Interesting Berlin Thunder Logo

mantleisthebest7

Hey y'all!

I came across an interesting Berlin Thunder logo just now on sportslogos.net. I've never seen it in my life, and it's weird to me because most football teams don't use alternate logos. Sportslogos lists it as an alt, but it makes me wonder if this was a turned down primary made into an alt. Anybody know the story behind it or seen it used anywhere?

Here it is:

5577.gif

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

it was supposed to be their primary, but some political party uses Thor as its symbol, so as not to appear partisan, the Thunder ditched him and went with just a hammer.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

it was supposed to be their primary, but some political party uses Thor as its symbol, so as not to appear partisan, the Thunder ditched him and went with just a hammer.

To add to this...I thought it was some anti-semitic group that used Thor as a symbol...and it was the Jewish community that expressed concern over the use of the logo.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

The story of this logo is as follows.

As with most things, the NFL is totally misguided and didn't understand a thing about Europe. For example Ram Jam's Black Betty was played at every stadium. The firm that created it was a Hawai'ian-based firm, and most in the NFL were happy with it - after all, its Thor, the Norse god of Thunder. When one of the GMs of the German teams saw it, he almost had a heart attack. He went right to the NFL and ripped the logo as being too Arian and made the league scrap the logo. The guy was right. He was a Rhodes Scholar in history I think who graduated with honors from Iowa State and was responsible for naming three teams in the league, going back to the WLAF.

By the way, the Thunder wore green because of an agreement with a beer company.

IDK, I think the idea of the Thor logo is great, not too sure if the execution was the best it could have been. I liked the idea of the hammer logo that they ended up with. It looked great on their helmet. I have to admit that I never knew why it was a hammer, and now I do...Thanks!.

BTW, I also wondered why the hell the incorporated the green into their uniforms. It looked so awkward and out of place. Now it all makes sense.

The story of this logo is as follows.

As with most things, the NFL is totally misguided and didn't understand a thing about Europe. For example Ram Jam's Black Betty was played at every stadium. The firm that created it was a Hawai'ian-based firm, and most in the NFL were happy with it - after all, its Thor, the Norse god of Thunder. When one of the GMs of the German teams saw it, he almost had a heart attack. He went right to the NFL and ripped the logo as being too Arian and made the league scrap the logo. The guy was right. He was a Rhodes Scholar in history I think who graduated with honors from Iowa State and was responsible for naming three teams in the league, going back to the WLAF.

By the way, the Thunder wore green because of an agreement with a beer company.

Interesting, because even if I am a very open minded not overly sensitive to non-political-correctness, in the context of Germany, I also thought it was pretty "Arian" looking...

From a mythology stand point, does anyone have any background on the helmet with wings?

I used to think it was solely Mercury who had them...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

So, wait, let me get this straight. Because :censored:ler was a :censored:tard of epic proportions and had the nerve to attempt a hijack of Norse mythology for his own causes, it's suddenly a bad thing to use a representation of Thor, the god of thunder, as a football logo for a team called the Thunder? So, what, every time I run across a German citizen, I'm supposed to apologize to them because my second middle name is Thor and I'm ethnically half-Danish/half-Swedish because it's "too Arian"? Give me a freaking break.

cttdolphins2.png

Yeah, and they ended up with a thinly-veiled hammer and sickle logo.... In Berlin! :blink:

The real story is that Lang was pulled aside by a veteran GM in the league and was told no way the Thunder will use that logo - too Arian looking.

The Germans are uber-sensitive to anything dealing with their past. Lang was always rather clueless to begin with. The real movement to rid Berlin of that logo was done within NFL Europe.

Anyway, would that logo look good on a helmet? No way. If it were to be used at all it would have to be on the jersey. I don't recall where they came up with the black and gold, but the green and orange were definitely for the local beer company they signed a sponsorship agreement with.

When it came to Europe, the NFL never understood the history and dynamics of the various cultures. Their loss.

Archived