Springfield (IL) Sliders baseball

ltravisjr

I swear I have seen this brought up on these boards, but a search didn't turn anything up. Anyway, a couple weeks ago my hometown, Springfield, Illinois, officially announced its new CICL baseball team. The new Springfield Sliders name and identity had already been released in November. Their new site only has the primary logo so far. Based on these colors and the wordmark, I will really be interested in seeing what the caps and uniforms look like.

sliders657.jpg

The Slider's webpage (springfieldsliders.com) also has a contest to name the turtle mascot.

LT

Suggestions for mascot names:

"Rod Blagojevich"

"Representative Slowpoke"

"Bill the Budget Turtle"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Mascot Names --

"Abe" -- because a team in Springfield should make a Lincoln reference.

"Shrinkage" -- "like a frightened turtle" (and that looks like one frightened turtle, trying to run for its life at .2 mph)(alternate names "George" or "Costanza").

"Cecil" -- of Looney Tunes fame.

By the way, am I missing the connection between a turtle and the name "Sliders"?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

By the way, am I missing the connection between a turtle and the name "Sliders"?

Some common species of turtles are called sliders. The red-eared slider, for example, is a common pet turtle, and I think it's native to most of the Mississippi valley. Anyway I know I encountered a few red-eared sliders mucking around the Cedar River as a boy in Iowa back in the day.

A promising logo; if the uniforms live up to the logo, this will be a very interesting team. Bold use of multiple shades of green. I'm very curious to see whether that carries over to the uniforms, too.

20082614447.png

Some common species of turtles are called sliders. The red-eared slider, for example, is a common pet turtle, and I think it's native to most of the Mississippi valley. Anyway I know I encountered a few red-eared sliders mucking around the Cedar River as a boy in Iowa back in the day.

A promising logo; if the uniforms live up to the logo, this will be a very interesting team. Bold use of multiple shades of green. I'm very curious to see whether that carries over to the uniforms, too.

I will count this as my "You learn something new every day" item for the day.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Apparently, the turtle in the logo is supposed to be of a "red slider" turtle, which is indigenous to Illinois. That would explain why the logo has that little red stripe on the side of its head. Red slider turtles are apparently identified by that marking.

LT

At least that would be better than the Beloit Snappers' mascot:

snapper.gif

who is named "Snappy." :rolleyes:

Aw, come on. I love Snappy. I proudly wear that hat. And you can't go wrong with an A-Ball park featuring 10 beers on tap and all-you-can-eat Mondays.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Did someone on this board to this? Looks familiar. - I think that may be one of Skye Designs logos

I know I've seen this - I believe your are correct creativelysain!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

At least that would be better than the Beloit Snappers' mascot:

snapper.gif

who is named "Snappy." :rolleyes:

:blink: He looks like he's about to snap.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived