Santana to Mets?

zig

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can like the prospects you get in a trade like this when Cardinal fans are semi-seriously discussing if they could have matched the offer...without Rasmus....

But the thing that sucks about it from the Mets standpoint is you are double paying for the guy. The only way you are going to get him is to offer him a near record contract, if not record contract.

I think if I were a fan of either of these teams there would be plenty of things to feel uneasy about. Giving up 4 good prospects and having to shell out huge money for a pitcher (how often does that really work out long term?) or only getting 4 good, not great, prospects for the best pitcher in the league for the last couple years.

But on the other hand, the Mets have instantly become the favorites in the NL. They were already up there, but this for sure puts them over the top. Santana has got to be worth between 5-10 wins on the season, and then having him going in the postseason is incredible.

And if you're the Twins, well at least you got 4 prospects now, instead of 2 draft picks at the end of the season.

I think its fans in the AL East and Central that are celebrating tonight.

Santana is still in his prime

Hes left handed

He dominated the hitters league how will he do in the lighter hitting NL

The Metrodome is a hitter's park Shea is a pitchers park and so will CitiField

The Mets are a win now team that may just need one solid starter to go over the top

The Mets need to erase the memories of last year

Humber has a losing record in the minors and has already undergone arm surgery

The Mets have had players like Carlos Gomez not pan out before, and the list is long.

Kevin Mulvey and Guerevera are unkowns they can be good or they can fizzle too.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I hate this. Why couldn't they just pony up the 5 year extension. If they Twins start losing big time, they will probably lose more money over that time, than what it would have cost to keep Santana here.

Oh well, you think I would be used to it by now, but I never will.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I hate this. Why couldn't they just pony up the 5 year extension. If they Twins start losing big time, they will probably lose more money over that time, than what it would have cost to keep Santana here.

More or less sting than losing Garnett? Moss?

Only the Mets could find a way not to get this deal to go through.

Watch them not be able to get a contract in the next 48-72 hours.

If the Mets fail to finish this deal...I'm putting Tank on immediate suicide watch. He somehow made it through The Great Collapse of 2007, idk if he'll make it if the Mets got his hopes up, just to fudge this up. :P

Garnett>Moss>Santana.

From a local perspective.

Twins could be something in about 3-4 years. Very, Very young team that has alot of talent. Once they step into the new ballpark they will be very exciting to watch. Delmon Young, Francisco Liriano, Morneau, Mauer I like that to start from.

More or less sting than losing Garnett? Moss?

More, because both Garnett and Moss DIDN'T want out, and DIDN"T FORCE a trade, which is what Santana did aparently, forcing Bill Smith,the GM, to make this subpar deal.

I wasn't happy to see Garnett go, but we did him a favor. Moss being traded was the work of the dirty Red McCombs on his way out.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Only the Mets could find a way not to get this deal to go through.

Watch them not be able to get a contract in the next 48-72 hours.

If the Mets fail to finish this deal...I'm putting Tank on immediate suicide watch. He somehow made it through The Great Collapse of 2007, idk if he'll make it if the Mets got his hopes up, just to fudge this up. :P

They better pull the trigger, they need this and it will be like collapsing again.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Ummmm......somebody should check on Tank.

EDIT-sees as the deadline passed and all.

2nd EDIT-and they got a 2 hour extension.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Done deal!!!

Mets agree to terms with Santana

Club inks ace southpaw to lucrative contract extension

By Marty Noble / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- An offseason that had been all about who wasn't on the Mets' roster has executed an about-face and now is distinctive because of who almost certainly will be. Unless Johan Santana flunks a physical this weekend, he soon will become the starting pitcher the Mets desperately had needed, as well as the wealthiest pitcher in the game.

A contract that will secure the latter distinction is in place. The Mets and Santana's representatives struck a deal Friday more than an hour after the original 5 p.m. ET deadline imposed by the league office Tuesday, when the Mets and Twins agreed to an exchange of players that, when completed, will recast projections for the 2008 National League East race and restore the Mets' image as a genuine contender.

Neither the value not the length of the contract is known, but executives in the game had said since early Friday afternoon that they expected Santana to have a contract through 2014 worth $139 million. That figure would reflect annual salaries averaging about $22 million and a signing bonus of about $7 million that would increase the 2008 earnings of the two-time American League Cy Young Award winner to about $20.25 million. The average annual value of the deal would be about $19,587,000.

The contractual agreement leaves the physical examination as the final hurdle before the Mets can link the Super Bowl and Super Tuesday with the addition of a superlative athlete who they hope will lead them in the World Series.

Santana was expected to have his physical this weekend or early next week at the latest.

The contract exceeds the value of the seven-year contract Barry Zito signed with the Giants 13 months ago and the $119 million the Mets agreed to pay Carlos Beltran from 2005-11.

Ummmm......somebody should check on Tank.

EDIT-sees as the deadline passed and all.

2nd EDIT-and they got a 2 hour extension.

I was getting real nervous there for a while but this is what was needed to rebound from September.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

There was no chance in hell the Mets were NOT going to get a deal done. However, Santana had ALL the leverage and did a great job in snagging the richest contract for a pitcher in MLB history.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yeah but I was still nervous the Mets would some how screw it up, they had no choice but to give him what he wanted the anger of the fans would have been something to behold.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Archived