Super Bowl Rings article on ESPN.com

powersurge

I think the Colts one from last year is by far the best. A lot of these rings are a testament to what an ugly, gaudy color gold is. Notice how most of the best looking gold rings keep the actual gold to a minimum.

Great article though.

I find the ones with multiple Lombardi trophies to be the most gaudy and over done. The Steelers one from a couple of years ago is horrible; The Pats' rings suffer from that too. Way overdone for my liking.

The best ones either incorporate the team logo or a football shape. I love the Lombardi Trophy, just not on a ring.

My Brother owned a restaurant in Bristol, TN and Ray Nitschke and his wife(?) came in. My brother knew who he was and was being the consummate restaurateur getting a pic for the wall. And then the waitress asked what HIGH SCHOOL that ring was from. Ray and my brother both got a good laugh. Then Ray took the ring and let the waitress put it on and get a pic as well. My brother said he was a very nice guy and came to the restaurant often when we would pass though Bristol.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I love looking at Super Bowl rings, not only for the design, but for what they represent. My Grandfather once did electrical work for Jay Novacek, and he invited us over to his ranch to show us around. I was only around eleven at the time, but Jay took the time to show us his rings. Simply amazing what they can do, and what a bunch of hard pressed minerals can mean to a year of work.

I have four SB rings, buying them from the estates of deceased players (in one case) or coaches (in another), and they are among my favorite designs: the three Raider rings, and the 49'ers ring from SB XXIII. I never wear them, but this time of year I find myself taking them out of my safe and staring at them for a while. Other favorites are the Steeler rings from IX and XIV.

The first Patriots ring is okay but the other two are downright ugly, as are three of the Cowboys five (VI, XII and XXX). The 49'ers rings from XIX and XXIX are also not very attractive, nor are any of the rings over the four game span of XXXII to XXXV. But then again, that's just my opinion.

nav-logo.png

I just noticed that since the Packers last ring (XXXI), only Tampa Bay HASN'T had its logo put on the ring (you could argue that the Cowboys started it the previous year, but that looks more like a generic star than their actual logo). Problem is... most of the teams that have won the Super Bowl since then don't have simple enough logos to not look forced as hell. The Colts is beautiful (like I said earlier) and the Packers is nice. But pretty much all the ones inbetween look like crap... other than Tampa Bay which just looks blah...

The Cowboys '77, The Steelers '78, and the Raiders '83 are my faves. The Ravens one looks goofy and the Patriots '03 looks like some kid broke it and tried to glue it back together. With all the "bling" of the recent years models, the should consider offering SB goblets and medallions to complete the look.

Personally I like Dallas' from XXVIII. But hey, I'd wear any of them if I could.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Personally I like Dallas' from XXVIII. But hey, I'd wear any of them if I could.

You'd think that, but in the rare cases where I've worn one (usually XXIII), I wound up being very self-conscious. Invariably people would spot it, make comments or ask questions and what-not, and after a while I'd honestly not feel safe, wondering if one of them was going to get brave and rob me or something.

nav-logo.png

I like the Super Bowl I story the best, until it got all preachy about the retired players. The Colts ring from 2006 looks surprisingly classy. The rest of the logo ones (like Denver in 1999) are overly gaudy, in my opinion. But hey, they aren't all for wearing. A lot of them, I'm sure, are for displaying in a trophy case or something.

Archived