Super Bowl XLII

rainmaker17

Based on the coverage I have seen...I would like to nominate Junior Seau as the likely "Mercury Morris" annoying guy who needs to shut up from this Patriots squad ten years down the road.

You sure it won't be Rodney Harrison?

Actually the '72 Dolphins also have more people who most would class as "annoying".

Seau might actually get interviewed/etc. I have stronger doubts about people wanting to talk to Harrison when his playing career is over.

I'm just throwing it out there....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GO...GIANTS!!!

[Forrest Gump]...And that's all I have to say about that.[/Forrest Gump]

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Some highlights from Commissioner Roger Goodell's press conference today -- SpyGate was heavily addressed:

On SpyGate:

"I don't think it taints their accomplishments," Goodell said. "What they did this season was done within the rules, on a level playing field. There are very good explanations why I destroyed the tapes, or had them destroyed by our staff."

From ESPN.com's Mike Sando concerning the destruction of the Patriots' tapes and notes:

Commissioner Roger Goodell said the NFL destroyed six tapes in the Spygate investigation. Some were from the 2007 exhibition season. Some were from late in the 2006 season, he said. The league also collected notes that may or may not have been gathered in violation of NFL rules, Goodell said. These were also destroyed.

"We felt that was appropriate since we could not determine" how the notes were collected. I'm sure Sen. Arlen Specter will have some additional questions. The league said it didn't receive his letters demanding elaboration until quite recently. "There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories. I'm not sure there is a coach in the league that doesn't expect that their signals are being intercepted by some way by opposing teams. That is why they go to the great lengths (to conceal signals)."

Why destroy the tapes? "It was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions. I wanted to make sure that bit of information did not appear, that if it did, (the league knew) they did not hand over all the inforamtion. They certified in writing" that all evidence had been handed over to the league.

More highlights to come later...

Now I'm more confused. Why didn't he say this in September? It seems like it would have saved a lot of grief for everyone.

EDIT-I would like to know what games precisely they did see.

Today, we are all otaku.

He specified that there were a couple at the end of last regular season, and a few from this preseason. (And the beginning of the Jets game this year, obviously.) Looking at the schedule, it doesn't look like the Pats had the opportunity to actually use the tapes.

He specified that there were a couple at the end of last regular season, and a few from this preseason. (And the beginning of the Jets game this year, obviously.) Looking at the schedule, it doesn't look like the Pats had the opportunity to actually use the tapes.

So why did the Patriots tape them then?

Today, we are all otaku.

Personally I think the 'SpyGate' incident has been really overblown. Goodell to his credit didn't glaze over it, but what comments he did make seemed to make it clear that it wasn't a big deal, and didn't impact the outcome of any games. I'm satisfied with his statement on it Friday, and that the Patriots, while in violation of league regulations, didn't gain an 'upper hand' as some here on the CCSLC seem to vociferously proclaim.

I'm personally expecting either a blowout in favor of the Patriots, or something we've never seen before: overtime. In a weird way I'm kind of hoping the game goes to OT, and that the team which wins the kickoff gets the ball, drives downfield, and ends it on the opening drive. No matter who wins in that situation, THEN you'll see controversy, folks.

nav-logo.png

Did you read what I wrote? I said they didn't have the opportunity. They didn't play any of those teams twice during that stretch. And I'm not a "taping" expert anyway, and neither is anyone here. I have no idea what they used the tapes for; I have just as much of an idea now as I did when this story first broke at the end of the year. Goodell said that this issue was over with, they were punished, and that's all the explanation I need. I'm sick of hearsay from all these "insiders" and "experts" who say they have all this incriminating evidence, and who "heard another team accused them in the past"...either present the proof, or move on with it. Hearsay is hearsay until we see evidence. As a Patriots fan...hell, as a football fan, I'm sick of this whole thing and just want to enjoy the game of football again.

You're going to hate this Unwind, but the Patriots cheater thing is about the only thing I've enjoyed in this entire football season. Throughout the playoffs, I've rooted for the Steelers, the Colts, the Jaguars, the Seahawks, and the Packers. During the regular season, I rooted for the Bills. As you can see, I haven't had too much to cheer for. Considering the GOAT Patriots decimated my Bills twice this season (and got their biggest win of the season AT the Ralph ON prime time), I think it's a little bit allowable that I can be so irrational about the Patriots, their cheating scandal, and Tom Brady's stupid bruised ankle. For me as a football fan, there really isn't much else going particularly well for me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Did you read what I wrote? I said they didn't have the opportunity. They didn't play any of those teams twice during that stretch. And I'm not a "taping" expert anyway, and neither is anyone here. I have no idea what they used the tapes for; I have just as much of an idea now as I did when this story first broke at the end of the year. Goodell said that this issue was over with, they were punished, and that's all the explanation I need. I'm sick of hearsay from all these "insiders" and "experts" who say they have all this incriminating evidence, and who "heard another team accused them in the past"...either present the proof, or move on with it. Hearsay is hearsay until we see evidence. As a Patriots fan...hell, as a football fan, I'm sick of this whole thing and just want to enjoy the game of football again.

I do to, but I would also like to know that the NFL from 2000-2006 had its games played on the up and up.

On topic......New England 31, New York 23.

Today, we are all otaku.

I do to, but I would also like to know that the NFL from 2000-2006 had its games played on the up and up.

Speaking of which Rams80 you are going to enjoy this. The Boston Herald is reporting that Patriots filmed the Rams walk through prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. If you recall that was the Super Bowl where the Patriots got out to a big lead and ended up hanging on at the very end with a GW field goal at the end.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...&position=0

I'm sure that or questions about things like that will come up in the hearings.

Oh well...if true, the fact the Rams didn't ask him for ID smacks of the arrogance that the Mike Martz regime typically had.

(What, you were expecting an epic, profanity-laden blowup? Sorry...can't deliver that right now.)

EDIT-I would say the comments section is very entertaining to read.

Today, we are all otaku.

. As a Patriots fan...hell, as a football fan, I'm sick of this whole thing and just want to enjoy the game of football again.

Yeah, and Mark McGwire is just so tired of the steroid scandal and doesn't want to dig up the past. If there is new information, it should be revisited. Cheating is cheating. Yeah, the Patriots are a GREAT team and probably did not need the edge that videotaping might provide, but Marion Jones is a great sprinter and probably could have won without steroids. But she broke the rules and gave up her golds. Hopefully for you Pats fans, the new developments will result to nothing, but you just can't put it behind you "and enjoy the game football again" if there was serious rule breaking.

All I have to say about the new taping allegations is, the fact that it's come up on the eve of the Super Bowl is a very bad omen for the Pats. There have been three times in recent Super Bowl history where one of the teams had to deal with some distracting situation in the days leading up to the game, and on all three occasions, that team not only lost the game, but their fortunes turned sour for years to come:

• Super Bowl XXIII: Bengals RB Stanley Wilson does a little blow the night before the game. Actually, make that a lot of blow. Long story short, he gets caught, misses the game and the Bengals lose. It was all downhill for the Bengals franchise for the next 10-15 years or so.
  • Super Bowl XXXIII: The night before the game, Falcons safety Eugene Robinson went out and tried to pick up a prostitute. One small problem: The woman he approached was actually an undercover cop. Uh-oh. The Broncos won the game handily, and by 2001 the Falcons were bottom-feeders.
  • Super Bowl XXXVII: Raiders center Barrett Robbins flipped out and went missing for the whole week before the game, then spent Super Sunday in a hospital. The Bucs blew Oakland out, and neither Robbins nor the Raiders have been the same since.

I wonder whether the Giants had a hand in the timing of this new allegation being made public...

CCSLC signature.png

Speaking of which Rams80 you are going to enjoy this. The Boston Herald is reporting that Patriots filmed the Rams walk through prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. If you recall that was the Super Bowl where the Patriots got out to a big lead and ended up hanging on at the very end with a GW field goal at the end.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...&position=0

That report is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post. As of now, though, it's hearsay. It's some disgruntled guy who used to work for the Pats who happened to pick the eve of the Super Bowl to make a claim like this. Show us the proof, or get out of the way.

All I have to say about the new taping allegations is, the fact that it's come up on the eve of the Super Bowl is a very bad omen for the Pats. There have been three times in recent Super Bowl history where one of the teams had to deal with some distracting situation in the days leading up to the game, and on all three occasions, that team not only lost the game, but their fortunes turned sour for years to come:
  • Super Bowl XXIII: Bengals RB Stanley Wilson does a little blow the night before the game. Actually, make that a lot of blow. Long story short, he gets caught, misses the game and the Bengals lose. It was all downhill for the Bengals franchise for the next 10-15 years or so.
  • Super Bowl XXXIII: The night before the game, Falcons safety Eugene Robinson went out and tried to pick up a prostitute. One small problem: The woman he approached was actually an undercover cop. Uh-oh. The Broncos won the game handily, and by 2001 the Falcons were bottom-feeders.
  • Super Bowl XXXVII: Raiders center Barrett Robbins flipped out and went missing for the whole week before the game, then spent Super Sunday in a hospital. The Bucs blew Oakland out, and neither Robbins nor the Raiders have been the same since.

I wonder whether the Giants had a hand in the timing of this new allegation being made public...

Thats an oranges to apples comparison, Tom Brady isn't doing blow (that we know of). Randy Moss isn't lookin for a whore in down town glandale (he has enough women problems). Brushci(sp) has yet to flip out and play a drug laced game of hide-and-go-seek. The Spygate issue is nothing but $hit hitting the fan at the wrong time.(Enter the sceen from airplane where the $hit hits the fan.)

I thought that tomorrow's game would be a close one...

Now, because I figure Belichek's probably gonna give the greatest pregame motivational of his life...the Pats are probably gonna dumptruck the Giants tomorrow. Big Blue better get the Motrin ready.

Archived