AAFL Draft

ManCalledAmp

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding the colors, apparently each team in the league has a D-1 FBS sponsor university, hence why Bama went with red instead of Auburn colors.

Because there is enough available talent that matches their stringent criteria to field 120 teams. :rolleyes: Or at least there is enough talent to field 66 teams so each BCS school gets one. :rolleyes:

And sponsor strikes me as being an exaggeration-these are the schools nice enough to let them use the fields (although Texas plays in Houston and Alabama in Birmingham.) :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The AAFL made a mistake on Day One, and they'll make another when they start playing.

The mistake on Day One was announcing that they expected to pay colleges X amount for use of their stadia each year, and Y amount to each player per season (I think it was $100K). Flash-forward: the league had to scrap 2007 as its inaugural year, shooting its credibility in the ass, because they were already bleeding money. The reason? The colleges actually HEARD the AAFL brass blab about how much they'd pay the schools for "use of the hall" - and they intended to hold them to it.

Players meanwhile have since had their expectations lowered considerably from what I understand. $100K a season? That's a pipe dream now. So here we are: season starts in six weeks, and they're just NOW conducting a draft?

Which leads me to the second mistake, one that the USFL and XFL made before it, and one that will once again spell doom: these teams will play their first game of any kind as a regular season game, in front of the biggest audience they're likely to ever have - and the 'product' is going to absolutely suck compared to what it'll be by the end of the season. Why is it that pro football leagues don't bother to have a slate of non-televised pre-season games in their inaugural year? It would make things go so much smoother... but I digress.

I give the AAFL one year. My prediction is its six teams will lose a combined $30-50 million somehow, and that'll be the end of it.

nav-logo.png

Well untelevised scrimmages may already be programmed in to teh schedule ala NFL Europa in Tampa before they all head over. When they didn't start in '07 they could have branded the league. The logo is attrocious IMO. If someone sent them a note, I bet they'd be deating doen the door to get cheap or even free quality logos that the league could market. If indeed the NFL is underwriting it, it'll go more than one year because unlike NBC and the XFL, you have to g ive a new product time to develop to turn a profit. No league just made bank the first year. MLS is an example. All the team's have one owner which is somewhat how NFL Europa probably was and the players aren't flying back and forth overseas to jack up prices. A corporate airline sponsor is really all they need now to cover all their bases. The Baden footballs aren't my favorite but you gotta get what you can get. I haven't looked at rosters yet but the Florida team might have the best QB depth in this league.

Right now I think the biggest roadblock to this league actually going somewhere is that it has no TV outlet. I can understand them being on a tight budget, but no one is going to know about the league unless you get a TV sponsor. Even if its just a 30 minute review show, that'll allow more people to hear about the league.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Bottom line? The AAFL doesn't have the proverbial "pot to p**s in" when it comes to the league's overall budget. Therefore, they weren't about to spend the money necessary to hire professional graphic design/branding firms to generate identity packages for these teams. Granted, it is a short-sighted decision, because there is no way this league is going to generate any revenue via merchandise sales with "logos" (I use the term loosely) like these.

Why not just hire us? They can get better logos for next to nothing. ^_^

Because none of us are stupid enough to work for these morons! We're too smart to work for something that will not even get off the ground. Why would I waste my time doing something for another dream of a football league. To everyone who thinks they can start a pro football league, just walk off a cliff and leave us alone!

Preach it. Instead of wasting our time offering something for the AAFL, we should all go back to designing logos for our fantasy teams, putting NFL logos on NHL uniforms, designing t-shirts for middle school teams, creating imaginary histories for franchises that never existed, coming up with realignment plans for leagues who will never see them...

Well with the TBS studios doing the Draft, they may have figured out a television partner or at least a player that can get them some exposure. Sports are a much eassier way ot program because you don't have to script it. If we're (starved football fams) lucky they can get something hammered out and at least get the title game aired. Hey, get Madden and Summerall back together and you got the Replacements all over minus "Footsteps" Falco.

Bottom line? The AAFL doesn't have the proverbial "pot to p**s in" when it comes to the league's overall budget. Therefore, they weren't about to spend the money necessary to hire professional graphic design/branding firms to generate identity packages for these teams. Granted, it is a short-sighted decision, because there is no way this league is going to generate any revenue via merchandise sales with "logos" (I use the term loosely) like these.

Because none of us are stupid enough to work for these morons! We're too smart to work for something that will not even get off the ground. Why would I waste my time doing something for another dream of a football league. To everyone who thinks they can start a pro football league, just walk off a cliff and leave us alone!

Preach it. Instead of wasting our time offering something for the AAFL, we should all go back to designing logos for our fantasy teams, putting NFL logos on NHL uniforms, designing t-shirts for middle school teams, creating imaginary histories for franchises that never existed, coming up with realignment plans for leagues who will never see them...

But if you won't get paid for either, why not do something you like?

And I'm not sure that the NFL wants to pay too much to have this league as a talent development arm-sees as they have the whole "must be a college graduate to play" thing going for them.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well it would work as most of the guys with degrees didn't jump early because they knew they'd have a ahard time, i.e. Eric crouch. There's tons of reasons why it will or will not work, lame uniforms and names aside. Names are easy to fix and there's nothing to say they don't have them now. State pride might be boosted too by a little more masculine designs of their gear. I know most "I love my state" gear is pretty effeminate looking unless it's the major school stuff.

It seems like not going with actual graphic designs and team names for the upcoming season is an incredibly costly decision. I don't know the whole bidding for service process at that level, but I would imagine $200,000 or so could have netted them a decent graphics package from someone. There would certainly be someone on this board willing to do six logos for that amount.

It's costly because their current logos and designs will sell next to zero merchandise. For fans who want to show of team pride at the game, they can just wear any of the millions of Arkansas, Texas, Michigan or whatever else t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, etc. available. I wonder how they're planning on making money and making this league work. We all know the NFL would be nowhere without merchandise (well, and TV deals) sales. Which is the AAFL going at it without that revenue stream available to them?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

But if you won't get paid for either, why not do something you like?

And I'm not sure that the NFL wants to pay too much to have this league as a talent development arm-sees as they have the whole "must be a college graduate to play" thing going for them.

I'm not saying this community shouldn't do what it likes to do. All I'm saying is there is no indication that designing AAFL logos and uniforms is any more of a "waste of time" than many of the other endeavors that go on around here. In fact, it would seem to fit right in.

Well it would work as most of the guys with degrees didn't jump early because they knew they'd have a ahard time, i.e. Eric crouch. There's tons of reasons why it will or will not work, lame uniforms and names aside. Names are easy to fix and there's nothing to say they don't have them now. State pride might be boosted too by a little more masculine designs of their gear. I know most "I love my state" gear is pretty effeminate looking unless it's the major school stuff.

Eric Crouch's problem is that he wanted to be a NFL quarterback. No amount of training will make him good enough to be a NFL quarterback. He most likely would have been a decent wideout (maybe not in Martz's system, but somewhere)

Unfortunately when various teams told him this he petulantly retired like a spoiled child. :wacko:

Today, we are all otaku.

Yeah. So far I am unimpressed if they all have the same jersey templates. Very boring. Texas has another stylized Texas logo, state outline with the flag in there.

-Texas showed a white jersey, gold sleeves and cowl with red #s.

-Tenneseee was orange with white numbers

-Arkansas was white and white numbers blue outline.

-Florida has orange jersey, blue white blue shoulder stripes like the Colts

-Michigan has navy blue, a Titan/Crush style shoulder stripe in Gold, not maize, and red strip at cuffs

-Alabma has red jersey, it appears to be silver numbers and black outline

The gold was UT Burnt Orange and the red #s were Texas A&M Maroon. If the AAFL tries to account for all of the college colors for the state teams, they should be a bright, chromatic, flashy, florid, gaudy, hued, intense, jazzy, kaleidoscopic, loud, motley, multicolored, picturesque, prismatic, psychedelic, rich, showy, splashy, variegated, vibrant, vivid league.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Are you kidding? Someone like me, I'd rather do it just to see my work on the field for one game and/or the website. I'm egotistical like that. ^_^

philly.png

Are you kidding? Someone like me, I'd rather do it just to see my work on the field for one game and/or the website. I'm egotistical like that. ^_^

I think that was kind of the point. That and that being able to add something like that to a design portfolio would carry some value beyond the ego boost.

Preach on, Brother Broken Record!

Now, please excuse me while I finish work on my MLB-to-NFL recolorization project. Put the Redskins in Nationals colors and I'm done!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think that was kind of the point. That and that being able to add something like that to a design portfolio would carry some value beyond the ego boost.

Preach on, Brother Broken Record!

Now, please excuse me while I finish work on my MLB-to-NFL recolorization project. Put the Redskins in Nationals colors and I'm done!

Don't forget to rename them. I got the perfect name. Team District of Columbia! We can sell ton's of meerchandise and......What, you mean people like to have an identifiable logo, W, Dor C that isn't just clip art or monkey poo thrown on a wall? Who knew. Somone get me Tagliabue on the phone. Goodell? Aw)(&**$#$!

Archived