CONCACAF Champions League logo

roxfan00

The new competition starting up this year.

4084.jpg

NEW YORK -- CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football) announced Monday the official launch of the new continental club championship, the CONCACAF Champions League which will commence in August 2008. The CONCACAF Champions League will replace the Champions' Cup which will cease to exist after the 2008 edition.

The CONCACAF Champions League will see a Confederation record number of 24 teams from all sectors of the CONCACAF region participating. The preliminary round begins in August 2008 with the first CONCACAF Champions League winner to be crowned in late April 2009.

The CONCACAF Champions League will feature four teams from Mexico and USA; three Caribbean sides; two clubs each from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama; and one representative coming from Canada, Belize, and Nicaragua.

Eight clubs (two Mexican, two USA, one each from Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador) will be seeded and progress directly to the first round of the CONCACAF Champions League, while the Caribbean slots have been increased to three teams for this event.

The remaining 16 teams will be paired in eight home-and-away preliminary match-ups taking place from 26-28 August and 2-4 September.

The preliminary round winners will join the other eight seeded teams in the group stage that consists of four groups of four. All the teams in each group will play each other in a round-robin system during six match dates (three home games, three away games) from 16 September - 30 October.

The top two clubs from each group will advance to the knock out phase playing home-and-away elimination. The quarterfinals commence in February 2009; semifinals begin in March; and the Finals will take place in late April.

The CONCACAF Champions League winner will qualify as the CONCACAF's representative to the 2009 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup.

MLS

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

nobody is going to watch it anyways. its just a bootleg uefa league.

I'm going to watch it. By UEFA league I'm assuming you're talking about the Champions League. And if this tourney is just a bootleg UEFA CL, then what do you call the Asian, African, South American, and Oceanian equivalents? Oh, yeah, those are bootleg UEFA CLs too. :rolleyes:

But speaking of bootleg, the logo itself doesn't look too imaginative. It reminds me of the UEFA Cup logo...and is the trophy a rip-off of the MLS Cup? Yikes.

I'm excited for it nevertheless. It definitely beats the current format of the current Champions' Cup.

I think anything that brings more oppurtunities for US soccer clubs should be embraced. Granted Columbus probably won't be involved any time soon. I'm glad to see CONCACAF taking the next step in increasing it's exposure.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

nobody is going to watch it anyways. its just a bootleg uefa league.

I'm going to watch it. By UEFA league I'm assuming you're talking about the Champions League. And if this tourney is just a bootleg UEFA CL, then what do you call the Asian, African, South American, and Oceanian equivalents? Oh, yeah, those are bootleg UEFA CLs too. :rolleyes:

But speaking of bootleg, the logo itself doesn't look too imaginative. It reminds me of the UEFA Cup logo...and is the trophy a rip-off of the MLS Cup? Yikes.

I'm excited for it nevertheless. It definitely beats the current format of the current Champions' Cup.

Actually Copa Libertadores is older then UEFA Cup or UEFA Champions League so I guess they are bootleg Copa Libertadores'

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Soccer may nevery be fully embraced, but there is a large enough following in the US to make it viable. Combined with the Latin American teams and fan bases, I can definately see this being entertaining. There is no reason soccer can't at least supplant hockey as 4th in American sports popularity.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Thank you, CONCACAF, for finally creating a Champions League. Not a horrible logo, though it has a bit of a UEFA Cup feel to it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Soccer may nevery be fully embraced, but there is a large enough following in the US to make it viable. Combined with the Latin American teams and fan bases, I can definately see this being entertaining. There is no reason soccer can't at least supplant hockey as 4th in American sports popularity.

If the people running MLS were smart, they would have taken advantage of the lockout.

Even now, hockey's faltering and ready to be toppled. But can they use it? Haven't seen any sign yet.

If the people running MLS were smart, they would have taken advantage of the lockout.

Even now, hockey's faltering and ready to be toppled. But can they use it? Haven't seen any sign yet.

I always hear people saying if the people running MLS were smart. I actually think they are. They're pushing teams to build soccer stadiums, increasing the number of different owners, expanding the league to carefully selected markets, and they are bringing in big name players. Last season was MLS's most successful season, and there's no reason why this season will not be even more successful especially now with a CONCACAF champions league.

Back to the topic of the logo. It's nothing earth shattering, but it's a good professional looking logo. I like it.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived