Project Franchise

cincodemayo1

Hi guys.

I'm a frequent viewer and occasional poster of the site, so I don't want to overstep my boundaries, so let me know if I'm out of line here...

A few friends from college and I (we are now about 5 years removed from college) have started a company. Our hopes are that we'll be a publicly run franchise, where users will be able to make every decision, almost like a real life fantasy team. We are in talks with a number of leagues and in the coming weeks once our real site is launches, users will be able to pick logo designs, team unis, everything down to what condiments we serve at the game.

Is it cool is I post a link and a bit more info here so you guys can join up? If not, just say so or kill this thread, but if it's cool I'd be happy to give you guys the link and some more info.

We're already talking with a few interested leagues and things could take off real soon and real quick...

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Adam

Great...here's the rundown...keep in mind signing up is totally free and we're just trying to get people interested at the moment. Visit the site, sign on up, and spread the word. The more people that sign up, the quicker this will become a reality.

www.projectfranchise.org

THE PLAN

Our goal is to buy a professional sports franchise and let the fans take the wheel. Most of the people running our favorite teams are no more qualified than the guy pouring your drinks. So instead of hiring some overpaid GM to draft the next Ryan Leaf or take Sam Bowie over Jordan, we are letting the fans control the destiny of the team they root for. Project Franchise has done the research and come up with a creative business model to make it happen.

THE CONCEPT

? To fund the purchase of a professional sports franchise by offering fans an inexpensive way to get involved in the way their team is run.

THE PROCESS

? For $5 fans can purchase votes that will allow them to act as part of the team?s Collective General Manager.

? Fans will vote on everything from the team name, colors, coaches and lineups all the way down to condiments at the concession stand.

HOW IT WORKS

? First, we need fans that support Project Franchise to sign up to be part of the community - with no obligation to purchase a vote.

? When there are enough fans in the community to support the purchase of a team, then we will begin offering votes for sale at the initial price of $5 per vote.

? The amount of votes sold will determine what type of team we can afford to buy and the fans vote will help make the choice.

? We would love to acquire a serious MLB, NBA, NFL or NHL team but realistically we are looking to purchase (at least a majority stake) in a Minor League Baseball, NBA D-League, Arena Football, or American Hockey League club.

Sign up is free and there is no obligation to purchase a vote ? its just your way of telling us you think this is a cool idea and want to hear more. Getting fan?s support is important part of this process - so sign up now!

If you have any questions please feel free to email us at TEAM@projectfranchise.org.

www.projectfranchise.org

hows that phrase go?

"too many cooks...."

We thought about that...but what it comes down to is a democratically run team. All decisions (within league rules) that we can allow the people to vote on, we will. We'll have forums and whatnot, but all it really comes down to is a vote, and the highest vote wins. So there really shouldn't be too many "cooks" in any kitchen...

well what is was thinking was

if you hire a defensive coach, his focus is defense, he picks defensive players to compliment each other

now you will have fans with all kinds of different ideas

maybe the team needs a linebacker, but the majority wants to draft the hot shot qb

and how are trades made?

i think the team needs a "philosophy" and needs to stick to it

with a majority rule, the philosophy will change all the time

thats just my opinion

ok

example

the team desperately needs a qb, they have the number one pick

30% of the people pick peyton manning

30% of the people pick ryan leaf

40% of the people pick andre wadsworth

who does the team pick

well based on the vote, the team picks andre wadsworth and still desperately needs a quarterback

well what is was thinking was

if you hire a defensive coach, his focus is defense, he picks defensive players to compliment each other

now you will have fans with all kinds of different ideas

maybe the team needs a linebacker, but the majority wants to draft the hot shot qb

and how are trades made?

i think the team needs a "philosophy" and needs to stick to it

with a majority rule, the philosophy will change all the time

thats just my opinion

Definitely appreciate the feedback BIGBAD. All of this will be figured out down the line, especially once a league backs us. We're not going to do anything that goes against league policy. As far as coaches go, this will again be figured out with the league, but we will give the fans as much power as we can. We're starting with a smaller independent league because we will probably have more voting control this way. We honestly do think fans can run a team better than a hired pro.

But using your example, if the team needs a LB but the majority wants the hot QB, then we'll probably go with the fans choice. If this truly is a majority decision, then they probably have good reason for drafting a hot QB rather than the LB.

As for trades, again, within league rules, but we'll try to have the fans vote on at least a few scenarios. The coaches and team operators will probably determine the best trade ideas (and we'll probably look for feedback in our forums) but we hope to ultimately have the fans pick what choice is best.

