Buffalo Bills Game in Toronto

thebigeh

Leafs is an acceptible alternate plural of "leaf." Not the primary, but legimitate nonetheless.

http://m-w.com/dictionary/leaf

As for "Argonauts," what specific relevance to Troy has Southern California?

Dictionary.com doesn't even list "leafs" as an alternate plural. I suppose the "American Heritage Dictionary" isn't as credible a source as MW, however.

Troy has no relevance to Southern California. Toronto certainly does not corner the market on bad nicknames. Trojans for USC and Spartans for MSU are pretty high up on my list of "why did they pick THAT name?"

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing I wanted to address was your comment questioning the use of the name 'Argonauts' because of the lack of association between the old legend and the city. My comment is this: Why does a nickname have to do anything with a city? Why can't it be emblematic of the team and the personality of the team? I think 'Argonauts' or 'Argos' works just fine. Little tid bit....The Toronto Argonauts are the oldest professional franchise in North America. I found that out yesterday...pretty cool if you ask me.

Actually, I believe it's that they are the oldest professional franchise in North America to be operating under its original name, but that's just nit picky. I did know that, actually.

Why do I want teams to have nicknames with local relevance? I'm not sure. I just know that those names feel "right" to me. Picking a "cool" name just seems like a cop out to me. I don't expect anyone else to agree, I'm just saying that's something I feel strongly about. When you think too far outside the box, you get the "Toronto Raptors," which I hope we can at least agree was a bad idea.

EDIT: Please excuse my grumpiness today, as well. My 3 week old daughter had casts put on both her legs yesterday, and so we're running on about 45 minutes sleep right now. I'll probably be a lot more reasonable after some sleep.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

"Leafs" is a perfectly acceptible spelling, thank you. And I've long thought "Argonauts" to be an outstanding sports name. Classical allusion, adventure on the seas, all of that.

Oh, I do enjoy the classical "Jason and the Argonauts" reference... I just fail to see what adventure on the seas has to do with a lakeside city like Toronto.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Great Lakes aren't exactly the most placid of waters, nor are they terribly small...

Speaking as someone who has lived along two of them for his entire life, in two states and one province, and who has family in the Great Lakes shipping industry, I can unequivocally say that I did already know that know that.

I always carried my birth certificate when i crossed the border my question is this...

If I travel across the border enough and travel overseas often can I apply for a passport card and a Passport?

I suppose you can, but if you get the passport, you won't need the card. The card is like a "passport lite."

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

The Great Lakes aren't exactly the most placid of waters, nor are they terribly small...

Speaking as someone who has lived along two of them for his entire life, in two states and one province, and who has family in the Great Lakes shipping industry, I can unequivocally say that I did already know that know that.

Your initial lakeside city post made it sound like Toronto's on some small body of water, which it isn't, really.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Your initial lakeside city post made it sound like Toronto's on some small body of water, which it isn't, really.

I didn't mean to make it sound like that. While Lake Ontario is the smallest of the Great Lakes, it is hardly small.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

Another thing I wanted to address was your comment questioning the use of the name 'Argonauts' because of the lack of association between the old legend and the city. My comment is this: Why does a nickname have to do anything with a city? Why can't it be emblematic of the team and the personality of the team? I think 'Argonauts' or 'Argos' works just fine. Little tid bit....The Toronto Argonauts are the oldest professional franchise in North America. I found that out yesterday...pretty cool if you ask me.

Actually, I believe it's that they are the oldest professional franchise in North America to be operating under its original name, but that's just nit picky. I did know that, actually.

Why do I want teams to have nicknames with local relevance? I'm not sure. I just know that those names feel "right" to me. Picking a "cool" name just seems like a cop out to me. I don't expect anyone else to agree, I'm just saying that's something I feel strongly about. When you think too far outside the box, you get the "Toronto Raptors," which I hope we can at least agree was a bad idea.

EDIT: Please excuse my grumpiness today, as well. My 3 week old daughter had casts put on both her legs yesterday, and so we're running on about 45 minutes sleep right now. I'll probably be a lot more reasonable after some sleep.

Actually, you are indeed correct. I guess I misread the passage on their website. They are the oldest professional FOOTBALL franchise around, and ONE of the oldest franchises under the same name. So I have been corrected. Thank You, I would hate to be running around spewing such falseness. :P

I'm one of the few people who actually like the name 'Toronto Raptors'. I think it flows, is unique and works. I totally hate the corny cartooney logo, but the name is fanstastic. I agree, trying to name a team some cool ultra relevant name or something way over the top and different isn't a great idea. Refer to: Anaheim Mighty Ducks and/or Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Thankfully, both teams have learned the error of their ways and since changed their names.

trying to name a team some cool ultra relevant name or something way over the top and different isn't a great idea. Refer to: Anaheim Mighty Ducks and/or Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Thankfully, both teams have learned the error of their ways and since changed their names.

No disagreement there. I just don't see a classical allusion as being in the same category.

trying to name a team some cool ultra relevant name or something way over the top and different isn't a great idea. Refer to: Anaheim Mighty Ducks and/or Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Thankfully, both teams have learned the error of their ways and since changed their names.

No disagreement there. I just don't see a classical allusion as being in the same category.

I might be missing your point here. Care to elaborate?

I think he's agreeing with you, and pointing out that the Argonauts don't fit in that category.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

I think he's agreeing with you, and pointing out that the Argonauts don't fit in that category.

Okay, got it...thanks. :D

I will agree , Bills are doing what the can to keep and strong fan base and add to it . Just hope they don't start thinking toronto could be greener . Then again you never know .

Isn't there some kind of law in place that prevents Canadian cities from having NFL teams?

I think I know where this comes from. Toronto was going to have a WFL team and I think it was just a threat to make American football illegal that made the team move to Memphis.

Then again, I could be wrong. But I don't think there is an actual law. There might be a requirement that it be majority-owned by a Canadian? Would that be a logical assumpion?

That would be ironic considering the American teams in the CFL for those 2-3 years in the mid-90s.

If Toronto wants a NFL team, at this point they might as well have the Bills. After Ralph Wilson finally kicks it, it'll be open season on the team due to inheritance taxes making it well nigh impossible for his daughters to hold onto. When you combine that with the fact that they've shown no real desire to be involved with the team in any meaningful capacity to this point, you have a recipe for relocation. The only chance I see Buffalo having of holding on to the Bills is some local white knight swooping in to take the team. And who would that white knight be? Tom Golisano? He already pulled that one, and the bloom is disappearing more and more from the Sabres every day. Jeremy Jacobs? Maybe he can run the Bills into the ground just like he did the Bruins. In this case, I think Bills fans are well within their rights to fear their team someday becoming the Toronto Bills, or Huskies, or Insert-Name-Heres.

I think Tom Golisano is deceased. Well, at least I haven't seen him in about a year or so...

I say If something ever was to happen to the CFL the NFL needs to add Toronto . A club with that much history should never just disappear like that it would be a shame to set it ever fold .

Can you say Buffalo Vs Toronto Rivaliry .

It'll be hard to top the Sabres/Maple Leafs rivalry which really isn't even much of one from Toronto's stand point.

If Toronto wants a NFL team, at this point they might as well have the Bills. After Ralph Wilson finally kicks it, it'll be open season on the team due to inheritance taxes making it well nigh impossible for his daughters to hold onto. When you combine that with the fact that they've shown no real desire to be involved with the team in any meaningful capacity to this point, you have a recipe for relocation. The only chance I see Buffalo having of holding on to the Bills is some local white knight swooping in to take the team. And who would that white knight be? Tom Golisano? He already pulled that one, and the bloom is disappearing more and more from the Sabres every day. Jeremy Jacobs? Maybe he can run the Bills into the ground just like he did the Bruins. In this case, I think Bills fans are well within their rights to fear their team someday becoming the Toronto Bills, or Huskies, or Insert-Name-Heres.

Not So Fast Everyone,dont forget this quote:

Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly has heard enough about the Buffalo Bills possibly moving to Toronto. It's been the million billion dollar discussion all year, and now he's decided to what he can to put an end to it.

"As long as I'm involved, I can't see them going anywhere else," he said with the same cockiness that made him a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

"One way or another, I will make sure this team stays here. I know people that are ready to step up. I think Mr. Wilson has the same vision I have, and that's to keep the team in western New York."

Will the decision ultimately be up to Kelly? Absolutely not, but he sure as hell has a powerful voice in Western New York. And if he's saying he wants the team to stay in Buffalo, you can bet that someone out there is listening.

However, there are a lot of people that suddenly want the Bills in Canada, and it will be a long winded battle should they hit the open market. Hopefully, for the fans sake, Kelly and company come prepared when everything hits the fan.

And This:

"As fans of the Buffalo Bills, we talk about community. That's one of the reasons I stayed in Buffalo NY is because of the people. That's why Thurman moved back to the area My wife is from here, Thurman's wife is from here, Patti. We guarantee you, and I not only mean me, but Steve Tasker who lives here also but Thurman Thomas - he moved back here. We will make sure, we can almost guarantee that the Buffalo Bills will never leave Western New York."

buffalobillsys1.pngbills55ld3.pnglouisvillecardinalsdh5.png

fitchsigll6.png

But if they DID move to Toronto, someone OUTSIDE of Toronto needs to give the owner a lesson on how to properly name a sports franchise. I'm just saying... Argonauts... I'm looking in your direction.

The Toronto Argonauts CFL franchise owes its name to Toronto's Argonaut Rowing Club. In turn, the Argonaut Rowing Club was named in honor of the oarsmen who made up the crew of the ship Argo in the Greek legend of "Jason and the Golden Fleece". Additionally, the CFL Argonauts' "double blue" colors are also borrowed from the Argonaut Rowing Club, which were, in turn, inspired by the colors of the Cambridge University Boat Club (light blue) and Oxford University Boat Club (dark blue).

Founded in 1872, the Argonaut Rowing Club saw its members organize the Argonaut Rugby Football Club in 1873. The goal in launching the rugby side was to provide ARC members with an additional way in which to maintain and increase fitness levels, particularly on those days when weather conditions on Lake Ontario made it too difficult to row. Over time, the Argonaut Rugby Football Club began to play the code of football now recognized as Canadian football.

So, in point of fact, the Toronto Argonauts' name makes perfect sense. In my honest opinion, it is one of the finest identities in all of professional sports (though a return to the "Argonaut" logo would be most welcome).

So, in point of fact, the Toronto Argonauts' name makes perfect sense. In my honest opinion, it is one of the finest identities in all of professional sports (though a return to the "Argonaut" logo would be most welcome).

I have always loved the 'Argonaut' name. I didn't know much about the origins growing up, but it has always rolled my tongue much easier than the Blue Jays or Maple Lafs... sorry... Maple Leafs.... Frankly... a Buffalo guy telling Torontonians how to name a team.... that makes me laugh... what the :censored: is a Bill anyways <_<

... and yes, I still would like the "Jason the Argonaut" logo... but I do proudly wear a hat with the current logo.

I saw, I came, I left.

If Toronto builds a new stadium to lure the Bills they also could try to bid again for the Summer Olympics

But with Vancouver getting the Olympics in 2010 another one in Canada would be a few decades off... hosting the games 3 times in 4 decades is very high for a nation of this size.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

"We will make sure, we can almost guarantee that the Buffalo Bills will never leave Western New York."

I've highlighted the operative word in the sentence. "Almost" guarantee. In other words, we *think* we have our **** together, but it's entirely possible that someone else comes along and bids an insane amount of money for the team once Ralph Wilson dies, wins open-ended bidding, and packs the team up to ship 'em to Toronto or L.A.

Kelly's well-intentioned, but unless he's got a written commitment from a Bill Gates or Warren Buffett-like financial mogul, he's talking out his ass.

nav-logo.png

Archived