Washington Wizards

rtrich11

I don't know if the current Wizards logo has any fans out there. It's kind of uninspired to me. I wanted to do something different- and I don't mean the image of a Wizard looking into a crystal ball. It's been done a hundred times. I wanted to include that ball, but stray from the actual wizard and look for other mystic imagery.

The dragon! There are lots of really cool dragon images out there, but most of them seem to be Asian inspired and styled. I wanted it to be more European inspired to give it a tighter bond to what many of us consider a wizard. Something from stories, fairy tales, and movies that we've seen. Stray too far and you lose the connection.

Enjoy.

wizards_richards.jpg

Yeah, I know what you mean and I like the logo, but it just doesn't seem to fit "Wizards", especially since the main part of the logo is a dragon. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's sort of like calling a team "The Dogs" and have a cat as the logo.

Good work on the logo, it just seems odd for a team called the Wizards.

I like the tie in of the European dragons, but I see this as a secondary logo. With a name like wizards, its seems too specific to not use a wizard.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I'm a fan of what they have now, and I don't think It should go for a while at least. I like your logo a whole lot, It's just not something i'd associate with Washington.

Well that's not his fault... it's the idiots who run the team for choosing such a generic nickname...

Yeah, I know what you mean and I like the logo, but it just doesn't seem to fit "Wizards", especially since the main part of the logo is a dragon. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's sort of like calling a team "The Dogs" and have a cat as the logo.

Not really. Its a matter of opposites as opposed to association. I like it a lot. i think the dragon could be a bit more stylized, but not a lot. its a great concept. maybe add a spear-like barb on the tail? I'd also try to rework the colors. a blue outline around the ball might give the impression of glowing more than black. it looks more like a circle than a transluscent sphere. it'd be nice to have a proper wizard in the logo, but its a real tough figure to work with. i think its the length vs width with the hat and all. I say objects associated with a wizard work better. the chicago fire dont have a flame logo, no monk in the padres primary, nor pistons in detroits set. I think its fine to conjure up a feeling rather than illustrate the name. and its high time a team has a dragon in their logo. great work!

better. the chicago fire dont have a flame logo, no monk in the padres primary, nor pistons in detroits set. I think its fine to conjure up a feeling rather than illustrate the name. and its high time a team has a dragon in their logo. great work!

The Bills don't have Buffalo Bill, the Chargers don't have a horse, the Canucks have a whale. I really thought about the literal Wizards route and there wasn't a lot there. I haven't really seen a good logo with one. Waco Wizards? Nah. So going associative was a solution. I can understand the argument that this is more a secondary in feel, but like I said, I didn't find anything good with the man in the tall, goofy hat.

In a lot of fantasy circles(including EverQuest, Dungeons And Dragons, and the Final Fantasy games), dragons are considered the strongest magic users of all the sentient creatures. It makes perfect sense, in that regard.

Sharp-lookin' logos and wordmark, too.

Sigs are for sissies.

The wordmark is fantastic. The logo is well executed, but the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it was... Dragaon Ball Z. :blink:

But seriously, I'd easily take this over whatever the heck they have now.

:)

Wade-sig.png

Not really. Its a matter of opposites as opposed to association. I like it a lot. i think the dragon could be a bit more stylized, but not a lot. its a great concept. maybe add a spear-like barb on the tail? I'd also try to rework the colors. a blue outline around the ball might give the impression of glowing more than black. it looks more like a circle than a transluscent sphere. it'd be nice to have a proper wizard in the logo, but its a real tough figure to work with. i think its the length vs width with the hat and all. I say objects associated with a wizard work better. the chicago fire dont have a flame logo, no monk in the padres primary, nor pistons in detroits set. I think its fine to conjure up a feeling rather than illustrate the name. and its high time a team has a dragon in their logo. great work!

Yeah, that was a bad example I guess. I like the logo a lot, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it should be used as a primary. Secondary maybe.

Just my 2 cents.

I really love the logos, but as had been said before, it's a bit of a stretch as the primary for the Wizards. Actually, I've always liked the logos the Wizards have, although they should have never been created because they should still be the Bullets. I love how the wizard makes a 'W' and the crescent moon is a basketball. I think as far as clever wizard imagery goes, their current set is tough to top. I like what you've got, but it just doesn't fit the Wizards to me.

very nice rtrich11 - I like the overall concept. Not fond of the plain color text, but the rest of the logos/text are well done.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

i really love the whole package you put together, it looks great in every way, but it doesn't seem to fit the washington wizards to me. i'm not saying the A's can't use an elephant or the Jazz can't use a mountain or the Jets can't use an...oval...i'm just saying that this specific logo doesn't work for the Wizards. I could see it being used for the Washington Mystics, or even the Dakota Wizards or Drexel Dragons, but just not the NBA's Wizards. I guess it's just too different from their established identity. great work on the logos though, you should be very proud of them.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks, I've come back to tweak this logo.

Yes, I know some are having trouble with the idea of this concept when they'd rather see a wizard than something associated with wizards. That's ok.

Yes, I know this may not be an "NBA logo", meaning it doesn't have the NBA feel to it. I think it'd make a great minor league logo of some sort, but didn't know of a team it'd fit. I'm comfortable keeping it Wizards.

On the design end, I did take some tips from y'all and implemented them. One was a great tip on reworking the crystal ball. Did a few other things to make it bolder overall.

So love it, hate it, I wanted to finish what I'd started.

wizards_richards2.jpg

After a few weeks, I've come back to tweak this logo.

Yes, I know some are having trouble with the idea of this concept when they'd rather see a wizard than something associated with wizards. That's ok.

Yes, I know this may not be an "NBA logo", meaning it doesn't have the NBA feel to it. I think it'd make a great minor league logo of some sort, but didn't know of a team it'd fit. I'm comfortable keeping it Wizards.

On the design end, I did take some tips from y'all and implemented them. One was a great tip on reworking the crystal ball. Did a few other things to make it bolder overall.

So love it, hate it, I wanted to finish what I'd started.

wizards_richards2.jpg

That is impressive.

"Well since I'm here..."

MySpace

dallascopyie2.jpg

Damn, that looks really really nice!

I'm in the boat of not really liking the Wizard and Dragon association, but if they did adopt this I think it could definitely work, it would just take some time.

Really really nice work though.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived