AAFL Draft

ManCalledAmp

That's for officiating support, Q.

Partnerships are partnerships. You posted earlier regarding a lack of official acknowledgment of support. Granted, it's not the type of money being handed over to the CFL, but it is support and definitely more than they have to.

So? They also had an officiating partnership with the NIFL for one year. (and then spent the next 2-3 trying to get the NIFL to remove the NFL logo from their website.)

Means nothing.

Except they obviously supported them in some fashion, openly or not.

Considering how the NFL is willing to do that for a league like the NIFL, if that is the only apparent support they are giving the AAFL.....well it looks like the NFL considers those leagues to be on the same level business wise. Draw your own conclusions...

Also-apparently the af2 is threatening to issue a year's suspension to anyone who signs with an AAFL team. :blink:

Mainly because the af2 has been hit hard by this league.

As a more practical matter, raiding the af2 for talent doesn't bode well-you aren't going to get 20,000 people to pay to see talent of that level.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is hard to imagine we are to the point where there would be a dearth of talent at that level. I guess player salaries will have to go up to compete or teams will have to fold.

<NFL> Dance puppets, dance! </NFL> :D

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

That's for officiating support, Q.

Partnerships are partnerships. You posted earlier regarding a lack of official acknowledgment of support. Granted, it's not the type of money being handed over to the CFL, but it is support and definitely more than they have to.

So? They also had an officiating partnership with the NIFL for one year. (and then spent the next 2-3 trying to get the NIFL to remove the NFL logo from their website.)

Means nothing.

Precisely; in fact I'll bet money isn't even changing hands. The AAFL will need officials. The NFL has potential officials it'd like to evaluate for future jobs. So the NFL hooks up officials with the AAFL, then evaluates them as they officiate the games. No big deal there at all.

nav-logo.png

Two problems with this league. 1) No merchandising. You want a game worn Team Texas jersey? That's a laugh. 2) No teams in major cities. I can see it now. Mets v. Yankees in the spring. Santana on the mound for the Mets. One fan says to another "I have an extra ticket for the game, want to go?" Other fan "Nah. I want to see Team Texas beat Team Arkansas today". Could anyone care less? Don't forget there were other planned franchises - Indiana for example (they were supposed to play at Purdue).

The NFL "wants in" because 1) this is not costing them a dime as NFL Europe was and 2) Because the NFL is "In favor of any league that grows the sport", i.e. their loan and support of the CFL. Then again, the UFL, which was supposed to have franchises in place by now, has named one (1) team - Orlando.

Two problems with this league. 1) No merchandising. You want a game worn Team Texas jersey? That's a laugh. 2) No teams in major cities. I can see it now. Mets v. Yankees in the spring. Santana on the mound for the Mets. One fan says to another "I have an extra ticket for the game, want to go?" Other fan "Nah. I want to see Team Texas beat Team Arkansas today". Could anyone care less? Don't forget there were other planned franchises - Indiana for example (they were supposed to play at Purdue).

The NFL "wants in" because 1) this is not costing them a dime as NFL Europe was and 2) Because the NFL is "In favor of any league that grows the sport", i.e. their loan and support of the CFL. Then again, the UFL, which was supposed to have franchises in place by now, has named one (1) team - Orlando.

IIRC Team Texas will be playing in the Houston area.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

IIRC Team Texas will be playing in the Houston area.

You're right. Team Texas will play at Rice Stadium in Houston.

newsig.jpg

Speaking of the UFL, check out the UFL name the team thread.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Speaking of the UFL, check out the UFL name the team thread.

Please....just let that thread die.

Today, we are all otaku.

According to what I've heard, they have money in hand to complete this season from investors. We'll see.

I'd like to see it pan out, if for no other reason than to feed my incessant football addiction.

Thanks for the info, by the way.

Sigs are for sissies.

How well capitalized is this league again?

Today, we are all otaku.

interesting stuff:

from an interview with league president and CEO, Marcus Katz

?We just decided that when the team is playing in the Swamp, and playing in blue and orange, and the Florida band is there, and everyone is there in blue and orange ? we don?t need a nickname,? he says. ?Does it really matter what the nickname is??

it will matter to the University of Florida if the team/league is selling merchandise that is similar to their trademarked merchandise or if fans start calling Team Florida the Gators...

The University of Florida and University of Texas in particular have both historically been VERY aggressive pursuing trademark infringements - I wouldn't be shocked to see more of the same with this league, especially if the league starts to turn a profit with merchandise that can easily be mistaken with the host university trademarked products...the idea of aligning so closely with an established university brand identity could be VERY costly to this league...I hope they're prepared for this

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived