Made-up football league - states, not cities

chestnutz

First off, I'm a very amateur designer. I just want to get better at making logos and uniforms so I can be as good as I can. Most things won't be too good in the beginning, but hopefully by the end (if I finish this) they'll be much better

Well, I'm just in a fantasy kind of mood right now. I decided to maybe start a series, where it will be a fantasy football league similar to the NFL. Here's the difference: instead of cities having teams in cities like L.A. AND Oakland, there will be one team per state (like 20 or 30 teams total, going by how populated the state is), and the team name will be "State-Nickname" (i.e. New Mexico Cowboys, Califonia Sun).

Here is a list of updated team names....(will be updated many times)

(Team in color denotes it's completed)

Northeast

New York Empire (Logos, Uniforms)

Pennsylvania Miners - Nicknamed the Coal and Oil State

Massachusetts Shillelaghs - Irish heritage

New Jersey Destroyers - kewps suggestion

Ohio Aviators - As someone said (forgot who), lots of flying in Ohio

South

Florida Hurricane - AstroBull's suggestion

Georgia Hammers/Rebels - Help to choose which one? (thanks to eRay and scar for the names)

North Carolina Coasters - east coast, yeah.

Virginia Infantry/Dominators - Infantry or something like it because many US military bases are located there, and Dominators is a play on "Old Dominion state"

Tennessee Blues - Memphis, Nashville, etc.

Midwest

Illinois Toppers - Ha, thought it would be a cool name, unique, after kewp suggested something Lincoln-esque

Michigan Lakers

Indiana Racers - kewps suggestions

Missouri Archers

Oklahoma Tornados

West

California Gold - Referring to gold rush of the mid-1800's

Texas Toros - Toro is Bull in spanish, so abundance of cattle and Latin population in Texas

Washington Volcanos

Arizona Montezumas

Colorado Bighorns - State animal

For New York, I went with Empire after debating between Empire and Scrapers for a while, and decided Empire just flowed and sounded better. I've only got a primary for now, but secondary, wordmark, and maybe uniforms will come later.

Now, I like the simplicity of this primary, but I feel it's missing something in the building, whether it be shading or a football or something. Could use some suggestions.

Navy and orange are NYCs colors, so yeah.

NewYorkScrapersfrontview.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its very simple, but it is working on some level. a little tweak of the illustration, just to polish it more, and a change of typeface could make this pretty good. i can see a high-waisted font working with this, and i think serifs would work well, but i'm not very good with fonts. anyway, work on this more, adding, subtracting, and changing and you might have something nice.

Thanks for the suggestions eRay. My computer's acting a bit weird right now so I figured I'd name the other teams in this "league." None of the names are in stone so suggestions are always welcome.

EDIT: All the team names will be listed in the first post from now on.

spacer.png

This is a really cool idea, my only problem is with Florida's name tag. It could never be the Florida Typhoon as that terminology is not used in the Atlantic Ocean and definitely never in Florida.

A Hurricane - The term that is most often used for cyclones occurring in the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific Oceans the water bordering the western US.

A Typhoon - The term that is most often used for cyclones occurring in the western Pacific Ocean.

But there is a common theme here that I think you could use and still have the desired effect that you were originally going for, and that is CYCLONE! A cyclone is what you were referring to, and by using that you can keep your original thoughts intact and not create something that is factually inaccurate!

Give it some thought!

P.S. - I'm not trying to be a douchebag or anything...(I can say that here right, well to late there it is) it's just out of that full list Florida just jumped out at me, and I couldn't look away!!

Thanks for the suggestions eRay. My computer's acting a bit weird right now so I figured I'd name the other teams in this "league." None of the names are in stone so suggestions are always welcome.

Northeast

New York Empire

Massachusetts Revolutionaries (Revs) - Maybe too long a name?

New Jersey Americans - Couldn't think of anything else

Ohio ?

South

Florida Typhoons

Georgia?

North Carolina Aviators - Wright Brothers

Virginia Infantry/Dominators - Infantry or something like it because many US military bases are located there, and Dominators is a play on "Old Dominion state"

Midwest

Illinois Wind?

Michigan Lakers

Indiana Hoosiers - Yeah yeah there's the college, but had to do it.

Missouri?

Oklahoma Tornados

West

Texas Toros - Toro is Bull in spanish, so abundance of cattle and Latin population in Texas

Washington (state) Storm/Thunder/Downpour/something like that

Arizona Burn/Rattlers

Colorado Bucks/Rams

Didn't know there were Latins in Texas! Someone should notify them that their language is dead :P

I like some of the names, but others are unoriginal and cliche.

Massachusetts - Try stray away from the Revolution, too many of those type of names already out there. Maybe go with some other part of the state's history (Pilgrims) or go with a state symbol (Terriers).

New Jersey - Maybe go with Destroyers? The U.S.S. New Jersey is one of the most decorated ships in the USN.

Ohio - Could easily have an aviation name as well. Stags could be good (state animal is the deer). Pioneers maybe?

Florida - Typhoons are in the Pacific I believe. Conquistadors? Explorers? Citrus? Sharks?

Indiana - Racers, Cardinals, anything is better than Hoosiers.

Missouri - I've always thought a good Missouri mascot would be Bluebirds, or perhaps go with the river culture, with the Missouri and Mississippi. Explorers, Mules, possibly something with railroads or something.

Washington - Maybe something to do with the sea. The Orca is the state marine mammal. With all the wildlife there I bet you could find an animal that would work. Grizzlies?

As far as the font goes, just browse dafont.com, look for a font you like.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I echo Kewp's "center the skyscraper" comment. It looks like it's leaning toward the right. Since the skyscraper is "growing" out of "Empire," the orange side of the scraper is in stark contrast to the navy of the wordmark. You need a better way to "blend it in" instead of it being such a disconnect. That said, I like the simplicity of the identity. A little more definition of the scraper wouldn't be bad, but it's not in desperate need of it. Overall solid work.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I like what you have for the New York logo, the simplicity looks nice for this team.

For Illinois, I don't like the wind nickname. That would be very hard to visually represent, plus Chicago isn't called the Windy City because of windy weather. It's because the longwinded politicians in the city. If it was more of a state based team rather than Chicago, I would suggest an agricultural-based nickname. One that sticks out to me is Cornjerkers. Some high school down south has that as the nickname (Thad Matta's alma mater), and I think that would be a good representation.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I like what you have for the New York logo, the simplicity looks nice for this team.

For Illinois, I don't like the wind nickname. That would be very hard to visually represent, plus Chicago isn't called the Windy City because of windy weather. It's because the longwinded politicians in the city. If it was more of a state based team rather than Chicago, I would suggest an agricultural-based nickname. One that sticks out to me is Cornjerkers. Some high school down south has that as the nickname (Thad Matta's alma mater), and I think that would be a good representation.

Could go with an Egyptian themed name with Little Egypt in Southern Illinois, or go with something Political/Lincoln-ish.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Northeast

New York Empire

Massachusetts Revolutionaries (Revs) - Maybe too long a name?

New Jersey Americans - Couldn't think of anything else

Ohio ?

South

Florida Hurricanes

Georgia?

North Carolina Aviators - Wright Brothers

Midwest

Illinois Wind?

Michigan Lakers

Indiana Hoosiers - Yeah yeah there's the college, but had to do it.

Missouri?

Oklahoma Tornados

West

Washington (state) Storm/Thunder/Downpour/something like that

Arizona Burn/Rattlers

Colorado Bucks/Rams

Normally I wouldn't get into something like this, but for some reason the state thing hit me with respect to potential names... so spitballing in no particular order:

Massachusetts - Militia. Evokes the revolution in the mind.

Rhode Island - Reds. Yeah, reminds of a chicken at first, but then is seen as clever.

