Found: Unused Super Bowl XXXVIII Logo

Mac the Knife

WOW. Nice find. I like it a lot. I hated the logo they used at first but it grew on me. I think this one failed because it focused on the NASA side of Houston, without referencing anything 'western.' The other one included both.

After a second glance it looks a little too NBA Rockets as well.

The orientation of the logo looks like XXXVI, and the rocket is way to busy.

I've come to terms with the accepted XXXVIII logo. It wasn't so bad. Now XXIX? That was a bad logo...

Though no one asked, I thought I'd tell you -- the logo at which you are looking was done by Rickabaugh Graphics. They even have it up on their web site.

Cool; I don't feel bad about posting it here then. I can't remember for the life of me where it might've come from; didn't even recall having it.

And for those who might have forgotten, here's the one the NFL ultimately went with, which IMHO isn't nearly as attractive:

2343.gif

Bery nice. I wish I had cool stuff like that on my harddrive.

Thanx for sharing.

I have roughly 3 terabytes of total drive space, and rarely if ever delete anything. Problem is that I don't know where I put things half the time, so occasionally I come across a document, graphic or something else that I've long since forgotten... kind of an electronic equivalent of finding that old trophy you won 15 years ago sitting in a box in your garage. :)

Though no one asked, I thought I'd tell you -- the logo at which you are looking was done by Rickabaugh Graphics. They even have it up on their web site.

Cool; I don't feel bad about posting it here then. I can't remember for the life of me where it might've come from; didn't even recall having it.

And for those who might have forgotten, here's the one the NFL ultimately went with, which IMHO isn't nearly as attractive:

2343.gif

Yeah. they missed the boat on that one.

The idea of including a rocket is nice...but the execution is too busy. They easily could have combined the two logos in a more subtle way to include the rocket in the orbit like stripes that circled the logo they ended up using. In the end, I like the logo they used because its very easy to read....and I think easy to read and recognize logos are always better then clever busy ones.

I hated the logo they used at first but eventually grew to like it. I'm in Houston so of coarse I saw it everywhere and still do have it on some stuff hanging in my game room right now. Don't get me wrong, it's not on the best Super Bowl logo by any means, but compared to the last two hideous logos and the all time worst logo, Super Bowl 29, it's really not that bad.

I think this one failed because it focused on the NASA side of Houston, without referencing anything 'western.' The other one included both.

I'm failing to see how the logo that was, in fact, used references the west. Looks solely like a NASA mission logo to me.

The roman numeral font is the only thing vaguely western about the logo. And even that's a stretch.

And as we've discussed many times here, the final design was dictated by the non-graphic designers in charge.

This was the design that they wanted, this is what they got.

Todd Radom designed that logo, and he has told me on many an occasion that he would have gone in a different direction if it were up to him, but it wasn't.

That logo looks live traced/unfinished. The wordmark and some of the lines just aren't right.

But that's besides the point.

It's a nice logo. I also don't hate the idea behind what they chose. But I wish they'd have given Radom more freedom to make it look good.

Archived