England Hat

mightynine

yes, as i said im aware of this. but in the uk the dragon is very much a symbol of wales.

for some reason the poms use lions and roses for most stuff.

True enough, with the exception that the dragon is symbolic of the City of London.

lived in london for best part of twenty years. never seen a dragon emblem on anything? lion and the unicorn on everythinng, lions on everything british (british lions rugby undion and league, three lions england football, rose for england rugby) first dragon ive seenon anything.

But do you spend much time in the City itself? The crest is all over the place:

100_0423.JPG

Temple%20Bar%2001.jpg

masthead.jpg

That's why I think this logo is so odd - the dragon is a very limited symbol in England, certainly doesn't represent the entire country.

yes, i live and work in london.

there cant be that many when compared to the ranks of other national symbols like lions and various pom heros.

i suppose you could argue that it could be representative of england in the same way new yorks statue of liberty may be

in a way representative of the usa as a whole. but in this case, given the more prevalent association with the welsh it

seems a very strange choice of symbol for a national team.

Sorry, guess I haven't been making myself clear. I'm agreeing with you on that point.

The Dragon isn't a symbol of England. It is a symbol of the City of London (not necessarily Greater London, but the City). The little dragons are all over - they're on the City crest, which is liberally sprinkled about, and statues of dragons guard the entrances to the City.

Strange that they would choose the symbol of the City of London as a stand-in for all of England. Except perhaps that lions and roses are already used by national teams (football and rugby, respectively) and therefore come close to infringement on this carefully-constructed cap.

Wasn't aware anyone still said "pom." You aren't my Aussie mother-out-law, are you?

The hat is apart of Adidas' new merch for the upcoming Euro Cup 2008 in football (soccer) to be played in Austria/Switzerland.

Here is the link to EuroSport (the american soccer merch company who carries alot of...well...euro soccer merch)

http://www.soccer.com/IWProductSearch.proc...2C+Product_name

There is the Germany hat that Adidas makes that reminds me of the old Trans Am firebird logo.

Check out the back of that "England" hat. . .

I think the choice of the dragon is just as poor as the choice to put the Union Jack on the back of a hat meant for the England national squad.

Use the Union Jack for the Olympics when it represents Great Britain, but not in this situation when that flag represents countries that have their own football associations.

fade.gif

Sorry, guess I haven't been making myself clear. I'm agreeing with you on that point.

The Dragon isn't a symbol of England. It is a symbol of the City of London (not necessarily Greater London, but the City). The little dragons are all over - they're on the City crest, which is liberally sprinkled about, and statues of dragons guard the entrances to the City.

Strange that they would choose the symbol of the City of London as a stand-in for all of England. Except perhaps that lions and roses are already used by national teams (football and rugby, respectively) and therefore come close to infringement on this carefully-constructed cap.

Wasn't aware anyone still said "pom." You aren't my Aussie mother-out-law, are you?

Everyone I know calls them Poms.

But then, everyone I know is either an Aussie or a Kiwi.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Possibly it's for the England Aussie Rules team.

They've been using this as their logo:

dragonslayers.gif

(Perhaps Rutgers and/or UAB have contacted them and they felt the need to change)

WOW. :blink: I don't think I've ever seen a logo copy TWO different logos.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Everyone I know calls them Poms.

But then, everyone I know is either an Aussie or a Kiwi.

well i guess its usually 'pommy bastards'. i guess the antipodean version of limey.

contrary to the mith, this is neither an abrieviation of pompous or a crass adaptation of the acronym

for 'prisoners of her majesty'. it most likely derives from the second influx of british people to cell

block a (australia). they turned up and went bright red as they werent used to the sun.

apparently they looked like pomegranates, which became used as a kind of rhyming slang for

immigrants. and the shackle-draggers (australians bless em) kept it.

Archived