NRL 2008 jerseys

Primal

This year, the NRL is celebrating the centenary of rugby league in Australia (1908-2008), which is almost certain to make for lots and lots of heritage jumpers.

Some clubs are already in the groove...

Wests Tigers (formerly Balmain and Western Suburbs)

westsalt08ev7.jpgwestshome08bj8.jpg Home and alternate jerseys

westsheritagew08px9.jpgwestsheritageb08te9.jpg Western Suburbs and Balmain heritage jerseys

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sydney Roosters

The fairly familiar

2520.jpg2540.jpg2551.jpg

Home, away and 'Foundation jersey' respectively.

2238.jpg

1945 commemorative jumper, which will not be sold to the public with any sponsor logos.

There is also a blue Foundation jersey which hasn't shown up in their shop yet. You can see it below along with the gameday version of the 1945 jersey.

Jersey_Launch.jpg

I've seen a fair few of the new jerseys for this year but didn't post because a lot of the changes are awful. All of the Tigers jerseys are below par; especially the heritage jerseys which look like they've tried to cram three styles into one.

The Roosters have some nice looking jerseys there but there are way too many of them. I've always liked the wartime sky blue jumper (sky blue as dye was in short supply at the time and it was also the first time they used the v design) and it contrasts enough with the home blue. Ideally they'd scrap the blue foundation jersey as well as the white away. You'd have 3 jerseys of different colours from 3 eras.

Now for some more jerseys that I've seen:

The Titans have bastardised a Seagulls jersey for their heritage jersey:

0,,5778426,00.jpg

Sharks new Away, big improvement over their white and silver sailor suit:

Away_0020_3_m.JPG

Sea-Eagles templated away:

08-AwayJerseyfront.gif

And heritage (the oldschool logo is a nice touch):

08-HeritageJerseyFront.gif

Here the templated Storm away. The Storm are really taking to purple these days:

pgcimg_20080123100535500.jpg

sig.png

This will sound like a newbie question but, is there some reason why rugby league uniforms are so busy?

Even the simpler designs are quickly overwhelmed by logos - league, club and sponsor logos really add up quickly. Add in the centenary logo for this year and it's chaos. And as with all sports, some designers just don't comprehend simplicity.

The Tigers' sublimated gradient craziness from last season looked so much better than whatever this year's set is supposed to be. Any word yet on what Souths will be sporting this year?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

dont really think you can ask that question having said "team sentiment aside".

do you honestly buy sports jerseys to look sweet?

lets face it, we may love sports jerseys in the purely asthetic sense, but i reckon that stretches as far

as the on-field look. most blokes dont look as awesome as their sporting heros, 6 beers down slumped at the bar on a friday.

even if you feel you do at the time.

its all about the team when it comes to wearing them out in public.

unless youre wearing a new zealand all blacks jersey. then the chicks pants just fall off. fact.

Well sports clubs don't make money. Well they don't make much. They need corporate support to stay afloat. And besides, sports fans don't see wearing their clubs shirt or jumper as advertising. They see it as supporting their club or team.

Clubs have limited revenue streams, gate receipts, merchandise and sponsors.

It's not an issue in Australia that teams have a sponsor.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Well sports clubs don't make money. Well they don't make much. They need corporate support to stay afloat. And besides, sports fans don't see wearing their clubs shirt or jumper as advertising. They see it as supporting their club or team.

Understood. Guess I'm somewhat spoiled by American sports - except for 'minor' leagues, we'd consider this (slapping corporate logos on jerseys) something of an abberration if not an abomination, and I suspect merchandise sales would drop.

Then again, I know people who willingly pony up $50 to wear something that's most prominent feature is a Nike swoosh, so...

nav-logo.png

Understood. Guess I'm somewhat spoiled by American sports - except for 'minor' leagues, we'd consider this (slapping corporate logos on jerseys) something of an abberration if not an abomination, and I suspect merchandise sales would drop.

Then again, I know people who willingly pony up $50 to wear something that's most prominent feature is a Nike swoosh, so...

nrl jerseys are covered in tonnes of logos from lots of different sponsoring parties and relative to football where there is often only one main logo

they, look gaudy. even to antipodeans i reckon. the super 14 jerseys are marginally tidier, but not much. they seem to have one main logo

and a couple of discreet logos on the sleeve. the worst ive ever seen are the french rugby union top 14 jerseys. they are totally outrageous.

but no need to pity us andour poor sports teams. you can keep your immaculate virgin baltimore ravens jersey. perhaps some sponsors

could cover up some of those sweet colours? haha.

The badge placement is driving me crazy with these. The centenary patch either needs to go on the sleeve or the back of the neck or the NRL needs its own centenary patch as the two badges just looks silly.

The Cowboys jerseys get worse everytime they change them. There's almost a Mooterus happening on that new one.

The entry of KooGa into the NRL is hardly a positive either. Their ESL gear is pretty bad. That said the Knights gear is simple enough, and looks almost classy compared to the other teams.

St George had their jerseys perfect the last couple of seasons with the old school Steelers red jersey as the away. Pointless changes for adidas' sake.

Even South have kept the stupid stupid side panels if the Australia Day game in Jacksonville is any guide. I just hope they don't wear the awful black version this season if they aren't going retro.

liverpool-1.png

I think the AFL have it right in a small logo on the front and across the back. As everyone has it like that it looks neat. The Australian cricket team was alright until they signed with the CBA, they're logo is way too big. VB always seemed to be small, well, its not a big logo i suppose. The EPL have it right too. The NRL and NBL.... it's like the designers are forced to design around the logos and try come up with something.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Not entirely true - too many ads can cross the line. Take a look at the way more ads are creeping into smaller leagues like the WAFL. The other thing I don't like is when ads cause/necessitate a major disruption to a design. Lots of NRL clubs that used a non-horizontal shape on the front of their jersey (like a V or a lightning bolt) have had it cut off or reshaped by an ill-conceived square ad being plonked on top of it.

For the most part, however, you're right. Club merchandise of any kind is considered a means of showing your support first, a means of advertising second. Once you get used to seeing the sponsor's logo, you actually tend to think of the company as 'a sponsor of my club' rather than 'a company in market X advertising product or service Y'.

(Logos aren't, of themselves, a particularly good means of advertising a product or service's features - it's more about building brand recognition and goodwill.)

Archived