks stink right now, so they are having trouble drawing but have they ever really drawn well?

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Atlanta isn't a horrible sports town. I live here. I've lived in "sports" towns such as Pittsburgh and Cleveland and DC and sports are just as big here as other cities.

1) The Braves don't sell out playoff games because they always get shafted with day playoff games that people can't go to. Also, yes, there is a general apathy to the Braves, because they are good, but never great... but mainly because AOL doesn't know how to run a professional sports franchise and needs to be out of the ownership game.

2) The Flames didn't fail here. They drew well, but the owner moved the team to improve his pocket book. The Thrashers are really growing a fan-base here and will succeed as long as the team continues to perform playoff-level hockey with young stars like Kovalchuk and Heatley.

3) If you lived in Atlanta, you'd hate how much UGA Football dominates the news here (unless you were a UGA fan). I'm talking front-page news, not just the sports section. College sports are rediculously popular here.

4) The Falcons have sold out every game the past two seasons.

5) Yes, the Hawks sucks. Nobody likes the Hawks. The Hawks are a horrible product and I wouldn't mind one bit if they left town.

Anyway, the point is perception isn't always truth. Atlanta's a good sports town, with great facilities. Why do you think All-Star Games and Super Bowls and NCAA Championships keep coming here?

I don't want to argue about this, but as an Atlantan I'm sick of seeing our town beat down as a horrible sports town when it is not.

Archived