CONCEPT81: Washington Warriors (Complete Package)

bigdub81

I've been gone for a while (about to be a daddy) but I still messed around with my concepts in my off time! This concept was based off of the Washington Redskins past and present and in what way I think that the both could be utilized if they were to ever change for political reasons. I've heard the name mentioned a time or two before on the boards and thought that it was only fitting to a club who's identity had been based of a culture of "fierce warriors" that they be called as such. I played around with this concept for quite some time and I didn't want to rush it until I felt that it was at my best judgement "flawless". I modified the uniform template to accomdate for the sleeves (or lack there of), a cleaner helmet and better stitching detail throughout the uniform set. As you will see I proposed the chage for 2010, and I know before someone calls me on it that the NFL Shield, will have been changed by then but I couldn't find the vector of it and I didn't want to spend the time creating it so don't get down on me too bad! The design was based off of the 75th Anniversary, uniforms with obvious modifications to bring the different era's together. C&C as usual and thank's for checking out my post!

NFLConcept-Warriors-Helmet.png

NFLConcept-Warriors-LogoPackage.png

NFLConcept-Warriors-GoldPants.png

NFLConcept-Warriors-RedPants.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW. That's great. My only gripe is with the little points on the numbers. They don't really add anything, they just look funny. They aren't prominent enough, so they look like something is flawed rather than they are supposed to be there. Oh, and that is drop dead gorgeous Illustrator work my friend. Top Notch. Love the switch to Warriors too. It's PC but it keeps the spirit of the team. It wouldn't be an outright change to something stupid(i.e. Bullets to Wizards). I really wish the Golden State Warriors would go back to the Native American theme. It's not anyone's business but theirs, but I don't see how the NA's could be offended by a team celebrating their proud warrior heritage.

This is some nice work. I'm not a fan of mix-and-matching, so I think I'd like to see yellow pants with the maroon jersey and maroon pants with the white jersey. Those are the two best looks, in my opinion.

I get what you're trying to do with your numbers, but I think that block numbers might look better. I usually love the idea of teams using a unique number font, but I'm not sure it works in this case. I don't hate the font you chose, though.

The helmet is the main area of concern for me. The feather is nice. The spears are nice. Together, they are just too much.

This is fantastic work. The only problem (and it's minor at best) I have is the font choice for "Warriors." It looks more fitting to the Vikings or something of that nature rather than a Native American theme. It looks great as is, but that's the only thing that looks off to me.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Too many feathers, everywhere. Pick either the feather or the spear for the helmet, not both. It's just overkill on the pants and the logotype. Speaking of which, that just doesn't look like an NFL logotype. It reminds me of a Pirates of the Caribbean action figure series or TV show or something. The strange numbers have already been addressed. The points make me think 'old west' and it doesn't work for a team near the east coast. I also think the double outlines are a bit overboard. The redskins single gold outlines are really nice. I think gold pants at home and burgundy on the road would be nice as well. You have way too many pants and socks, too. Either do solid socks, or striped socks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This is some nice work. I'm not a fan of mix-and-matching, so I think I'd like to see yellow pants with the maroon jersey and maroon pants with the white jersey. Those are the two best looks, in my opinion.

I get what you're trying to do with your numbers, but I think that block numbers might look better. I usually love the idea of teams using a unique number font, but I'm not sure it works in this case. I don't hate the font you chose, though.

The helmet is the main area of concern for me. The feather is nice. The spears are nice. Together, they are just too much.

I'm not a fan of the mix-and-matching either! Honestly the two combinations that you mentioned are my pick's as well. I think that overall the gold pants look better than the white for the sake of having a tie into their current pants. The white on gold just doesn't look right IMO but I put all the combinations in there for you all to make your own choice. I am a true believer that all teams should have a set of pants that match their helmet color. I'm old school in my liking's so that's why I chose to throw in some striped socks for the white/maroon/white combo like what the Chiefs, wear whenever they wear their red pants.

Them wearing that combo with the solid maroon socks wouldn't hurt me since they do it now, but I like the white with stripe socks to break it up a bit. For some reason their is a pure hatred of striped socks by some on these boards, don't know why, but to each his own! I honestly liked the set with the white pants at first but I fell in love with the gold and maroon pants the more I got into this concept. And the monochrome maroon outfit I don't think would look that bad and let's be real about it, in today's NFL having these uni's as your set, you WILL see these on the field of play!

And yes, the helmet was too "busy" for me as well....Just trying to do something that was mentioned by another poster before. Too many feathers? I didn't want to do a blank sided helmet with just the feather running down the middle and the first idea I had was a stripe pattern to what they currently use but with the secondary logo on the side replacing the indian hed logo that they use now! It can all be tweaked though! Using just the spear would have already been "done" before minus the middle and updated spear feathers.

This is fantastic work. The only problem (and it's minor at best) I have is the font choice for "Warriors." It looks more fitting to the Vikings or something of that nature rather than a Native American theme. It looks great as is, but that's the only thing that looks off to me.

Yeah I got the font from www.dafonts.com. I was looking for something "tribal" and easy to tweak by giving it sharp points and edges to tie into the spear and feather tips. The jersey numbers and "Washington" of the wordmark is the same font used by the Anaheim Angels. I originally had block lettering but thought that their script looked cool and fitted in better with the whole theme that I was going for. It would be a tailor's nightmare to stitch three layers of material with these amount of curves on a jersey! I'd be pissed! But if ya'll want I'll throw in the block font for look's sake!

- Thanks again peoples!

I absolutely love them....I loved your Saints one you did months back.....that design has been thrown all over Saints site's as the next uni's...I wish they were.....

Thank's Cav! Sorry about the bullsh**t we went through a few month's back! As far as the design I did, what sites inparticualr did my design wind up on? I'm curious to see what other people are saying because I have an even better design IMO that I'm going to be putting up next for discussion!

As suggested by Mr. Harrington....block letters (by others) with single trim, no helmet feather/stripe, gold and marron pants, solid socks for home and striped for away! Ok how do they look now??

NFLConcept-Warriors-Revision.png

It's certainly looking nice. I'm a bit worried that our suggestions are just going to morph this into exactly the same thing as the Redskin's throwbacks (although that might not be such a bad thing).

I know I suggested a block number font before, but I do think that a custom number font could look great. I just don't think you chose the right font for your first crack at it. I'd like to see you mess around with that a bit more. Maybe just a minor deviance from standard block would be the best route to take.

Also, I think I'd like to see stripes on both pairs of socks.

If you're going to mess around and make this concept "uniquely yours," I think your best approach might be to work on the sleeve stripes. The standard stripes look fine, but they are very unremarkable. I still think feathers could work. I'm imagining something like the Patriots' tapered shoulder stripes, but with a hint of feather to them. It might end up looking gaudy, but I think it's worth trying out some things in the sleeves/shoulder area.

That looks better. The white looks better than the burgundy to me, though. Maybe it's the sleeve stripes or something. A hint, though: for your shadows, instead of making them transparent black, change them to the registration color (looks like a white square with a crosshair on it). It's basically a black that uses a mixture of all the colors and makes your shadows look darker and richer than that weird grayish color they look now.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I absolutely love them....I loved your Saints one you did months back.....that design has been thrown all over Saints site's as the next uni's...I wish they were.....

Thank's Cav! Sorry about the bullsh**t we went through a few month's back! As far as the design I did, what sites inparticualr did my design wind up on? I'm curious to see what other people are saying because I have an even better design IMO that I'm going to be putting up next for discussion!

As suggested by Mr. Harrington....block letters (by others) with single trim, no helmet feather/stripe, gold and marron pants, solid socks for home and striped for away! Ok how do they look now??

NFLConcept-Warriors-Revision.png

Bo prob, I think i was the one who was being an ahole...the Saints are the ones wh have been putting out mixed signals. I spoke with a guy who works within the org that said there will be a change this year and that he has seen them. He said there was some striping on the jerseys and pants....we'll see. He also said the owner did not like the gold alternate sent with the sample. Your desong is discussed daily on Saintsreport.com and Tigerdroppings.com. I love your work

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

This concept is great. The logo and wordmark are awesome. I like the helmet with all the stuff on there but I can see how people would see it as too busy. I think the updated helmet looks good too. And all of the combinations are nice, I like how you included the Clinton Portis maroon socks.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Love these...the helmet looks great, but I can see with the feather why it appears busy. The updated version is nice too. Are the numbers sitting lower or is it just my bad eyes? Otherwise, this is top notch!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I would personally leave the feather on the helmet, it just looks too damn awesome and take off the spear, and leave the sides blank or possibly a "W" on there! I mean if the Browns can play with just a colour, then blank shouldn't be too bad, and the feather is a great touch. Other than that, everything about the ORIGINAL concept is great! The little spikey's on the lettering don't take away from anything therefore it doesn't mater if they are there or not, the Font is awesome and works perfectly for the text logo. And everything else is just gravy and would be perfect for a team who is trying to change there identity, without loosing the original meaning and feel! Sweet concept, awesome work, and....ahhh oh ya...sweet template!! (hint hint, wink wink)

This is fantastic for so many reasons.

I have to admit, though, I'm kind of half and half about both the spears and the feather on the helmet -- on one hand, it almost seems too much; on the other hand, it kind of looks sharp.

But I really love the look without the white pants. And the Warriors name instead of Redskins. And the wordmark. And the sleeves. Etc., etc., etc.

I love it, but I'd drop the spear as I've never been a fan of it. I'd love to see it without the spear on the sleeves and helmet. I think the inclusion of the spear just makes it look too busy on the helmet and the sleeves.

Archived