Minnesota IceBandits

BostonBlazer

I must've put more time into this concept than all the others I've done. It took me a total of six hours to complete this logo I came up with. I first drew this by hand and then I scanned it, vectorized it, cleaned it up, vectorized it again, cleaned it up again, and now it's finally done (I think).

MIB2.jpg

It looks good for a start, and I applaud the time you put into it. I will say that I'm not feeling the colors - they scream "hockey team from the mid 1990's". Also I think just a little more detail is needed, but after that you'll be golden. Keep it up, man!

EDIT: Thats post #475 for me!

Mmm... I think it has plenty of detail where it is now. But I will use a different color scheme.

In a way it almost has too much detail. It kinda just looks like a drawing rather than a logo but its still good. Cant say I am too keen on the colors though. Perhaps for Minnesota try some green or darkish colors.

Mmm... I think it has plenty of detail where it is now. But I will use a different color scheme.

I was talking about shading and stuff. As far as the initial detail, yes you did very well. It just seems to me like you need more shading here and there.

I think maroon and gold (Minnesota Gophers) would look great.

I disagree mantle, I don't think it needs any more detail. It just needs a lot of cleaning up and small changes. For instance, the white part of the left ear doesn't line up with the ear itself. I think the hands need to be a lot bigger (looks like he's from that new Burger King commercial, the dude with the tiny hands), and I think some shading could add a lot to it.

Look around the boards and see what makes the great logos great. Like Josh said, it's too much of drawing and not a logo. When I first started making logos (like 3 months ago, haha) they were too much of drawings and not logos. It has to be smooth, often try to minimilize the amount of lines you use.

Also, one last thing. Your logos will look looot more professional and better overall if a THICK outline is used, not a thin one.

EDIT: Thats post #475 for me!

and you're at 532 currently...over 50 posts in a 26 hour period...wow

as for the "logo", it doesn't scream logo to me - more like an illustration or a cartoon - that's not to say it's bad, but it's not a logo, really, if you ask me

To be honest, it looks like little to no vector work was done with the logo. The lines appear to be choppy; uncharacteristic of vector work. Also, I think there is too much detail...making it appear to be a drawing or cartoon rather than a logo for a sports team.

Another thing that bothers me is the ear...that HUGE white area coupled with the cap half-way disappearing gets to me for some reason.

I think you have something here, but could spend some time improving some crucial elements of the logo to make it appear more professional.

I took out a few things, changed the color scheme as well as a few other things, and did more cleaning up (which was less painful than the cleanup after the first vectorization). I changed the aqua to grey. I'm still sticking with cool colors only and not using hot colors. I did all I could re-working the outline. Like I said earlier, it started out as a drawing, which is why it looks like what it is.

MIB4A.png

I took out a few things, changed the color scheme as well as a few other things, and did more cleaning up (which was less painful than the cleanup after the first vectorization). I changed the aqua to grey. I'm still sticking with cool colors only and not using hot colors. I did all I could re-working the outline. Like I said earlier, it started out as a drawing, which is why it looks like what it is.]

other than the colors, i don't see much difference - the excuse that it started as a drawing is not valid...every one of my logo concepts starts as a drawing, and i'm able to get nice clean lines - that's because rather than just performing a live trace, i actually trace the drawing using the pen tool in illustrator (there are similar tools in most other vector programs and even in some raster programs like paint shop pro...which i used until about a year ago for all of my logos) - there was at one time a great tracing tutorial on these boards (and it's probably still kicking around somewhere)...i apologize, but i can't remember who authored it (maybe pcqd?) - i would recommend taking this route to vectorize your drawings, rather than using a short cut - if this IS what you did, then i can't help :)

edit: i see that the new one is missing the hat, ribbing on the collar/sleeves and tape on the stick...not sure that losing these was a significant improvement, but it is a slight improvement

I still don't see the vector work in this. Are you SURE you are vectorizing it yourself...and not just loading an image into Illustrator and doing an auto-trace or auto-vector? If you did it yourself, I just don't see how it could be this choppy...regardless if you go from drawing or not- the point is to clean up the drawing...not vector every little etch. Look at the eyes bro, they are choppy.

Archived