The End Of An Era

Neon_Matrix

I grabbed this from uniwatchblog.com and thought it may interest some of you here.

Our favourite yellow padded goalie, Marc-Andre Fleury, is exchanging his signature yellow pads for more traditional white ones. The article can be found in its entirety here.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08039/855883-61.stm

White is in, yellow out

Shortly after he went down with a high ankle sprain in early December, Fleury got a letter from an eye doctor in Ottawa with charts and an explanation of why Fleury's signature yellow pads gave shooters an advantage.

Fleury listened.

Yesterday, before and during the morning skate, gleaming white new leg pads, blocker and glove made their debut.

"It's a big different look," coach Michel Therrien said. "I was wondering if we have a new goalie."

Fleury asked around and came to believe the theory that pads in white have the illusion of looking bigger than pads of the same size in darker colors.

"There's more and more goalies wearing white these days," Fleury said. "The guys tell me it makes it look a little bigger.

"It's weird, but it's not too much different."

Fleury said it takes "maybe two weeks if I practice every day" to break in a new set of pads.

Therrien hinted that Fleury might be ready to return before the white pads are broken in.

"He's getting closer and closer. We'll see after the weekend," he said.

img.59630_t.jpg

R.I.P. yellow pads.

I don't know if I will ever be able to adjust to such a radical change....

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I grabbed this from uniwatchblog.com and thought it may interest some of you here.

Our favourite yellow padded goalie, Marc-Andre Fleury, is exchanging his signature yellow pads for more traditional white ones. The article can be found in its entirety here.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08039/855883-61.stm

White is in, yellow out

Shortly after he went down with a high ankle sprain in early December, Fleury got a letter from an eye doctor in Ottawa with charts and an explanation of why Fleury's signature yellow pads gave shooters an advantage.

Fleury listened.

Yesterday, before and during the morning skate, gleaming white new leg pads, blocker and glove made their debut.

"It's a big different look," coach Michel Therrien said. "I was wondering if we have a new goalie."

Fleury asked around and came to believe the theory that pads in white have the illusion of looking bigger than pads of the same size in darker colors.

"There's more and more goalies wearing white these days," Fleury said. "The guys tell me it makes it look a little bigger.

"It's weird, but it's not too much different."

Fleury said it takes "maybe two weeks if I practice every day" to break in a new set of pads.

Therrien hinted that Fleury might be ready to return before the white pads are broken in.

"He's getting closer and closer. We'll see after the weekend," he said.

I don't know if I will ever be able to adjust to such a radical change....

First DiPietro changes from some of the best looking pads to white and now Fleury.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!?! :cursing:

He's had those pads since his days with Cape Breton, correct?

Correct. He even wore them during his two stints as starting goalie for Team Canada in the World Juniors.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Finally. Those pads only work with the old Pens gold (which they should switch back to). They stuck out like a sore thumb...like a gray mask on the Colts, Browns, and Cards helmet.

I'm sure with superstition, they will come back in some form.

KISSwall09.jpg

No Marc no...I can't even think of anyone who uses yellow pads now.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Someone who plays for either Boston, St Louis, Florida, or Calgary should. That'd look badass.

And Fleury should get vegas gold pads at least. White is too big a change.

Someone who plays for either Boston, St Louis, Florida, or Calgary should. That'd look badass.

For about... 2 or 3 seasons, Luongo wore MOSTLY yellow pads with the Panthers... they looked so slick.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

For about... 2 or 3 seasons, Luongo wore MOSTLY yellow pads with the Panthers... they looked so slick.

Right, right. Koho ones, IIRC, with a small navy stripe outlining the yellow....yeah those were nice.

Pens have raw practice video on the "Pens TV" section oftheir site. You can see Marc with teh new pads. Basically plain white with silver lines like the old ones. I actually like them. they arent as unique as the odl ones, but look alot better - they match.

oBIgzrL.png

Right, right. Koho ones, IIRC, with a small navy stripe outlining the yellow....yeah those were nice.

0506UDUltimate-Roberto_Luongo.jpg

Fantastic.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

As a goaltender...it is a shame to see those beauties go. I wear almost entirely white pads- but its only because I wasn't 100% on where I would end up this year and white goes with anything. It does seem most goalies are switching to white pads...and yes from a distance they look bigger, but honestly thats not a very big deal...there are so many different ways goalies can decieve shooters that the color of the pad doesn't matter. The more effective way of looking bigger is challenging more- goaltending basics. I'm mad about the reasoning...I really don't like the get big fad in goaltending...yes it is needed to a point...but to me bulky equipment slows down my lateral movement- so I keep the bulk to a bear minimum...I guess comparable to Marty Brodeur...when the rest of the NHL's goalies doubled in width- he stayed relatively normal. All and all...looking bigger is fine and dandy- but at the end of the day it doesnt stop the puck.

brewerssig.jpg

Correct. He even wore them during his two stints as starting goalie for Team Canada in the World Juniors.

Maybe this is why he lost us the '06 World Juniors.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Well, maybe my memory is a little spotty these days... but I do believe Justin Pogge won us that series. :P

I think you are thinking of the '04 and '03 World Juniors which Fleury played in. He lost to Russia and the USA during those two stints.

How else could we have won 4 straight golds? :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Well, maybe my memory is a little spotty these days... but I do believe Justin Pogge won us that series. :P

I think you are thinking of the '04 and '03 World Juniors which Fleury played in. He lost to Russia and the USA during those two stints.

How else could we have won 4 straight golds? :P

My year was off, but that doesn't change the fact he lost the gold for Canada :D

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Archived