Hope that answers your questions.

i just think your decision will be based on minority and not majority

unless your votes are a or b

most votes will have 8,9,10 possibilities

so votes will be won with 20% or less

so 80% or more will disagree with the results

This is certainly a very interesting and ambitious idea. I'm not really sure I can envision it working, though. Owners don't decide who to draft. They hire scouts and other people with expertise to do that kind of work. Is every Joe Blow that buys a share of this team going to have to go scout potential draft picks on his own time? That's just one example of a roadblock. I can think of about 10,000 others.

I wish you the best of luck, though. If you can somehow pull this off, it would really be something.

i just think your decision will be based on minority and not majority

unless your votes are a or b

most votes will have 8,9,10 possibilities

so votes will be won with 20% or less

so 80% or more will disagree with the results

We've discussed your point...if it comes down to a breakdown of 40%, 30% and 30%, we'll probably have a second vote with the top 2 choices. If it then comes down to 50% and 50%, we'll most likely let the coach ultimately decide what's best for the team.

Again, not all the kinks are ironed out, and everything we do will need to be within league policy, but as of right now we're just trying to gain some interest in the project.

So feel free to sign up and watch how we handle things down the line.

And if you have any more questions, post them here and I'll try to answer as best I can.

This is certainly a very interesting and ambitious idea. I'm not really sure I can envision it working, though. Owners don't decide who to draft. They hire scouts and other people with expertise to do that kind of work. Is every Joe Blow that buys a share of this team going to have to go scout potential draft picks on his own time? That's just one example of a roadblock. I can think of about 10,000 others.

I wish you the best of luck, though. If you can somehow pull this off, it would really be something.

Good point Jezus...again, we'll let the fans vote on everything we can. Depending on the league and coach and rules, you're right. Fans might not make the draft calls at all.

Some of the leagues we're looking at have open try outs and walk ons, so that's the kind of thing you'd vote on. Who makes the team. Again, we're not going after the big boy leagues, where there are scounts and major drafts...we're starting small and working our way up!

Isn't this what was just done for MyFootballClub? We (I own one share) just purchased Ebsfleet United FC. Great idea, wondered why it wasn't done before.

MyFootballClub

Hey Hawk36,

Yeah, we learned about them while doing our research. It's a bit different in that you pay more upfront for MyFootballClub and then you become an annual owner (tell me if I'm wrong), but fees renew yearly and cost is about £35 (more or less $70). Instead, we want to offer a small vote price of $5 for a lifetime vote (until the team dies or is sold).

Personally, I like the UK model, but we think our cheaper model will get more people involved.

How is your experience with MyFootballClub? I'd love to hear more about how you like it, how and if it works, etc.

I think you should take those black accents and outlines off the uniforms. Black for the sake of black is ridiculous (a la Detroit Lions) not to mention out of style anyway. And what were you thinking to have teal as a color? That was a fad that's way over.

What? Oh, it hasn't started yet? Sorry about that.

Just a little CCSLC humor. B)

I think you should take those black accents and outlines off the uniforms. Black for the sake of black is ridiculous (a la Detroit Lions) not to mention out of style anyway. And what were you thinking to have teal as a color? That was a fad that's way over.

What? Oh, it hasn't started yet? Sorry about that.

Just a little CCSLC humor. B)

HA! Yeah, let the ranting begin. Actually, that's my main reason for posting about the site here. Once we do get down to logo deciding, I'd love to try to get some of you involved in the designing and voting part. The stuff on here is amazing. I've been a lurker for a few years now.

I can only imagine the arguments over the logos and colors that are down the line.

But don't worry...the black and teal will NOT be our team colors. Just like everything else, that'll be a vote!

Isn't this what was just done for MyFootballClub? We (I own one share) just purchased Ebsfleet United FC. Great idea, wondered why it wasn't done before.

MyFootballClub

Hey Hawk36,

Yeah, we learned about them while doing our research. It's a bit different in that you pay more upfront for MyFootballClub and then you become an annual owner (tell me if I'm wrong), but fees renew yearly and cost is about £35 (more or less $70). Instead, we want to offer a small vote price of $5 for a lifetime vote (until the team dies or is sold).

Personally, I like the UK model, but we think our cheaper model will get more people involved.

How is your experience with MyFootballClub? I'd love to hear more about how you like it, how and if it works, etc.

Lot's of fun so far. Only problem is getting Ebsfleet gear. Have had scarfs on back order now for the past month. Now that they're owned by thousands, seems they will need to increase the production of their merchandise quantities to meet the demand of new owners who want to sport the team gear.

Archived