Connecticut - Yankees.

New Jersey - Exits. Natives know the reference.

Pennsylvania - "Keystone State Coppers." What? That sucks? Okay. "Pennsylvania Patriots" then.

Delaware - Demons

Maryland - Crabs, Lobsters?

Ohio - Players. Young folks think pimpin, old folks like me think of the 70's band.

Michigan - Panthers. Remember the USFL's legacy!

Indiana - Racers.

Wisconsin - Warriors.

Illinois - Skyliners. For Chicago's skyline.

West Virginia - United. WV broke away from VA (and the Confederacy) in 1863 to rejoin the United States.

Virginia - Rebels.

North Carolina - Navigators.

South Carolina - Steamrollers.

Georgia - Generals.

Florida - Flamingos.

Alabama - Slammers, Attack.

Tennessee - Tuxedos. Why go with something obvious?

Kentucky - Colonels. Evokes the ABA.

Iowa - Harvesters.

Missouri - Pioneers. Reminds one that many pioneers crossed the Mississippi and into the west via Missouri.

Louisiana - Lightning.

Texas - Vaqueros, Mavericks.

Oklahoma - Rush. As in the land rush that gave berth to the term "Sooner."

Kansas - Kings.

Nebraska - Nationals.

North/South Dakota - Devils, Plainsmen.

Montana - Bighorns.

Idaho - Redskins. As in redskin potatoes.

Colorado - Peaks.

Utah - Pioneers (if Missouri isn't used)

Arizona - Scorpions

New Mexico - Sizzle, Vaqueros

California - "Golden State Gamblers." Don't know why, just the first thing that came to mind.

Nevada - Silver Stars.

Oregon - Beavers, Timber Kings, Lumberjacks.

Washington - Pacifics.

Alaska - Northern Knights.

Hawaii - Islanders, Volcanos, Lava.

nav-logo.png

WOW thank you for all the suggestions guys. The first post is updated with all the team names, here's what a changed.

New Jersey Destroyers

Massachusetts Coasters

Ohio Stags

Florida Tropics

Georgia Southerners

Indiana Racers

Missouri Archers

Logo will be updated by tonight.

spacer.png

i'm not going to suggest names for every team, although i could, but i feel there is one glaring change to be made. the georgia southerners name doesn't work very well and could be taken wrong, so i say replace it. I'd say give Alabama the team instead, and name them the Hammers, after their state bird, the yellowhammer. it also just sounds good. anyway, i'd like to see what comes from all these teams.

I'm not really too fond of the Florida Tropics name. There are plenty of other names to consider:

- Suns (The Sunshine State)

- Sailfish (Official saltwater fish)

- Hurricane or Cyclone (singular, not plural)

- Surf, Riptide, Waves, or something to do with the ocean

- Sea Turtles (I don't know, it's an original name)

Georgia Southerners - Is that offensive? Last state to join the Union

1) no it's not offensive but it's just kind of a stupid name (I was raised in GA, and consider myself a native from Georgia)

2) last state to join the union? that would be Hawaii. Georgia was actually the 4th state to join the union through ratification of the constitution.

3) better names would refer to the large peanut and cotton industries in GA or possible the fact that we used to make war planes since WW1. other possibilities woudl include the southern status as well:

Georgia Fighters (like F-22's not like cage fighters)

Georgia Bombers (like B-2's)

Georgia Boiled Peanuts

Georgia Cotton Pickers

Georgia Rebels (instead of southerners. it fits 10 times better)

You mentioned the Virginia Infantry, however Gerorgia is the home of the Infantry and also home to the US Army Airborne school, so you could go with Georgia Infantry, Georgia Airborne, but I liked what a poster previously said with the Georgia Rebels.

As for Arizona, the Rattlers are the AFL team there, Scorpions are a fall league baseball team, I would personally go with the Monsoon or Thunder. Something that doesnt always refect the desert theme the state commonly has.

DLWatt.png

Archived