AAFL Draft

ManCalledAmp

the irony is that the ceo seems to be a pretty astute business man, otherwise...he owns two of largest student loan companies in the U.S. - that's a pretty lucrative business

according to the aafl website: "The League?s marketing partner is Octagon, the world?s largest sports marketing firm." - maybe they know something we don't?

jldesigns404eo.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's say they have the team from Texas wear orange and white and call themselves the Texas Steers. The logo would be a cartoon steer wearing a cowboy hat or something. Would the university have a legitimate suit against them? I mean, if they don't use the exact same colors, nickname or logo, could they get away with it?

Let's say they have the team from Texas wear orange and white and call themselves the Texas Steers. The logo would be a cartoon steer wearing a cowboy hat or something. Would the university have a legitimate suit against them? I mean, if they don't use the exact same colors, nickname or logo, could they get away with it?

but the teams will not have a nickname, so it will be called "team texas", which may be shortened to "texas", which could easily be confused with the university of texas, especially if the colors are burnt orange and white

team florida has a large "f" in blue and orange...i imagine some might think a shirt with that "logo" might looks a lot like the university of florida, and could cause brand confusion

the font used for "team tennessee" is very similar to the university of tennessee's font...and guess what...big capital "T" in orange...think anyone might confuse that for the host university?

if they had team nicknames, they could separate themselves from the host university enough that the colors alone would not constitute trademark infringement

jldesigns404eo.png

I know they aren't going to have team nicknames, but I was just speculating because I haven't studied trademark law. I checked out the Team Florida web page and it's very obvious that they're going to present themselves as the professional version of the Florida Gators. If they were to give the team a nickname that is obviously intended to remind people of the Gators (the Swampers, or something), what could happen to them?

I think someone should make uniform concepts of each of the 6 AAFL teams to put in the "Concepts" board.

That sounds like the perfect project for you, Junior.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 3 weeks later...
Bottom line? The AAFL doesn't have the proverbial "pot to p**s in" when it comes to the league's overall budget. Therefore, they weren't about to spend the money necessary to hire professional graphic design/branding firms to generate identity packages for these teams. Granted, it is a short-sighted decision, because there is no way this league is going to generate any revenue via merchandise sales with "logos" (I use the term loosely) like these.

Why not just hire us? They can get better logos for next to nothing. ^_^

Because none of us are stupid enough to work for these morons! We're too smart to work for something that will not even get off the ground. Why would I waste my time doing something for another dream of a football league. To everyone who thinks they can start a pro football league, just walk off a cliff and leave us alone!

Well, it's not a dream, it's happening in six weeks, so...

They don't have enough time to establish a brand anyways; I guess that's for year 2.

That said...I think somewhere in the sports owners' manual it says don't plan for year 2 until you're sure you'll make it through year 1.

Do I get a cookie?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

From the AAFL's web site:

ALL AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE® LOOKING FOR

NEW MAJORITY OWNER TO SALVAGE '08 SEASON

In an attempt to secure kickoff of its inaugural season as well as its long-term future and success, the All American Football League® has begun discussions to explore multiple financing options.

Since inception, the League's finances have been indirectly tied to the $300 billion federally guaranteed student loan asset backed securities market. In August, the sub prime mortgage crisis began spreading into other sectors such as municipal bonds and federally guaranteed student loans. The situation, which was considered to be temporary at the time, has continued to worsen.

Despite the fact that the Federal Reserve has repeatedly lowered interest rates during this financial crisis, their efforts have not yet restored liquidity in many asset backed markets, including municipal bonds and student loans.

The League held its inaugural draft in January, and the team rosters and staffs are all in place. All teams are scheduled to open training camp Wednesday if liquidity can be immediately restored.

Every effort is being made to insure that the '08 season will be played as planned, but this depends upon a locating new majority owner with the needed liquidity, which in turn depends upon the League being able to finalize a TV deal. Otherwise, the inaugural season will be postponed to '09.

DITW - Dead In The Water.

nav-logo.png

Damn you, subprime mortgage crisis!!!!! Damn you!!!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

From the AAFL web site today...

The All American Football League® continues to progress toward its 2008 inaugural season. The League?s CEO, Marcus Katz, stated that discussions continue with several prospective investors and that negotiations for broadcast coverage of AAFL games continue to move forward. The start of preseason training camps will be delayed briefly during this process, with the intent that the League?s games will kick off on April 12, 2008.

nav-logo.png

From the AAFL web site today...
The All American Football League® continues to progress toward its 2008 inaugural season. The League?s CEO, Marcus Katz, stated that discussions continue with several prospective investors and that negotiations for broadcast coverage of AAFL games continue to move forward. The start of preseason training camps will be delayed briefly during this process, with the intent that the League?s games will kick off on April 12, 2008.

A month to go, no broadcast outlet, and no money behind it anymore. Yeah, that kickoff's gonna happen. And Carla Bruni's gonna stop by apartment this evening and ride me like a carnival attraction.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Doubt the league will ever play any games. Why don't they just say "We don't have any money, and we're not going to ever start training camps?"

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

All American Football League Scraps Inaugural Season

Posted: March 13, 2008 09:43 PM

ATLANTA (AP) -- The new All American Football League has scrapped plans for its 2008 inaugural season, which was to have included a team in Knoxville.

The league will continue to search for financial backing for 2009.

Kennan Davis, the AAFL's vice president of league operations, said the league's sponsors have commitments to remain with the league in 2009.

The league's chief executive officer, Marcus Katz, said economic conditions forced the decision to scrap plans for this year.

The league planned to open training camps for its six teams this week. Games were scheduled to begin April 12.

The league held its inaugural draft in January for six teams: Detroit; Little Rock; Gainesville, Florida; Birmingham; Knoxville, and Houston.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

So, did anyone in our pool have the 13th?

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

And from the AAFL site...

ALL AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE® POSTPONES INAUGURAL SEASON UNTIL 2009

March 13, 2008

ATLANTA, GA -- The All American Football League® (AAFL) announced today the postponement of its inaugural season until 2009. The League will continue to build upon the foundation that has been established, and will continue to discuss opportunities with potential investors.

AAFL sponsors have committed to remain on board for the 2009 season. Currently, the League has corporate partnerships with New Balance, Baden Sports and Rogers Athletic. Also still in place for the 2009 season are a national radio partnership with Touchdown Radio & SportsDay Productions, and an internet broadcast partnership with PlayOn! Sports, a division of Turner Broadcasting.

"We are so very fortunate to have built partnerships with companies who are partners in the truest sense of the word," said Keenan Davis, AAFL VP of League Operations and COO. "We sincerely appreciate their support as we progress toward our new goal of a 2009 inaugural season."

All fans who have purchased tickets to 2008 AAFL games will receive a full refund. Credit cards will be credited and any checks received will be returned.

Additional details regarding the AAFL's postponement are forthcoming.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived