Do you find this offensive?

footballfiji

Is there a stink being raised about this, or what's the deal?

Yeah, the article is here: http://www.on205th.com/2008/01/chicago-cub...-offending.html

I realized that I already posted here, but I thought what I was supposed to be offended by the translator bit, not the flag bit. I didn't realize the player was Japanese. In that case, it's in pretty poor taste.

Why?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not at all. I think people can be overly sensitive about this kind of thing(please, no bad jokes/insults). I mean, it's not an insult in any way to anyone, so anyone who finds THAT offensive probably says, whenever you even mention the word "gay" in any sense, immediately responds, "What's wrong with being gay? Huh?"

Anyway, my point is that not EVERYTHING signifying race these days has to be offensive, because that what it seems like.

You offend me.

Wow, what a surprise, Gitlin. Real necessary, too. <_<

About as necessary as your idiotic gay analogy. If someone ever decides to do a top 50 list of the most :censored:-ed up comments ever posted on this board you're going to take up at least 20 spots. Not that that there's anything wrong with that...

On topic, I don't see a thing wrong with the ad.

Hold up. Why? Why was it so idiotic? Are you offended by it or something? It's a valid point.

I realized that I already posted here, but I thought what I was supposed to be offended by the translator bit, not the flag bit. I didn't realize the player was Japanese. In that case, it's in pretty poor taste.

i thought the translator bit was supposed to be the offensive part too :D no idea about the flag thing

Is there a stink being raised about this, or what's the deal?

Yeah, the article is here: http://www.on205th.com/2008/01/chicago-cub...-offending.html

Why?

If you read the article, towards the end it mentions:

"This flag is often considered offensive in countries which were victims of Japanese hostility, particularly China, Australia, United States and the Koreas, where it is seen as alarming, nationalistic and hostile."

I could have certainly seen myself using imagery like this in a design. I might have thought twice about putting the cubs logo at the center of it however. But, considering their who the intended target was (Japanese and Japanese-Americans) I would have run it by a few Japanese folks, or Fukudome himself, before proceeding, just to make sure. You'd think if the flag was indeed that offensive, they would have mentioned it. And perhaps that did happen and it got through no problem. I certainly did not know that the flag was considered offensive because you see those design elements used all the time.

And as far as his name... if only Harry Caray was still alive...watching him butcher that name would be comedic gold.

I got a better slogan for the Cubs

100-years 1 Million Tears

How are your Mets doing, Frank?

New York Mets Baseball -- Anyone Know the Heimlich?

:upside:

On topic, not offensive at all. In fact, I rather like it.

philly.png

I got a better slogan for the Cubs

100-years 1 Million Tears

How are your Mets doing, Frank?

New York Mets Baseball -- Anyone Know the Heimlich?

:upside:

On topic, not offensive at all. In fact, I rather like it.

Had I already not a spare, you sir would've owed me a new keyboard.

Actually I don't think the target market for this is as narrow as Pat thinks - we all recognize the imagery, offended by it or not, and we all get the message of it. That's precisely the intent of the piece. In short, it serves its intended purpose.

nav-logo.png

Hold up. Why? Why was it so idiotic? Are you offended by it or something? It's a valid point.

I am not offended by it at all. I just thought it was stupid and unnecessary. It may be a valid point but that doesn't mean it was a good point. What? No one besides you is allowed to run around shouting "unnecessary" all the time? You should find a way to work unnecessary into your screen name. If I had a dollar for every time you've said something was "unnecessary" I'd be sitting on a beach in The Keys right now instead of freezing my ass off in Ohio and responding to you.

BB52Big.jpg

Since it is an ad put out by the team I am assuming that they need his permission/approval for any ad with his name or image.

Ready you ass of you and me comments..... Now!

Yes, yes, assuming means you make an ass out of U and some guy named Ming.

But, see, I would have assumed the opposite - that his likeness is basically owned by the team, and that they wouldn't in fact need his permission to use it in an ad.

K, so it's settled- a bunch of white guys don't think it's bad. Maybe we should put the question out to the few, the proud, the Asians/PanAsians on the board who might take it the wrong way.

Me, I don't think it's that bad, but again, whitey. Nothing really offends me in anyway, except for how fathers are protrayed on television and within the justice system.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Since it is an ad put out by the team I am assuming that they need his permission/approval for any ad with his name or image.

Not necessarily. It depends on who he signed his contract with and its terms. Japanese teams regularly put clauses in player contracts that give the club absolute control over the player's image and likeness, as it may positively or negatively impact the reputation of the company that owns the club. If the contract was merely "sold" to an MLB team, those rights would transfer to the MLB club as part of the agreement - and the player, having signed away such rights, has no say.

nav-logo.png

I can see how someone could be offended. Should someone's realistic struggle to grasp the English language really be used to make a cutesy marketing slogan?

Then again... it gives me another reason to hate Chicago and the Cubs (not that I need any more, I'm just happy to get 'em :D )

I am not offended by it at all. I just thought it was stupid and unnecessary. It may be a valid point but that doesn't mean it was a good point. What? No one besides you is allowed to run around shouting "unnecessary" all the time? You should find a way to work unnecessary into your screen name. If I had a dollar for every time you've said something was "unnecessary" I'd be sitting on a beach in The Keys right now instead of freezing my ass off in Ohio and responding to you.

Why do you make assumptions like that? I never said anything like that. Sure I said his comment was unnecessary, but it was. I say that when something adds nothing to the conversation besides distaste. I wasn't taking it personally. Now you jump on another one of your "reasons" that I'm a idiot or whatever, just because I said something was unnecessary.

At least in my point, I made a connection to something that popped into my brain from personal experience when I saw the topic. They are similar things. Just because that someone says a word(or in this case, sees a flag) no matter what sense they use it in, that may have been controversial in any way, at any time, in any context, doesn't mean it has to be taken as offensive every single time it is spoken or shown in any sense. I don't think that's so stupid.

In any case, I wish I could make one post here without getting jumped all over for no real reason.

It's so unnecessary. :P

About as necessary as your idiotic gay analogy. If someone ever decides to do a top 50 list of the most :censored:-ed up comments ever posted on this board you're going to take up at least 20 spots. Not that that there's anything wrong with that...

I think he's well on his way to being the first CCSLC Stupid Post of the Day Laureate.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I think he's well on his way to being the first CCSLC Stupid Post of the Day Laureate.

[/sarcasm]

?

:P

The problem is that you have no self-control. You respond to EVERY single post that concerns you or something you like. Eventually, you'll learn to let things go and not feel the need to go off the deep end every time you're even moderately slighted.

Although, I hope that day takes a while, because the train-wreck nature of your posting here can be pretty entertaining. Especially when infrared shames you.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I made a connection to something that popped into my brain from personal experience when I saw the topic.

And that my friend is 90% of your problem. Right about when you think you have just one more thought to add is exactly the time when you should just shut the :censored: up before you say something off the charts stupid yet again. You get "jumped all over" all the time because you say some of the most profoundly idiotic things I have ever read on this board, and believe me that's saying something. You look for trouble at every turn and when you can't find it you create it. The fact that you are surprised by some of the reactions you have gotten makes you all the more ridiculous. Like a piece of fine art, you sir, are priceless.

Especially when infrared shames you.

I am hoping that's a compliment of some sort.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived