Made-up football league - states, not cities

chestnutz

I think for Florida, you should call them the Boomers... as in Baby Boomers.

You could depict this with old people riding around on a golf cart or a perhaps a Rascal or Jazzy.

Consider it.

BTW, nice job on the Empire - very cool idea.

mvps.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the suggestions. Personally, I like the old helmet better. I couldn't think of anything to put on the helmet, so I went with a block E.

NewYorkEmpireuniforms-1.png

SouthernWebb, I tried making the football in the secondary vertical, but it just didn't look right at all.

Instead of Clovers, how about Massachusetts Shillelaghs (unique, right?)

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Thanks for the suggestions. Personally, I like the old helmet better. I couldn't think of anything to put on the helmet, so I went with a block E.

SouthernWebb, I tried making the football in the secondary vertical, but it just didn't look right at all.

As a fellow New York Stater I'm sorry to have to tell you this. But the colors of New York State are Navy and GOLD, not Navy and Orange. Orange and Royal are the colors of New York City. You're probably not old enough to remember the Blue & Gold license plates NYS used to have (they'd be Gold with Blue letters for a few years, then the colors would be reversed), or the Navy and Gold NYS Trooper squad cars of the 1970s. We used to call them "New York State Taxi Cabs." :D

As a fellow New York Stater I'm sorry to have to tell you this. But the colors of New York State are Navy and GOLD, not Navy and Orange. Orange and Royal are the colors of New York City. You're probably not old enough to remember the Blue & Gold license plates NYS used to have (they'd be Gold with Blue letters for a few years, then the colors would be reversed), or the Navy and Gold NYS Trooper squad cars of the 1970s. We used to call them "New York State Taxi Cabs."

Double post, sorry.

Whatever you do, dont make it Pennsylvania Quakers or Keystones.

Maybe Miners? Theres alotta coal here. Oilers, even? This used to be a big oil-drilling state - still plays a role in the oil industry. Patriots? Sure, its like the real NFL team, but this was a huge plac ein teh revolution. Union? after the union army, or something pertaning to Gettysburg?

oBIgzrL.png

I did make the Pennsylvania name Miners ^

Oh and bulldogbarks, didn't even realize you're from Livonia. Have a couple friends there, I live in Brighton myself (Rochester).

Currently moving on from the Empire and going to Illinois Toppers, which should be fun.

spacer.png

I hope you do a Utah one. If so, here are some suggestions for my beloved home state -

Utah Trappers

Utah Mountaineers

Utah Highlanders

Utah Pioneers

Utah Bucks

As for other cities and locations, I thought up these (well one is after a would-be-expansion team)

St. Louis Stallions (name of failed expansion team in earlty 1990's)

Minnesota Polarises

Minnesota Lumberjacks

Anaheim Wizards

Thats what Ive got so far. IDK if those cities were on the list, its just what was in my head.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Thanks for the suggestions mantle, but remember I'm not doing cities, only states.

Here is my Toppers logo. Personally I like how the primary turned out. Didn't really care much for the secondary.

Another explanation for Toppers: Abe Lincoln was an influential person in Illinois, and he had that famous top hat we all love.

IllinoisTopperslogos.png

spacer.png

empires uniforms

im surprised how good that helmet looks

only because im not a big fan of just a letter

i think if you could put a blue silhoutte of a skyscraper inside the vertical part of the "E"

and why is there an upside down building on the pants

ILLINOIS...

toppers sounds like hilltoppers as in western kentucky hilltoppers

now i dont believe there are too many hill tops in illinois

i would suggest the "railsplitters" you could still use that logo

i will try to come up with washington volcanoes (i believe it is an "e") and oregon pioneers

i was thinking i didnt like the name pacifics but it wouldve made a cool uniform

black and white with an orca on the helmets

i think i will try red,yellow and black for the volcanoes

and green and a dark grey for the pioneersv (not sold on those)

Normally I wouldn't get into something like this, but for some reason the state thing hit me with respect to potential names... so spitballing in no particular order:

Massachusetts - Militia. Evokes the revolution in the mind.

Rhode Island - Reds. Yeah, reminds of a chicken at first, but then is seen as clever.

Connecticut - Yankees.

New Jersey - Exits. Natives know the reference.

Pennsylvania - "Keystone State Coppers." What? That sucks? Okay. "Pennsylvania Patriots" then.

Delaware - Demons

Maryland - Crabs, Lobsters?

Ohio - Players. Young folks think pimpin, old folks like me think of the 70's band.Michigan - Panthers. Remember the USFL's legacy!

Indiana - Racers.

Wisconsin - Warriors.

Illinois - Skyliners. For Chicago's skyline.

West Virginia - United. WV broke away from VA (and the Confederacy) in 1863 to rejoin the United States.

Virginia - Rebels.

North Carolina - Navigators.

South Carolina - Steamrollers.

Georgia - Generals.

Florida - Flamingos.

Alabama - Slammers, Attack.

Tennessee - Tuxedos. Why go with something obvious?

Kentucky - Colonels. Evokes the ABA.

Iowa - Harvesters.

Missouri - Pioneers. Reminds one that many pioneers crossed the Mississippi and into the west via Missouri.

Louisiana - Lightning.

Texas - Vaqueros, Mavericks.

Oklahoma - Rush. As in the land rush that gave berth to the term "Sooner."

Kansas - Kings.

Nebraska - Nationals.

North/South Dakota - Devils, Plainsmen.

Montana - Bighorns.

Idaho - Redskins. As in redskin potatoes.

Colorado - Peaks.

Utah - Pioneers (if Missouri isn't used)

Arizona - Scorpions

New Mexico - Sizzle, Vaqueros

California - "Golden State Gamblers." Don't know why, just the first thing that came to mind.

Nevada - Silver Stars.

Oregon - Beavers, Timber Kings, Lumberjacks.

Washington - Pacifics.

Alaska - Northern Knights.

Hawaii - Islanders, Volcanos, Lava.

actually, i thought of the band too!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Hmm, it's been a while since I've critiqued a concept--so please be gentle... :D

As for New York--I'd make the socks on the home unis blue--I just think that would look better and more consistent with the overall scheme. But overall--I like it.

I would like to see a full profile view of the helmets though, I like the angle you have so you can see the striping--but I'd love to see a full side view too.

As for the Toppers--a bit too black--it makes it hard to distinguish things, especially the grey numbers--and it looks like the top hat sticks out from the helmet--but I do get the concept--just some tweaking needed.

Oh--and I'd put a beard on the football--ala Lincoln's beard--as opposed to his beardless period.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Yeah, not a big fan of the Black and Dark Grey color scheme for the toppers. You need an actual color in there to break things up.

I like the idea on the logos, but they need some tweaks. The rim of the hat seems to be too pointed in the front, I would suggest rounding it off a bit. Also, the football seems too flat, and the point of it isn't centered. My last gripe is the font on the wordmark. That font makes it look like the team name comes from a 1920's dinner party, like from The Great Gatsby or something. Try going with a bit more western font, like what newspaper headlines were printed in back in the 1800's.

I like the beard idea as well.

EDIT: now that I look at it the hat seems fine.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Ok, from a resident of Illinois...great idea on using the Lincoln hat as the basis of the identity. I will admit, the name Toppers made me think of hilltoppers as well. For what its worth, we usually call the hat a stovepipe hat rather than a top hat, but if you want to retain the name "Toppers" I won't argue with you. The idea of the hat over a football is original and genious. I have never seen that used for any of the teams around here (and I live in Springfield). I don't even think you need the beard - with a beard you might not be able to tell its a football there.

LT

Thanks for the input travis, a little overhauling here.

Changed the colors to dark brown and cream, which I have to say I'm in love with. Looks very old fashioned, 1800's, which is what I want.

I really like the beard on the logo. I look at this version and then look at the first one and see a big difference.

Very simple wordmark and secondary, but I think it works.

Have at it CCSLCers!

IllinoisTopperslogos-1.png

spacer.png

Your brown looks black to me, and your cream looks like vegas gold. I liked your original logos more, and the beard first off doesn't really look like a beard to me, and it makes you see only half of the football. I liked you previous secondary with just the hat too. I would keep the gray highlights in the hat, make the shaded half of the football gold, then make the beard look more realistic with highlights and shading. Or possibly get rid of the beard.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived