Buffalo Bills Game in Toronto

thebigeh

I have been saying that the NFL should have atleast ONE if not TWO teams in Canada for years....but NOT at the expense of a CURRENT team.

It would be a huge shame if the Bills moved up North...uh....WEST? :wacko:

I know its a only a one time thing but it does open up Pandora's box here on whether or not the NFL should take its brand into Canada full-time. It would certainly pit the NFL against the CFL, and I don't think you'd get a similar result as when the AFL took on the NFL many moons ago. The CFL would crumble (not a good thing for football in that country) and the NFL would probably only take on ONE current team if any at all.

Hey, if the Packers can survive in a small market and field an almost Super Bowl caliber team, why can't the Bills? They've done it before, right?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, talk to Packers season ticket holders - they don't even get to attend every home game in their stadium - people who had season tickets to games in Milwaukee now get two home games in Lambeau.

Why would they do that when they haven't played there since '94. Are they letting the ticket plan continue on to the next generation, or are they just waiting for the Milwaukee ticket holders to drop the tickets?

Excuse me? Drop the tickets? Why on Earth would somebody drop the tickets? :P

Milwaukee tickets are like any other Packers season tickets - they can be passed on generation to generation.

IIRC, nowadays only just over half of the gold ticket package holders are from the Milwaukee area. Believe it or not, a good chunk of the people who had County Stadium tickets DID drop them (the hell were they thinking? :D) and they were picked up by those who were on the Green Bay (green) ticket list. Then they further dipped into the green list when the stadium was expanded.

Either way, to have a season ticket list thats 40,000 deep for fans who live 2 hours away has got to give the Packers the strongest secondary market in all of pro sports... but then, I am baised...

I have been saying that the NFL should have atleast ONE if not TWO teams in Canada for years....but NOT at the expense of a CURRENT team.

It would be a huge shame if the Bills moved up North...uh....WEST? :wacko:

I know its a only a one time thing but it does open up Pandora's box here on whether or not the NFL should take its brand into Canada full-time. It would certainly pit the NFL against the CFL, and I don't think you'd get a similar result as when the AFL took on the NFL many moons ago. The CFL would crumble (not a good thing for football in that country) and the NFL would probably only take on ONE current team if any at all.

Hey, if the Packers can survive in a small market and field an almost Super Bowl caliber team, why can't the Bills? They've done it before, right?

Well, I would imagine that there's more to do in Buffalo than watch football and kill animals...

Well, I would imagine that there's more to do in Buffalo than watch football and kill animals...

You've never been to Buffalo, have you?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

You have to admit that there was atleast a little bit of humor in that statement....well, atleast I thought so.

You have to admit that there was atleast a little bit of humor in that statement....well, atleast I thought so.

I thought we were all joking along? Buffalo's a sad, desolate place. I don't know that you have the quality of deer hunting that there is in Green Bay, but there are certainly all sorts of city rodents the Buffaloan can take a rifle too. It's not like there's a strong economy, fun nightlife, or temperate climate to take in.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

How did I know someone was gonna say this

And there IS more to do in Buffalo... they have the Sabres :D

Might be slightly off-topic but anyways, if the Bills were to actually move to Toronto sometime in the future, a stadium would have to be built somewhere within and around the city (probably Etobicoke or Scarborough; however, I probably don't see a possible move actually happening anytime soon.

Then again, the fact that the Bills would be playing a regular season game in Toronto may signal a bad omen for the CFL.

YOZXkBG.png?1

A red version of the throwbacks would be nice.

What would be nice is if I still had 8 games to attend, not 7.

Enjoy it while you can :flagcanada:

I was just gonna say that.

Within 10 years the Jets will have to go up and play a divisional game against the Toronto _ _ _ _ _.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Within 10 years the Jets will have to go up and play a divisional game against the Toronto _ _ _ _ _.

Huskies.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Huskies.

....or the "Toronto NFL Argonauts"...taking a page from Baltimore's CFL Colts

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

If Toronto wants a NFL team, at this point they might as well have the Bills. After Ralph Wilson finally kicks it, it'll be open season on the team due to inheritance taxes making it well nigh impossible for his daughters to hold onto. When you combine that with the fact that they've shown no real desire to be involved with the team in any meaningful capacity to this point, you have a recipe for relocation. The only chance I see Buffalo having of holding on to the Bills is some local white knight swooping in to take the team. And who would that white knight be? Tom Golisano? He already pulled that one, and the bloom is disappearing more and more from the Sabres every day. Jeremy Jacobs? Maybe he can run the Bills into the ground just like he did the Bruins. In this case, I think Bills fans are well within their rights to fear their team someday becoming the Toronto Bills, or Huskies, or Insert-Name-Heres.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Might be slightly off-topic but anyways, if the Bills were to actually move to Toronto sometime in the future, a stadium would have to be built somewhere within and around the city (probably Etobicoke or Scarborough; however, I probably don't see a possible move actually happening anytime soon.

Then again, the fact that the Bills would be playing a regular season game in Toronto may signal a bad omen for the CFL.

I would imagine that the Skydome (yes, I said SKYdome...I still don't recognize it by any other name) would have to suffice for a few years before they would build another stadium. I would also imagine that the Blue Jays might be involved in a new stadium to cut costs....well, atleast they should be involved.

This topic makes me sad. Even though I'm a Bills fan who is going to be living two hours closer to Toronto than to Orchard Park, I'd be awfully upset if they moved to Toronto.

But if they DID move to Toronto, someone OUTSIDE of Toronto needs to give the owner a lesson on how to properly name a sports franchise. When "Blue Jays" is the best name your city has ever had, you need some help. Not that "Bills" is good, but I'm just saying... Raptors, Rock, Toros, Argonauts and Maple Leafs (Leafs? Really? That's how you're going to spell it?), I'm looking in your direction.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

"Leafs" is a perfectly acceptible spelling, thank you. And I've long thought "Argonauts" to be an outstanding sports name. Classical allusion, adventure on the seas, all of that.

The Packers nearly didn't. Only their unique financial structure kept them from moving on at least two specific occassions. Not the best example, I'm afraid.

I think the Bills are the NFL's version of the Pittsburgh Penguins - a team that they'd really like to keep in place if at all possible, financial pressures be damned.

"Leafs" is a perfectly acceptible spelling, thank you. And I've long thought "Argonauts" to be an outstanding sports name. Classical allusion, adventure on the seas, all of that.

Oh, I do enjoy the classical "Jason and the Argonauts" reference... I just fail to see what adventure on the seas has to do with a lakeside city like Toronto.

And "Leafs" is a verb. So the maple is leafing through something?

EDIT: A little research reveals that the Argos were named after the rowing club that the football team sprung from. It makes more sense as the name of a rowing club, but it's not that bad. I don't like it for Toronto, but it's not that bad.

I'm sticking with my assertion on "leafs," though. "Leaves" is the plural version of the noun "leaf." "Leafs" is the present tense of the verb "to leaf."

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I'm sticking with my assertion on "leafs," though. "Leaves" is the plural version of the noun "leaf." "Leafs" is the present tense of the verb "to leaf."

Leafs is an acceptible alternate plural of "leaf." Not the primary, but legimitate nonetheless.

http://m-w.com/dictionary/leaf

As for "Argonauts," what specific relevance to Troy has Southern California?

I always carried my birth certificate when i crossed the border my question is this...

If I travel across the border enough and travel overseas often can I apply for a passport card and a Passport?

That's my understanding.

The Passport Card is not for air travel, so you'll still need a passport.

Oh, I do enjoy the classical "Jason and the Argonauts" reference... I just fail to see what adventure on the seas has to do with a lakeside city like Toronto.

And "Leafs" is a verb. So the maple is leafing through something?

EDIT: A little research reveals that the Argos were named after the rowing club that the football team sprung from. It makes more sense as the name of a rowing club, but it's not that bad. I don't like it for Toronto, but it's not that bad.

Actually, calling them the 'Maple Leaves' would be incorrect. They are named after a 'Maple LEAF'. Singular NOT plural. The players are 'Maple LEAFS' not 'LEAVES' because again, the team is named after ONE particular leaf NOT all of them. Sounds weird I know, but it is indeed correct the way it is. Its like the word 'copyright'. Its 'copyrighted' not 'copywritten' as some people say...or another common mistake is when people say that someone was 'hung' when indeed they were 'hanged'. Example: Saddam Hussein was 'hanged' for crimes against humanity.

Not exactly the same as what we are discussing, but similar. I'm not trying to preach, just trying to educate, because these types of things bug me.

Another thing I wanted to address was your comment questioning the use of the name 'Argonauts' because of the lack of association between the old legend and the city. My comment is this: Why does a nickname have to do anything with a city? Why can't it be emblematic of the team and the personality of the team? I think 'Argonauts' or 'Argos' works just fine. Little tid bit....The Toronto Argonauts are the oldest professional franchise in North America. I found that out yesterday...pretty cool if you ask me.

Archived