Springfield (IL) Sliders baseball

ltravisjr

I swear I have seen this brought up on these boards, but a search didn't turn anything up. Anyway, a couple weeks ago my hometown, Springfield, Illinois, officially announced its new CICL baseball team. The new Springfield Sliders name and identity had already been released in November. Their new site only has the primary logo so far. Based on these colors and the wordmark, I will really be interested in seeing what the caps and uniforms look like.

sliders657.jpg

The Slider's webpage (springfieldsliders.com) also has a contest to name the turtle mascot.

LT

Mascot Names --

"Abe" -- because a team in Springfield should make a Lincoln reference.

"Shrinkage" -- "like a frightened turtle" (and that looks like one frightened turtle, trying to run for its life at .2 mph)(alternate names "George" or "Costanza").

"Cecil" -- of Looney Tunes fame.

By the way, am I missing the connection between a turtle and the name "Sliders"?

By the way, am I missing the connection between a turtle and the name "Sliders"?

Some common species of turtles are called sliders. The red-eared slider, for example, is a common pet turtle, and I think it's native to most of the Mississippi valley. Anyway I know I encountered a few red-eared sliders mucking around the Cedar River as a boy in Iowa back in the day.

A promising logo; if the uniforms live up to the logo, this will be a very interesting team. Bold use of multiple shades of green. I'm very curious to see whether that carries over to the uniforms, too.

Some common species of turtles are called sliders. The red-eared slider, for example, is a common pet turtle, and I think it's native to most of the Mississippi valley. Anyway I know I encountered a few red-eared sliders mucking around the Cedar River as a boy in Iowa back in the day.

A promising logo; if the uniforms live up to the logo, this will be a very interesting team. Bold use of multiple shades of green. I'm very curious to see whether that carries over to the uniforms, too.

I will count this as my "You learn something new every day" item for the day.

Apparently, the turtle in the logo is supposed to be of a "red slider" turtle, which is indigenous to Illinois. That would explain why the logo has that little red stripe on the side of its head. Red slider turtles are apparently identified by that marking.

LT

At least that would be better than the Beloit Snappers' mascot:

snapper.gif

who is named "Snappy." :rolleyes:

Aw, come on. I love Snappy. I proudly wear that hat. And you can't go wrong with an A-Ball park featuring 10 beers on tap and all-you-can-eat Mondays.

Archived