Behind the Patriots logo

DrBear

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the article:

So they could design a football logo with no parameters. The only thing certain was that they did not want it to be like the old Patriots logo, a smirking Minuteman in a three-point stance.

Said Evenson: "It was the ugliest logo around. I figured we could do something more streamlined."

What? This, ugly??

PatriotslogoPatPatriot.gif

It was hard to duplicate when I scribbled logos in my notebooks as a kid, but...still.

From the article:

So they could design a football logo with no parameters. The only thing certain was that they did not want it to be like the old Patriots logo, a smirking Minuteman in a three-point stance.

Said Evenson: "It was the ugliest logo around. I figured we could do something more streamlined."

What? This, ugly??

PatriotslogoPatPatriot.gif

It was hard to duplicate when I scribbled logos in my notebooks as a kid, but...still.

I miss that old logo the and the days the Pats wore it

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Thanks for sharing - the story goes to show you, that luck and imagination can stir the country. One of you could be that story next time.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Thanks for sharing - the story goes to show you, that luck and imagination can stir the country. One of you could be that story next time.

It's possible...for a lower-tier sports league, maybe.

And I only say that because of what happened with that security guard and the Baltimore Ravens and the tussle they had over the rights to one of the logos they used to use back when the team was first born ('96, was it?)

IIRC, that's one of (if not THE) reasons the NFL pretty much put a ban on teams soliciting design proposals from private entities (read: you, I, or any other singular person...I think that's how that goes). Which is really a damn shame, because some of the stuff I've seen pop up in here (in particular that of PthenextD and the artist formerly known as Tempest, for starters) FAR trumps what some of the teams in major pro sports are wearing these days.

But hey...like DJay says at the end of Hustle And Flow:

"You know what they say...everybody gotta have a dream." ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

What? This, ugly??

Yes. Absolutely terrible. It's big, clunky, over-detailed to the point of difficult replication, and it's representative of a horrible football team. The tricorner-hat helmet logo is the only Patriots-related visual--that includes helmets, logos, wordmarks, uniforms, everything--that isn't a design failure. Think about it. Pat Patriot, Flying Elvis, drop-shadowed numbers on striped jerseys, the big clunky Patriots script from the 70s and 80s, all bad at all times.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Great story. Wonder how many well known logos came about in a similar way,

Also what was the story behind the ravens logo?? Also suprised they haven't got onto the Manchester Phoenix about stealing it

logo.png

It's possible...for a lower-tier sports league, maybe.

And I only say that because of what happened with that security guard and the Baltimore Ravens and the tussle they had over the rights to one of the logos they used to use back when the team was first born ('96, was it?)

IIRC, that's one of (if not THE) reasons the NFL pretty much put a ban on teams soliciting design proposals from private entities (read: you, I, or any other singular person...I think that's how that goes). Which is really a damn shame, because some of the stuff I've seen pop up in here (in particular that of PthenextD and the artist formerly known as Tempest, for starters) FAR trumps what some of the teams in major pro sports are wearing these days.

But hey...like DJay says at the end of Hustle And Flow:

"You know what they say...everybody gotta have a dream." ^_^

It could be one of us. That is, if a person has the skills, experience and lands a job at the right studio. The amateur off the street? Only if they decide to surrender all rights for little compensation. Think about the cash the Manitoba Moose have made off of Sterling's design. It really is obscene. If it were a foot in the door to other work, then maybe it would be worth it. Yes, the Moose had other people involved tweaking the design. Still, I think it is kind of sad that teams take advantage of people as if they were a wallflower waiting to be asked to dance. Would it really kill a team to throw in something more than season tickets or a :censored:ing jersey?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

What? This, ugly??

Yes. Absolutely terrible. It's big, clunky, over-detailed to the point of difficult replication, and it's representative of a horrible football team. The tricorner-hat helmet logo is the only Patriots-related visual--that includes helmets, logos, wordmarks, uniforms, everything--that isn't a design failure. Think about it. Pat Patriot, Flying Elvis, drop-shadowed numbers on striped jerseys, the big clunky Patriots script from the 70s and 80s, all bad at all times.

Obviously, we disagree. Within the context of NFL logos--and for the sake of discussion, I'll stick to the Patriot Pat era logos-- we have those that are truly simple and straightforward (the Bears, Cowboys and Colts, for example) and those which are detailed (Pat, the Dolphins, the Redskins, Tampa), all iconic in their own way. I generally prefer the simple, minimalist designs, but what makes observing logos and uniforms fun, for me, is when we are treated to variety and originality, specifically when those which break the mold are really well rendered. To me, Patriot Pat exemplifies the best of difficult to replicate logos: it's original, it's got a sense of humor, it's well-drawn--by hand, it says football. I'm okay with fussy and detailed design when it's done right. And Pat is.

I have nothing against the Flying Elvis. It just seems generic and flat to me.

People like to call it the "Flying Elvis", but I always thought it was a (literal) patriot missile. It least it made more sense that way.

It can't be, though, the Patriots are on target too often.

Nice article.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I personally think that the old Pats logo is awesome. It looked really cool on the helmets, too. Though I hate the Patriots with a passion, I will say that the Flying elvis is a great logo, also. I just think that this story is really cool, jsut how two regular studio workers came up with a huge logo, It's just pretty cool.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it. The story would be better if the logo was better; IMO it looks like what it is, something doodled by a college intern. And what's with the whining over what they were paid? They're valuing the work in hindsight. The designers accepted the terms at the time. If they didn't have the vision to negotiate more favorable terms in the event the logo was the one chosen, that's not the Patriots' fault.

I'm not being harsh here, that's just how I see it.

The logo has another distinction...Curtis Martin is in a dome here, but when outside, it was the first jersey logo to be visible from space. :D

4martin126.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived