Hornets Concept

KennyRock

So, I've been thinking a lot about my Hornets, and as the situation with Seattle-to-Oklahoma moves on, or doesn't, I've been coming to the same conclusion - Seattle fans should get to keep their Sonics, as at least there's a history of the fans supporting the team. But as for the New Orleans Hornets, even at 29-12 at the top of the West, they're still not selling out the New Orleans Arena, and I feel they would benefit from a move way more than Seattle.

Now, let me make myself clear - I'm not the biggest George Shinn fan, but I can't blame him for wanting to keep his team, and after becoming a pariah in Charlotte, he had no choice really - the fans still wanted basketball but they didn't want him. He could sell the team or move it, and he chose the later. I also can't be too hard on him these days cause he took a big risk on the Stojakovic signing and didn't say A WORD when Peja was hurt for most of last year. Finally, he(and Jeff Bower) should get some credit for sticking with Byron Scott, I think that's allowed the team some consistency after burning through 2 coaches in their first 2 years in New Orleans(Charlotte holdover Paul Silas and Tim Floyd).

ANYWAY, I do believe the team would benefit from a move to Oklahoma. Since they already kept the Hornets name through one move, I figured they'd keep the name if they moved again. Most people don't even remember how the name came about(which has nothing to do with the insect population in North Carolina, which I am no expert on - the name was chosen over "Spirit" due to a fan contest; "Hornets" refers all the way back to the revolutionary way when British General Cornwallis referred to Charlotte as "a hornets' nest of rebellion" for the city's fierce resistance to his troops.) Anyway, it's the team identity now, if you didn't change it before, don't change it now.

I was browsing on iStockphoto and found this amazing Hornet drawing - with that said, I did NOT draw the Hornet you see in this concept. I wish I could. The hexagon is a resized version of the one they use now - everything else about the concept is original.

Here we go, my concept for the Oklahoma Hornets - and yes, grey is the home jersey.

n36400913_31851045_7570.jpg

C+C, please and thank you!

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Don't like the hornet, as said by others, way too detailed. Also the font bugs me(bugs me, get it? <_< ). However, I like the colors and where the jerseys are going. Work out a simplified hornet and change that font and you've got something. Also, if there is any teams moving in the NBA, it should be the Hornets to Utah and the Jazz back to New Orleans. Seattle should keep the Sonics. It will be a disgrace if they move. The Jazz and Hornets should at least switch identities. Keep the same front office and players but change names. The Jazz just doesn't make sense in Utah. I can't believe they didn't change the name when they moved originally.

Although it's designed nicely, as everyone else said, you need a simplified hornet. I'm not really a fan of your jersey pattern, I don't like black and yellow period but I don't know which other colors would look better.

Not feeling the unis and besides the hornets belong to NOLA and will end up staying.

uNI'S are terible and arttendence is growing in a city abandoned by that franchise for two years...go steal someone elses team.....

1) Your sentiment is quite hilarious considering how this franchise started out in Charlotte.

2) Going off of the official numbers....the Hornets are 29th in the NBA for attendance average at 12,159, 29th in total attendance, and 28th in percent of capacity. Unless they are seriously underreporting, I sense that the attendance isn't "growing". Bear in mind this is for a team that presently is on the top of its division, first in its Conference, and second in the league. If that's the best New Orleans can do for a team that good....perhaps you protest too much.

Oh...and its down from the last 2 years in New Orleans as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic....I agree that the logo is too busy, and I don't terribly care for the side panels. I get where you are trying to go with this concept, but I'm not sure it translates well to basketball uniforms.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not feeling the unis and besides the hornets belong to NOLA and will end up staying.

uNI'S are terible and arttendence is growing in a city abandoned by that franchise for two years...go steal someone elses team.....

1) Your sentiment is quite hilarious considering how this franchise started out in Charlotte.

2) Going off of the official numbers....the Hornets are 29th in the NBA for attendance average at 12,159, 29th in total attendance, and 28th in percent of capacity. Unless they are seriously underreporting, I sense that the attendance isn't "growing". Bear in mind this is for a team that presently is on the top of its division, first in its Conference, and second in the league. If that's the best New Orleans can do for a team that good....perhaps you protest too much.

Oh...and its down from the last 2 years in New Orleans as wel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic....I agree that the logo is too busy, and I don't terribly care for the side panels. I get where you are trying to go with this concept, but I'm not sure it translates well to basketball uniforms.

Talking with your internet courage you have no clue the leaps and bounds this community has made to get back on it's feet. The attendance has been growing and considering that we are a fickle people who watched "our team" play in another city for two years....oh and the fact that entire communities here were destroyed. Right we sold the several games last year...on weekends.... Next time you want to get courage when you type about the people of New Orleans or judging the "best" we can do feel free to come down here so I can educate you. I can't wait for Jim Haslett's stellar defense next year..

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

Talking with your internet courage you have no clue the leaps and bounds this community has made to get back on it's feet. The attendance has been growing and considering that we are a fickle people who watched "our team" play in another city for two years....oh and the fact that entire communities here were destroyed. Right we sold the several games last year...on weekends.... Next time you want to get courage when you type about the people of New Orleans or judging the "best" we can do feel free to come down here so I can educate you. I can't wait for Jim Haslett's stellar defense next year..

First off! LMFAO Second, I wouldn't get down on him too much Cav, I mean them bastards did beat us! I hate to admit it but we went into that game soft and only did what people around the city have been saying for years that we can give a zero win team their first victory! (Remember the "new" Cleveland Browns and that last minute corner endzone touchdown?). I know it still hurts but none the less my friend the Cavalier, does speak the truth! Think of the fans that were lost permanently due to the storm or the one's that still remain but just can't afford to get season tickets or even the cheap one's that the team offers. It's a sad reality but I for one will tell you that my city won't be fixed over night by no means! I too am struggling as a business owner, a bar owner in a city known for drinking and I sit not far outside the French Quarter! The country might be headed towards a recession but hell my city is already there!

George Shinn, didn't make the situation any better by hinting that he wanted to move the franchise to Oklahoma. It doesn't take much to piss-off a southerner especially one living in a city that mother nature tried to erase off of the map, he could have easily looked at the situation with Tom Benson, and saw what the backlash would have been like. Instead he buy's a house in the city he re-locates to supposedly temporary which I can't get mad at but don't tell the media that you "feel at home here" and then expect to get a warm response when the NBA makes you move back to the city you told "felt like home"!

I realize this business is all about the allmighty dollar and given that N.O. is a very small market, he should have second guessed his move from Charolette, before he did it in the first place rather than get here, be mad and want to leave! Corporate language is nothing more than money, money, money, money! That's why their in the business that there in. Contracts are in place to keep these businesses "honest" in terms so that they can't just up and move a team whenever the grass ain't green enough for them anymore. I don't know what the situation was with the Jazz and there move to Utah, but I know that if the Hornets, leave the city we will most likely never get another NBA franchise again!

I am trying to do my part as a fan because I don't wan to see them leave either. I bought (2) season tickets and gave them to my nieces so I feel like I contribute. I can't buy out the arena so it's not just up to me but I don't think that it's right that with the new agreement, Shinn, is putting a dark cloud over the city again. A dark cloud that the people of New Orleans, has seen time and time again and a dark cloud that we don't need to see right now!

I was a little too emotional in my last post. I get sick of sarcasm from people who have no knowledge ofwhat's going on down here and feel like it is there right to comment on what we should do, or how we are failing. That said, the poster did not warrant such a response, but he is a person who seeks argument here.....He was right when it comes to the HORNETS attendance, andconsidering their record we should be a little farther along than we are. I think we can keep them but there must be a willing patience due to the communities rebuilding. In three years I beleive we could be where we need to be. If we aren't and they move....well at least we still have the SAINTS and everyone in this area would take to the streets if they left.....

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

That would be okay if this was the ABA.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

That would be okay if this was the ABA.

These aren't too bad, the bee is a bit "busy" (busy as a bee), but I'd also be curious to see him/it with a basketball somewhere, similar to the one that has it now.

I'd also like to see this as New Orleans, as it has black & gold tones to it, similar to the Saints.

Regards,

Bill

Archived