Detroit Lions

chestnutz

Well today, I was bored as ever. I searched around the NFL looking for a team to redesign, especially because I've never done an NFL concept. I noticed most people either hate or strongly dislike the logo and use of black in the Lions brand today. So, redesign, yaaay!

Now, for this I wanted to use one of my favorite football logos of all time, the one the Lions used in the 60's. It's so great, and I wanted to modernize it a bit, but not too much. I want the Lions to have a very simple, classy design, as they're one of the oldest teams in the NFL and could use some simplifying. I'm not sure if I accomplished that, and could use some advice on how to modernize it further if people feel the need to.

The resoning behind the Lions blue is because the owner liked the color of the waves in Hawaii (or something like that). What in God's name does that have to do with Detroit? No se.

So I wanted to go with a very unique color combo, one not many pro sports teams use. Maroon and light, light blue!

Next, I went about a secondary. This one was tough, and I tried to go for an old Broncos "D" type logo, but the mane was hard to do and advice is appreciated.

Wordmark kept nice and simple.

Uniforms will come once I'm happy with the logos.

Well, have at it CCSLCers!

DetroitLionslogo.png

Well, as a Lions fan, it's tough for me to like this. I like the current logo, as its simplicity makes it one of the most iconic in the NFL. I don't mind the use of the 60s logo, nor do I dislike your "D" logo. In fact, I really like your "D" logo. However, as you said you don't get the honolulu blue, I don't get what maroon and light blue have to do with Detroit. Blue and silver at least go with the Ford logo, which clearly associates with the Lions, as much as I'd love it not to be. However, if you're going to go with maroon and blue, I'd make the blue a bit darker, as it's tough to pick up on the white background, or simply use maroon outlines on the mane of the lion. The wordmark's fine, although I'd get rid of the light blue lines behind it, and try to work the blue into the letters.

The lion's head looks like it's caught in the 'D'. Move the head forward and perhaps angle it down, so the top of the mane cuts into the top of the D. Just a thought.

I would make the D that head is in the same style as the D in "Detroit Lions".

i like that you stopped using honolulu blue, because it has nothing to do with detroit, but then used the random combination of maroon and baby blue, with no reason to justify it's ties to the city.

I'd be willing to bet today if Detroit fans had their choice between the Detroit Lions and the Michigan Panthers, 90% would have rather kept the Panthers. The Plumb and Champagne was a great color scheme, throw in that classy helmet, and they had a legendary look. But most importantly, they weren't run by a bunch of clowns.

Now I was a big fan of the Lions uniforms Pryor ( :P ) to the Millen-era EMO look. The honolulu blue was much brighter and the uniform was a classic.

Archived