Further evidence of the NHL's problems in the USA

spyboy1

The lockout didn't hurt the league as much as no long being on ESPN does. About ten years ago, hockey was a very popular sport in the US, now nobody even admits to watching it or keeps up with the standings. It's hard to follow the league when all the games are broadcast on Monday and Tuesday afternoons on a crappy network that most people don't even get. Sure, midway through the season NBC starts showing a Sunday game each week, but the NHL is screwed without the support of ESPN. Since ESPN doesn't need the NHL to make money, they are free to neglect highlights and bash the sport whenever they get a chance to. ESPN is the dominant source for sports-related news in the US, so their treatment of the NHL spreads to the rest of the media and into the public's perception.

How about the fact that USA Hockey is :censored:ing up the sport in America?

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

1.) When shorthanded, you are no longer allowed to dump the puck. Automatic icing if it's done.

2.) In front of the net, you are allowed to lift your opponents stick only once.

3.) You are basically not allowed to use your stick for anything except passing and shooting. If it even touches someone else, you'll get a penalty.

4.) Coaches have to wear helmets on the ice now.

And the fact that kids aren't allowed to learn to hit until Pee-Wees has screwed up our game since the 80's. THAT's the reason you have so many injuries, hitting from behind, head contact, etc.

As a Level 3 certified USA Hockey, I can guarantee you that the first one is completely untrue, and that 2 and 3 are mostly untrue. You are allowed to stick check, as long as it's short of simply slashing on the stick. You're still allowed to lift the stick. But yes, it's true that the Standard of Play Initiative states that the stick should be used only for playing the puck, not to intimidate or interfere with your opponent--and that's exactly how hockey should be played.

I'm also completely on board with item 4.

I also think you're way off-base about the last one. Granted, I've found it odd that squirts can't take slapshots nor check, but there is something to be said about easing into checking. But the reason there are so many injuries from hitting from behind and head contact are that coaches have demanded for years and year that their kids cheat so long as they get away with it--and sometimes even then. Many of those same coaches are the ones that believe the game is called too tightly under the Standard of Play Initiative, because they refuse to adjust their ways in order to actually teach their players to actually play hockey.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

People still buy sports-related magazines these days? I haven't paid for a magazine in years, and only buy a newspaper if there's a headline worth saving.

I wonder how long it will be before newspapers/magazines will be out of production, thanks to technological advances.....

Print ads still command higher rates than internet advertising. That alone will keep mags in business.

Plus, who the hell wants to tote a laptop to the can?

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

1.) When shorthanded, you are no longer allowed to dump the puck. Automatic icing if it's done.

2.) In front of the net, you are allowed to lift your opponents stick only once.

3.) You are basically not allowed to use your stick for anything except passing and shooting. If it even touches someone else, you'll get a penalty.

And the fact that kids aren't allowed to learn to hit until Pee-Wees has screwed up our game since the 80's. THAT's the reason you have so many injuries, hitting from behind, head contact, etc.

As a Level 3 certified USA Hockey, I can guarantee you that the first one is completely untrue, and that 2 and 3 are mostly untrue. You are allowed to stick check, as long as it's short of simply slashing on the stick. You're still allowed to lift the stick. But yes, it's true that the Standard of Play Initiative states that the stick should be used only for playing the puck, not to intimidate or interfere with your opponent--and that's exactly how hockey should be played.

I'm also completely on board with item 4.

I also think you're way off-base about the last one. Granted, I've found it odd that squirts can't take slapshots nor check, but there is something to be said about easing into checking. But the reason there are so many injuries from hitting from behind and head contact are that coaches have demanded for years and year that their kids cheat so long as they get away with it--and sometimes even then. Many of those same coaches are the ones that believe the game is called too tightly under the Standard of Play Initiative, because they refuse to adjust their ways in order to actually teach their players to actually play hockey.

Well, I know we had to follow those rules in the Greater Springfield League (GSL) the last time I played in USA Hockey (Midget's '06).

As for the last one, the rate of injuries has gone up tremendously since USA Hockey postponed hitting until Pee Wees. My dad, who is very hockey knowledgeable and one of the best coaches in the area, had never even heard of the penalty "hitting from behind" until my brother started playing the 90's. As a kid, they were told when they first started hitting (at a young age) that you don't hit from behind. Look at hip-checking too! I watch old footage of my dad playing and 40% of the hits are hip-checks. Now, they're so rare that refs think they are tripping penalties. I laid down perfect hip-checks, but was always called for tripping. The way kids hit too. Up high! They try to push someone in the face, rather than lay a shoulder into them. Pee-Wees is a point when kids are at a very aggressive stage of their life, and they keep the habits of the way they hit for the rest of their playing career. It's easier to change the way a player plays the game in Instructional or Mites, not Pee Wees.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

#1 should be a rule in the NHL. Why should a PENALIZED team suddenly get free icing? I have yet to understand it. It would actually make it a damn power-play & maybe, just maybe, make guys afraid to take penalties.

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

#1 should be a rule in the NHL. Why should a PENALIZED team suddenly get free icing? I have yet to understand it. It would actually make it a damn power-play & maybe, just maybe, make guys afraid to take penalties.

You have to give the penalized team some sort of chance at defending their own goal. If they aren't allowed to ice the puck than you're basically giving the advantaged team a goal. Especially nowadays with more and more questionable penalties being called, to not allow icing of the puck on a penalty kill would drastically change the game.

1zqy8ok.gif

Personally, I think the standard of play works both ways. Depending on the ref, and the league, its either good because they let the teams just play the game, or bad, because it turns hockey into basketball, where I feel like if i breath on someone the wrong way it will be a penalty. Case in point: my senior year of high school. The way my high school games and my Junior games were called were like night and day. I know Junior hockey is known for being physical, and when compared to high school hockey, the talent level is much higher. But it seemed like in my high school games, the refs were so worried about kids trying to show off in front of the fans by laying cheap shots, that even hard clean hits were called. It eliminated the physical element of the game to the point where it was practically roller hockey. To have to go back and forth between that every weekend was very difficult, and it even affected my style of play.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

How so?

In 2006, I believe....

Do something about it then.

As for your number 4, coaches should have to wear helmets on the ice. A puck could hit the glass, be tipped, hit the post/crossbar and have an awkward unexpected bounce or something. There is also the fact that a coach or anyone who doesn't wear a helmet could trip and fall or something. Bill Masterton died when his head hit the ice after a collision and wearing a helmet could have prevented that.

Do something about it? I haven't played since I graduated from high school last June.

As for the coaches, the reason they put that rule into affect, is probably because some coach (a guy who doesn't know how to skate and only became a coach so his kid would get all the ice time he wanted) fell on the ice and hit his head. I've played since I was 3 and have never heard, been told or seen a coach get hit in the head by anything.

Do you have any evidence that supports your claim?

Ok, but who is to say that it can't happen? Better safe than sorry.

Archived