XLII MORE Things You Didn't Know About the Super Bowl

Mac the Knife

This edition culled from NFL.com, who had a writer come up with the same idea I did apparently:

I.

NFC teams leads the series 21-20, including a string of 13 straight.

II.

This is the 2nd Super Bowl held in Arizona. The first was Super Bowl XXX.

III. (Added by me)

Arizona was supposed to host Super Bowl XXVII, but the NFL succumbed to pressure over the state not recognizing the Martin Luther King Day holiday and relocated the game.

IV.

The AFC representative is the home team for Super Bowl XLII.

V.

No Super Bowl has ever gone into overtime.

VI. (Added by me)

Four Super Bowl outcomes have been decided in the final minute of play.

VII.

The team that wins the coin toss is 19-22, including losses in the last 4 games and 9 of the last 11.

VIII.

12 Super Bowls (including XLII) have featured teams that had met during the regular season. The Patriots were in the last one, XXXVI against the Rams.

IX.

Only one other time in SB history have the competing teams met in the final week of the regular season. Dallas and Denver squared off in the 1977 regular season finale, then again in Super Bowl XII.

X.

Number of Patriot players with Super Bowl experience: 20.

Number of Giant players with Super Bowl experience: 3.

XI.

On Sunday Tedy Bruschi will play in his 5th Super Bowl, becoming the 15th player to do so. Of those 15, only 7 played all five for one club.

XII.

Four players hold multiple Super Bowl MVP awards. All four are quarterbacks.

XIII.

Four quarterbacks have led three or more teams to Super Bowl victories: Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, and Tom Brady.

XIV.

Tom Brady is the 23rd NFL MVP to play in the Super Bowl in the same season.

XV.

Only 10 NFL MVP's teams have won the Super Bowl in the season they won the award.

XVI.

Bill Belichick is the 8th head coach to pilot a team to four Super Bowls. Don Shula, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Joe Gibbs, Bud Grant, Marv Levy and Dan Reeves are the others.

XVII.

With a win Sunday, Bill Belichick will join Chuck Noll (4-0) as the only head coaches to win four Super Bowls.

XVIII.

The Patriots are 24-7-0 since 2001 when meeting teams a second (or third) time in the same season.

XIX.

Junior Seau's 13-year gap between Super Bowl appearances is the longest in the history of the game. He was a memebr of the losing San Diego Chargers in XXIX.

XX.

The Patriots are the third team to win 18 games in a single season, including postseason games.

XXI.

No team has won 19.

XXII.

The Patriots are the 11th team to go 10-0-0 at home, including postseason games. 8 of the previous 10 went on to win the Super Bowl.

XXIII.

The Patriots average of 36.8 points per game is the highest in the Super Bowl era.

XXIV.

The Patriots are the 17th team to lead the NFL in scoring and reach the Super Bowl.

XXV.

Of the 16 previous teams that led the league in scoring and reached the Super Bowl, only 9 won the Lombardi Trophy.

XXVI.

The Giants have won 5 NFL championships in their history.

XXVII.

This is the Giants 18th NFL championship game appearance, a record.

XXVIII.

Peyton and Eli Manning are the first set of brothers to play QB in a Super Bowl.

XXIX.

Eli Manning is the 7th top overall draft pick to start in a Super Bowl.

XXX.

Eli Manning is the only QB in the 2007 playoffs yet to throw an interception.

XXXI.

Eli Manning is the 7th QB in the Super Bowl era to throw 20 or more interceptions in regular season play and still reach the Super Bowl.

XXXII.

Giant head coach Tom Coughlin is in his first Super Bowl in that capacity. Head coaches making their Super Bowl debut are 20-22.

XXXIII.

Tom Coughlin has coached the most career games (205) of anyone making their first Super Bowl appearance.

XXXIV.

Home Sweet Home?

The Giants are 10-1-0 on the road this season. They were 3-5-0 at home.

XXXV.

The Giants are only the third team to reach the Super Bowl by winning three straight postseason games.

The 1985 Patriots and 2005 Steelers are the others.

XXXVI.

The Giants are the 9th wild card playoff qualifier to advance to the Super Bowl. The others have gone 4-4.

XXXVII.

Four teams, including the Giants, have gone on to the Super Bowl following an 0-2 start.

None had done it prior to 1993.

XXXVIII.

The Giants are the only team in NFL history to win 10 straight road games in a single season.

XXXIX.

Giants long snapper Zak DeOssie's father Steve played in Super Bowl XXV, for the Giants.

XL.

The DeOssie's are the 9th different father-son combo to appear in a Super Bowl.

XLI.

When Jeff Feagles makes his first punt of the game, he will become the oldest player ever to participate in a Super Bowl at 41 years, 335 days.

XLII.

The Patriots were known as the Boston Patriots prior to 1971, becoming "New England" when the team moved to nearby Foxborough, Mass.

The Giants are still known as the "New York" Giants, despite moving in 1976 to a stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

nav-logo.png

Point of clarification on XXXV-I believe they mean 3 straight postseason games on the road.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Regarding: I. ??? So, the Pariots have not won 3 Super Bowls recently. The Colts did not win last year...... I'm confused!

Are these mixed with Pro Bowl trivia? Is this a True / False?

It meant that in that record the NFC won 13 straight at one point. Super Bowls XIX-XXXI

Regarding: I. ??? So, the Pariots have not won 3 Super Bowls recently. The Colts did not win last year...... I'm confused!

He meant the NFC streak that went from 1984 through 97. As in the NFC leads the series 21-20 including a run of 13 straight Super Bowl wins from 1984 through 1997.

BB52Big.jpg

"13 straight" refers to a string which existed during the 1980s and 90s. (from San Francisco 49ers in 1985 to Green Bay Packers in 1997) It is not a current, ongoing string. Note he does not say "the LAST 13 straight"

(edit: well, everyone else also caught that one quick in the time it took to type it out.... btw, Infrared, the 1984 Super Bowl was won by the AFC's Los Angeles Raiders... '85 through and including '97 is 13 Super Bowls)

It is what it is.

"The Giants are only the third team to reach the Super Bowl by winning three straight postseason road games.

The 1985 Patriots and 2005 Steelers are the others."

We have one team that won three road games to get to the Super Bowl, one team that steamrolled its competition all year, and a controversial video. Man, this year has a lot of parallels with '85. Here's hoping the outcome is at least a little more exciting.

Giants have 6 NFL Championships. Their first one (1927) was before a Championship Game was established. They won the NFL Championship by having the best record in the league.

The NFL did not institute a post-season championship game until 1931 (The Bears defeated the Giants)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Giants have 6 NFL Championships. Their first one (1927) was before a Championship Game was established. They won the NFL Championship by having the best record in the league.

The NFL did not institute a post-season championship game until 1931 (The Bears defeated the Giants)

Indeed! Guess whoever wrote the NFL.com article had forgotten that. Good catch, JQK!

nav-logo.png

Archived