Portland Beavers Unveil New Logos, Uniforms

BallWonk

close up of hats:

home:

beavshome.jpg

Where the hell does the tail come from in this shot, anyway? Is there another beaver in front of him, shaking its tail at him? His own tail would be behind him, or at a much different angle, I think. Doesn't make any sense.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not every team in the northwest can be affiliated with the mariners

we have a nw league team and everyone always says "why cant we be a mariners affiliate"

well because there are 8 teams in the nwl and only one gets to be with seattle and thats the closest one

same with the pcl, tacoma is closer than portland

i think affiliations are 2 year agreements

Can't say I'm much of a Baseball uni fan in general, so I'll spare my comments on the overall set.

As for the Logo, I'm diggin' it.

Nice colour scheme, and I really like how the bat is on under the letters in one spot, and over it in the other one, it gives it depth...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Well I don't even like the Mariners. I just think it's funny how all the Beavers' fans like Seattle and the team is trying to market San Diego gear to them.

A while back there were rumors of Seattle and San Diego swapping AAA affiliates and then San Diego moving Tacoma to Reno. One of the reasons mentioned was the large fanbase that Seattle had in the Rose City. I don't believe that transaction is being discussed anymore, though.

we have a nw league team and everyone always says "why cant we be a mariners affiliate"

well because there are 8 teams in the nwl and only one gets to be with seattle and thats the closest one

It depends on what type of deal the MLB club and minor league club want to hash out. I know here with the Brevard County Manatees, the Brewers signed a 4 year deal that goes thru the 2010 season.

I wonder how long Red and Black have been traditional sporting colours in Portland? Did the old PCL team really wear blue and white?

Navy and red have long been Beavers colors:

2244490402_62c04ef2c7_o.jpg

They kept those colors when they were a Twins farm club:

9d_1_b.JPG

They might have changed to maroon when they were a Phillies affiliate, but looks like navy and red were the standard colors until the team moved to Salt Lake in 1993.

It depends on what type of deal the MLB club and minor league club want to hash out. I know here with the Brevard County Manatees, the Brewers signed a 4 year deal that goes thru the 2010 season.

They can either sign a 2-year or 4-year affiliation agreement. There are a few clubs, like us (the Springfield Cardinals) who are actually owned by their parent club, so I don't think/know if they actually have to sign any affiliation contracts or not.

Unless the team in question is in a minor city in its parent club's region, I don't really like it when minor league affiliates try to look like their major league clubs. Pawtucket Red Sox, Springfield Cardinals, Omaha Royals.... Those all make sense to me. But if there's a minor league club in a major city that isn't in its parent club's sphere of influence, it seems dumb to try to force it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update, I got my white alternate cap this morning. Pleasantly surprised to find that it's one of the new polyester 59fiftys - for some reason I thought the minors were still using the old wool ones. The MiLB logo on the back uses Midnight Navy (on the right) and Pacific Blue (left).

No black threads in the crown, I guess because they would be visible through the white fabric, so I'm going to have to be careful with removing the backing. Should be interesting.

And damn, do I hate the minors for letting New Era put their logo on the side. Were this dark fabric, I'd be tempted to take a seamripper to it. Tend to think that the white will show all the stitching holes, unfortunately.

Still no word for the clubhouse shop on when the jerseys will be available.

And finally, here's the poll currently running on the Beavers' homepage:

What is your favorite part about the Beavers' new look?

3%: Gray road uniforms

17%: New primary logo

31%: Sticking with tradition

7%: Off-white home uniforms

20%: Vintage Sunday uniforms

21%: The new colors

• 2 months later...
Logo creep aside, that's one beautiful uniform.

Putting aside my dislike of the way the cap logo is handled, the overall effect of this uniform is just extraordinarily good. In all of baseball, I can only think of a handful of baseball uniforms I would rate higher than this one in overall look-and-feel. Dodgers. Maroon-era Phillies. Maybe the Braves and Giants. These would easily make my MLB top-five list if the Beavers played one step up the ladder. Possibly top-three.

Question: What would be the best triple-A uniform matchup? I'm thinking possibly Toledo at Portland.

20082614447.png

I didn't want to bump this thread, but now that we've seen them in action, I love them even more.

2387009560_d48e9c41d7_o.jpg

Logo creep aside, that's one beautiful uniform.

Aside from maybe toning down the hat logo (should be just that beautiful "P", maybe the one with the tail marks as seen on the road script), I believe you have here what should be the envy of all professional baseball teams, both Minor AND Major League.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates this design.

Aside from maybe toning down the hat logo (should be just that beautiful "P", maybe the one with the tail marks as seen on the road script), I believe you have here what should be the envy of all professional baseball teams, both Minor AND Major League.

Agreed:

2468364350_869b0909d1_o.jpg

Come on. How perfect is that?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates this design.

Fixed:

2468364350_869b0909d1_o.jpg

Come on. How perfect is that?

Muy Perfecto!

Archived