AAFL Draft

ManCalledAmp

yeah, who went #1?

According to wikipedia, Zarah Yisrael.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
indeed the NFL is underwriting it, it'll go more than one year because unlike NBC and the XFL, you have to g ive a new product time to develop to turn a profit. No league just made bank the first year. MLS is an example. All the team's have one owner which is somewhat how NFL Europa probably was.

Actually, MLS has indiviual owners, ssome of whom own multiple teams but the league controls the player contracts. NFL Europa worked similarly in that individual GM's rant eh teams and the NFL stocked them. On to the league that will soon be the ex-AAFL. With New Balance supplying the uniforms they went with a new guy in place of established uniform suppliers. That could be good or bad, some uniforms they have are pretty decent. Others look rushed and ugly. Baden instead of Rawlings, Spalding or Wilson for footballs just screams cheap. Whose suppling helmets, Giro?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

For those of you predicting outright failure, I'll say this again. The NFL is VERY interested in seeing this thing make it.

What are your sources for this 'interest?' Not that I doubt it, I've just not heard of anyone within the league even commenting on the AAFL, let alone being supportive of it.

nav-logo.png

For those of you predicting outright failure, I'll say this again. The NFL is VERY interested in seeing this thing make it.

They're also VERY interested, financially, in the AFL and NFL Europe. You've seen how well that's turned out lately.

Let's be honest-these teams are raiding af2 level talent for their draft; not exactly something you'd expect a top development league to do.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What are your sources for this 'interest?' Not that I doubt it, I've just not heard of anyone within the league even commenting on the AAFL, let alone being supportive of it.

The NFL is, officially, staying out of it.

That said, the league has the money in hand to pay the facilities $3 million/each and to pay entire rosters of players $40-50k each.

According to someone involved in the process here in Knoxville, it's no coincidence that the league failed to get off the ground last year, but that investors materialzed the year after the NFL discontinued their support for NFL-Europa.

I'm also hearing they have a weekly TV deal worked out with Comcast and their regional networks, but that they're holding out on announcing something because they're still in negogations with additional outlets, including BigTen Network.

We'll see how this turns out. I'm not exactly sold on it yet, but I'm not ready to bury it either.

They're also VERY interested, financially, in the AFL and NFL Europe. You've seen how well that's turned out lately.

Let's be honest-these teams are raiding af2 level talent for their draft; not exactly something you'd expect a top development league to do.

It isn't going to be a top-level development league this year. The key, from what I'm hearing, is year two, when guys that were cut in training camps this coming fall are looking for a place to play.

The thing to remember is, the draft was NOT the primary means of filling rosters, there were guys that were "protected" by teams based on where they went to school or are from. There are more than a few guys that were late cuts from NFL rosters this season that were "protected" by teams and not drafted.

That said, the league has the money in hand to pay the facilities $3 million/each and to pay entire rosters of players $40-50k each.

According to someone involved in the process here in Knoxville, it's no coincidence that the league failed to get off the ground last year, but that investors materialzed the year after the NFL discontinued their support for NFL-Europa.

I'm also hearing they have a weekly TV deal worked out with Comcast and their regional networks, but that they're holding out on announcing something because they're still in negogations with additional outlets, including BigTen Network.

We'll see how this turns out. I'm not exactly sold on it yet, but I'm not ready to bury it either.

So they have the money to pay out for one season. Deep-pocketed embiciles who think they're going to be the next Lamar Hunt are a dime a dozen. Just ask Joe Newman.

I'm not predicting outright failure. I think it'll last a season. Attendance will dictate if it goes beyond that - if it draws 25,000 a game on average, then yeah, maybe there's a Year Two. If it doesn't however, it'll be one and done.

nav-logo.png

But you don't want to indicate that when the AAFL canceled it's inaugural '07 season in the fall of 2006 they already knew NFLE would fold, do you?

I'm sorry, but if you're suggesting that at least some of the AAFL's operating capital is unofficially being supplied by NFL sources, I must say that I'm beyond skeptical.

One of the reasons that the NFL shifted from operating the World League of American Football/NFL Europe in both North American and European markets to a solely-European operation is that the league was never a profitable endeavor in the U.S., not even in its most successful American markets. Frankly, there's no reason to believe that the AAFL's model strikes NFL executives as being any more likely to succeed. That being the case, why would NFL execs be inclined to even partially fund such an endeavor, particularly when they wouldn't have direct control over how the league is operated?

Which brings up another issue discussed in this thread: Does it strike you as likely that arguably the best-marketed and most-merchandised pro sports leagues on the face of the planet would surreptitiously funnel capital into a league like the AAFL, only to stand by and watch as the AAFL badly botched the branding of its member franchises? NFL executives are accutely aware of the importance of brand development and management, particularly when it comes to realizing how successfully developing and managing said brands impacts the bottom-line. There is no way that NFL executives would provide even partial financing to the AAFL while allowing the latter entity to trot-out the uninspired team identity packages we've seen to date. At the very least, design and branding professionals from NFL Properties would have provided anonymous aid in creating professional-calibre team identities.

Might NFL execs see the AAFL as a means by which players of marginal talent can be provided with the opportunity to develop their skills until such time as they prove themselves more worthy of a "look" from NFL talent evaluators? Certainly. Does that mean that the NFL is ready to fund such an endeavor - even partially and surreptitiously? Absolutely not. The latter strikes me as nothing more than wishful thinking on the part of AAFL executives, employees and local partners.

Well it would work as most of the guys with degrees didn't jump early because they knew they'd have a ahard time, i.e. Eric crouch. There's tons of reasons why it will or will not work, lame uniforms and names aside. Names are easy to fix and there's nothing to say they don't have them now. State pride might be boosted too by a little more masculine designs of their gear. I know most "I love my state" gear is pretty effeminate looking unless it's the major school stuff.

Eric Crouch's problem is that he wanted to be a NFL quarterback. No amount of training will make him good enough to be a NFL quarterback. He most likely would have been a decent wideout (maybe not in Martz's system, but somewhere)

Unfortunately when various teams told him this he petulantly retired like a spoiled child. :wacko:

... heck, no amount of training helped him being a good CFL quarterback :P

I saw, I came, I left.

That's for officiating support, Q.

Partnerships are partnerships. You posted earlier regarding a lack of official acknowledgment of support. Granted, it's not the type of money being handed over to the CFL, but it is support and definitely more than they have to.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Partnerships are partnerships. You posted earlier regarding a lack of official acknowledgment of support. Granted, it's not the type of money being handed over to the CFL, but it is support and definitely more than they have to.

So? They also had an officiating partnership with the NIFL for one year. (and then spent the next 2-3 trying to get the NIFL to remove the NFL logo from their website.)

Means nothing.

Today, we are all otaku.

So? They also had an officiating partnership with the NIFL for one year. (and then spent the next 2-3 trying to get the NIFL to remove the NFL logo from their website.)

Means nothing.

Except they obviously supported them in some fashion, openly or not.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived