AAFL Draft

ManCalledAmp

I was surprised to find the 2008 AAFL Draft on CSS today, and even more surprised that it actually didn't look very shabby.

The logos they used for the teams looked like clipart, to say the least. I couldn't get screen caps, but I can give a basic description of them.

Team Tennessee: Orange state of TN under the word Tennessee in white outlined in orange on white background. T is a knock-off power T.

Florida: Blue background. White state outlined in orange, with a serifed orange F outlined in white and blue (I think).

Michigan: State at the bottom, arched "MICHIGAN" across the top, both in athletic gold outlined in white.

Arkansas and Texas are just the state with the state flag "waving" on the inside.

Alabama: State in red or white, script Alabama across the state (white trimmed in red I think); font seems inspired by the script A logo of the Crimson Tide.

Looks like these logos were slapped on some helmets in front of the studio headquarters' table, FWIW.

I'm not going to say that I see this league lasting...however, I must say that I am impressed by this coverage and presentation--even though I had no clue that the draft was supposed to happen today.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. So far I am unimpressed if they all have the same jersey templates. Very boring. Texas has another stylized Texas logo, state outline with the flag in there.

-Texas showed a white jersey, gold sleeves and cowl with red #s.

-Tenneseee was orange with white numbers

-Arkansas was white and white numbers blue outline.

-Florida has orange jersey, blue white blue shoulder stripes like the Colts

-Michigan has navy blue, a Titan/Crush style shoulder stripe in Gold, not maize, and red strip at cuffs

-Alabma has red jersey, it appears to be silver numbers and black outline

-Alabma has red jersey, it appears to be silver numbers and black outline

I have heard Alabama colors Red Blue and silver

Seems they changed their mind:

large_aafl012708.jpg

aafl2.jpg

Some Auburn guys are already going nuts about this on the AAFLs message board.

Which is why I have been attacking their approach to branding and marketing since they told us about it. You are alienating large chunks of your possible fan base by doing what you are doing.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was surprised to find the 2008 AAFL Draft on CSS today, and even more surprised that it actually didn't look very shabby.

The logos they used for the teams looked like clipart, to say the least. I couldn't get screen caps, but I can give a basic description of them.

Here you go....

alaia2.jpg

arkbf2.jpg

flaxp8.jpg

Logo commentary...

Bama-stupid, but at the same time the best of the bunch. :rolleyes:

Arkansas: Let's see....take image of flapping state flag and crop it with Arkansas' silhouette.

Florida: That sound you hear is FSU/South Florida/Miami/whatever fans laying into the team on the message board. BRILLIANT!!!

Michigan: What? Michigan wouldn't let you have the rights to their maize?

Tennessee: Can't see the wordmark, and Vandy and Memphis fans aren't going to be happy.

Texas: See Arkansas, but substitute "Texas" for "Arkansas"

Overall...

We've finally found a league that has worse branding than the ABA. It probably took them two minutes to throw these all together, and it shows. If these were presented as concepts here, they would be justly obliterated by criticism. Congratulations AAFL...you suck.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I and many others here found it pretty ridiculous that they couldn't bother to have nick names so why are we somewhat surprised that they put out such dull designs. What's wrong with using state birds, animals, reptiles in the logo designs? I bet in 1 day we could rebrand and out publicise this league. It's sad with some talent that the league will have (on par with the world league).

Bottom line? The AAFL doesn't have the proverbial "pot to p**s in" when it comes to the league's overall budget. Therefore, they weren't about to spend the money necessary to hire professional graphic design/branding firms to generate identity packages for these teams. Granted, it is a short-sighted decision, because there is no way this league is going to generate any revenue via merchandise sales with "logos" (I use the term loosely) like these.

I think it's probably got more to do with oversight than budgeting. Granted, they wouldn't want to spend that much money on branding if they had it, but look at the direction they're going in to start with.

We'll be generic, and use the state name, to lure all the fans, players, and teams from this state. We have to be based out of somewhere...so when we have to, we'll just kinda base it off the big school here--hey, can't please everybody, right? They'll understand. I mean hey, we've all got to play together as a team, right? Now, nicknames? Eh, same kinda thing...either someone's gonna get mad, someone's gonna sue, or we'll have crazy mis-mashes like the Crimson Tigers or the GatorBullIcaNoles...so here's a brilliant idea---Let's just not use any names! We'll let the name develop naturally! That way, we can't lose.

My analysis of this? FAIL. As a marketing minor, I feel like the only thing more important than the product most of the time is how you market it, and in some cases the marketing may be the most important. For these boneheads to skip out on proper branding like this, whether for laziness, penny-pinching, or (as I illustrated) ignorance...it's a pretty vicious shot.

I said that the media coverage and presentation looked very sharp, and I still stand by that. The logos, unis (from what I've seen), and overall identities? Big fat no.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Bottom line? The AAFL doesn't have the proverbial "pot to p**s in" when it comes to the league's overall budget. Therefore, they weren't about to spend the money necessary to hire professional graphic design/branding firms to generate identity packages for these teams. Granted, it is a short-sighted decision, because there is no way this league is going to generate any revenue via merchandise sales with "logos" (I use the term loosely) like these.

They are pretty cash strapped, but that's mostly because they have guaranteed the host stadiums $3 million/each and are going to pay each player $50,000 (according to an interview on the radio here in Knoxville). That's some serious cash.

The league is banking on making a bunch from ticket sales and sponsorships. It's a big risk and the feeling around here is it has a 50/50 chance of working out.

Quietly, the NFL is making calls and doing what they can to make this league work. With NFL Europa defunct, the league would like to see a development league that they don't have to underwrite. All I'll to say is that they are VERY interested in seeing this succeed.

Why not just hire us? They can get better logos for next to nothing. ^_^

Because none of us are stupid enough to work for these morons! We're too smart to work for something that will not even get off the ground. Why would I waste my time doing something for another dream of a football league. To everyone who thinks they can start a pro football league, just walk off a cliff and leave us alone!

Because none of us are stupid enough to work for these morons! We're too smart to work for something that will not even get off the ground. Why would I waste my time doing something for another dream of a football league. To everyone who thinks they can start a pro football league, just walk off a cliff and leave us alone!

Well, it's not a dream, it's happening in six weeks, so...

Well, it's not a dream, it's happening in six weeks, so...

They don't have enough time to establish a brand anyways; I guess that's for year 2.

That said...I think somewhere in the sports owners' manual it says don't plan for year 2 until you're sure you'll make it through year 1.

Today, we are all otaku.

I just skimmed through the league and team websites, and Team Michigan's website said the team had yet to choose a nickname. I'm guessing they just used the clipart to satiate the needs of the television market until they decide on a moniker.

Sigs are for sissies.

I just skimmed through the league and team websites, and Team Michigan's website said the team had yet to choose a nickname. I'm guessing they just used the clipart to satiate the needs of the television market until they decide on a moniker.

Yeah...that's one of the highlights of their marketing plan. This is kind of like putting all your campaign eggs in the Florida primary's basket.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived