Santana to Mets?

zig

I hope this is true

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/20...s-santana_N.htm

The New York Mets have agreed to a trade for two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, giving up four prospects to acquire the left-handed ace of the Minnesota Twins, according to two high-ranking Twins officials with knowledge of the talks and a person close to Santana.

The deal is pending the Mets and Santana reaching agreement on a six- or seven-year contract extension and that Santana passes a physical; they have been granted a 48 to-72-hour window to do so. Santana has a no-trade clause that he will waive if agreement is reached on a contract extension.

The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

The deal would give the Mets the much-needed ace at the front of their rotation. Santana won the American League Cy Young Award in 2004 and 2006 and is 93-44 lifetime. He went 15-13 with a 3.33 ERA for the Twins last season. Santana has struck out at least 235 batters each of the past four seasons.

While the deal drains much of the talent out of the Mets' farm system, they did manage to hold on to top prospect Fernando Martinez, an outfielder. Instead, they headed the package with Gomez, who turned 22 in December and spent 58 games with the Mets last year.

Gomez is what scouts like to call a five-tool player, a combination of offensive ability that includes power and speed as well as an above-average defensive game and a strong arm. He has worked to cut down a strikeout rate that was high during the early part of a minor league career that began in 2004 after the Mets signed him out of the Dominican Republic. He made his major league debut last May and hit .232.

Humber, 25, is the Mets' 2004 first-round pick who has made five major league appearances, including one start, over the past two seasons. He won 11 games at Class AAA last season, his first full year after having Tommy John surgery in 2005.

Santana would give the Mets the best rotation in the NL East after they missed out on the division title by one game thanks to a historic September collapse. He'd likely be joined by Pedro Martinez, John Maine, Oliver Perez and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez.

The Twins, meanwhile, would see yet another young star they produced leave the organization. Their Gold Glove outfielder, Torii Hunter, left for the Los Angeles Angels this offseason. Gomez would be a candidate to replace him in center field.

Thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Sox fan, I'm thrilled. I never wanted to give up the prospects the Twins wanted (Buchholz, Ellsbury, etc), and he doesn't go anywhere else in the division, specifically the Bronx. He's out of the American League, and the only way the Sox can see him is in the World Series. I like it.

I'm the same way, just flip the teams around. I didn't want him going to Boston, and I especially didn't want the Yankees to sell their future to get him. I'll gladly take him pitching for the crosstown rivals over either of those two scenarios.

Lets just hope this goes through before Hank does something stupid...

High price to pay for Santana... but I think I would've pulled the trigger to. Win-now mode, the division is wide open, the NL itself has no real team-to-beat, so I think this move certainly pays off. If nothing else, they've finally got a real ace of the staff who you can hand the ball to in a situation like Glavine found himself in last season... only you could actually feel confidant with Santana out there.

Still, it's tough to give up guys like Gomez and Humber, in one package. If these guys all pan out, the Twins could really be scary in the not-too-distant future.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Well Tank...what say ye now?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oy. Santana pitching for a division rival? The Braves better get something big before Spring training starts.

Word. I mean, we got Glavine in the offseason, but they obviously just one-upped us here. We HAVE to make a move between now and Spring Training, because Santana's now in the NL East...not good at all.

The Mets MUST make this deal, last year's collapse is the type that can ruin a franchise for decades. They need to erase it and erase fast and the only way you can erase it is the World Series NOW. Mets prospects in the past have been very overrated. Carlos Gomez looks decent but not great, I mean if he struggles with the Mets and there is no room for him who will they get next year, Brian Schnieder and Ryan Church? They made the mistake of overrating Milledge, and got nuttin for him.

This is a Win Now team and this move now makes that possible.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm calling it, Carlos Gomez = 2011 MLB MVP. What I saw from him was amazing in a limited time span.

I have to agree with Unwind on this one, I'm kind of glad we didn't get him. But that would be funny, anothe Minny-Boston superstar...

I'd hardly call Manny Fernandez a superstar.

I'm calling it, Carlos Gomez = 2011 MLB MVP. What I saw from him was amazing in a limited time span.

I have to agree with Unwind on this one, I'm kind of glad we didn't get him. But that would be funny, anothe Minny-Boston superstar...

I'd hardly call Manny Fernandez a superstar.

Are you kidding? Best goalie EVAR! :P

I don't think this is a great deal for the Twins at all. The Mets farm system really isn't that good. I don't think Gomez will be a superstar, he'll be solid though. Humber is pretty overrated from what I've read. What I find worse is that deal is pending a contract extension for Santana. If there was no extension pending, it'd probably be a solid deal for the Twins, at least they got something before Santana hit free agency. But 6 more years of Santana brings up his value significantly. The Twins should have demanded either Fernando Martinez or Mike Pelfrey. I think the Mets got the better deal on this one.

Good move for the Mets. I'd hate to be playing in the NL East right now, so this is one of the good things of the Pirates playing in the Central.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

For Minnesota, We will find out if this is a good deal in a few years. Time will only tell. A few of you Mets fans don't seem to understand just how good Santana is. He is amazing. Dominant, even on a night where he has a bad game. Overall I think we should have gone with the yankees deal though.

256dy87.jpg

Archived