Some Baseball Trivia for y'all

mantleisthebest7

Hey y'all!

I'm in a baseball hall of fame trivia mood, so here we go!

1. The Yankees have one retired number that is issued to two different players. Who are these players and what is the number?

2. Mickey Mantle originally wore a different number in his rookie year and started wearing number 7 in his second year. The equipment manager gave Mickey this different number originally on purpose for a specific reason. What was this number and why did he issue it to Mickey?

3. Who did Duke Snider wear number 4 in honor of?

4. Mickey Cochrane suffered from a nervous breakdown late in his baseball career. This eventually ended his managing career prematurely. His playing career also ended prematurely, but in a seperate event. What caused his early retirement?

5. Who is the only HOF relief pitcher to ever throw a no-hitter?

6. Who is the only black player to ever win the triple crown, and when did he do it?

7. Which 500 home run club member was famous for cutting his sleeves nearly off, though the style at the time was a longer uniform sleeve? (Hint: he hit 534 home runs in his career)

8. Who held the all time record for most home runs before Babe Ruth and how many did he hit in his career?

9. Which HOFer was nicknamed, "Wahoo Sam" ?

10. Who was the first player to ever hit 3,000 hits and 500 home runs?

---Bonus---

Name that HOFer:

I hit 379 homers in my career along with 2,732 hits and 1,652 RBIs. Though I was never the star on my team, I was considered thier workhorse by my manager and was also known as one of the most clutch players of my era. I played for four different teams in 23 seasons from 1964-1986. Who am I?

---------------

Have fun with these! I'll have alot more coming!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

1. #8. Berra and Dickey.

2. #6. Because after Ruth (#3), Gehrig (#4) and DiMaggio (#5), Mantle was to be the "next in line" for stardom.

7. Harmon Killebrew.

8. Roger Connor. No idea on the exact number but I think it was in the 100-150 range.

You got 1,2, and 8 right. But #7 is not Harmon Killebrew.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

3. Lou Gehrig?

5. Dennis Eckersley

7. Jimmie Foxx

10. Hank Aaron?

Well, 3,7,10 are correct. But I'll explain number 5. Eckersley spent the beginning of his career as a starter, and pitched the no-hitter in a season in which he was a starter. The man I'm looking for did it in rare start in a season which he was striclty a relief pitcher, so he was technically a relief pitcher when he did it. Yes, I realize that Eck is in the Hall mostly for his relief efforts, but the Hall Of Famer i'm looking for did it in season in hwich he was a reliever, just in a rare start. Sorry If this causes any confusion. I'll give you half a point, infared41 ^_^

Any guesses on the others? #4 and the bonus "Who Am I" still need an answer.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Eckersley spent the beginning of his career as a starter, and pitched the no-hitter in a season in which he was a starter. The man I'm looking for did it in rare start in a season which he was striclty a relief pitcher, so he was technically a relief pitcher when he did it. Yes, I realize that Eck is in the Hall mostly for his relief efforts, but the Hall Of Famer i'm looking for did it in season in hwich he was a reliever, just in a rare start. Sorry If this causes any confusion. I'll give you half a point, infared41 ^_^

OK how about Hoyt Wilhelm for the reliever?

The who am I is Tony Perez.

Robinson won the triple crown in 1966 I think. I wasn't paying close enough attention. I didn't see that you wanted the year he did it.

BB52Big.jpg

Eckersley spent the beginning of his career as a starter, and pitched the no-hitter in a season in which he was a starter. The man I'm looking for did it in rare start in a season which he was striclty a relief pitcher, so he was technically a relief pitcher when he did it. Yes, I realize that Eck is in the Hall mostly for his relief efforts, but the Hall Of Famer i'm looking for did it in season in hwich he was a reliever, just in a rare start. Sorry If this causes any confusion. I'll give you half a point, infared41 ^_^

OK how about Hoyt Wilhelm for the reliever?

The who am I is Tony Perez.

Robinson won the triple crown in 1966 I think. I wasn't paying close enough attention. I didn't see that you wanted the year he did it.

Youre right on all three, my friend!

Now all that needs to be is answered is #4.

P.S: Sorry for the confusion on that question, infared41!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Well, looks like I stumped y'all on #4.

Here's the answer:

Mickey Cochrane retired prematurely because of a beaning by Yankees pitcher Bump Hadley, which fractured his skull in three places. Despite his shortened career, Mickey went on to be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame as a catcher in 1947.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Archived