Introducing the Toronto Thunder

Bruins4Life

Alright so I had a post previous to this one with a concept for the Buffalo Bills if they were to permanently move North of the border to Toronto, which you can check out here > http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=56670

So after a first go at it, and then a second go... and after taking into consideration all the C&C I received I went back to the drawing board so to speak. I wanted to totally redo what I had done, to give it less connection to the Bills, which meant changing the colours first and for most. Secondly, I wanted to give the team a better name, not that I didn't like the name Skyline, but some people thought there should be more to it, some people thinking it wasn't a strong, resounding NFL name, (although the names Bills or Browns don't exactly strike fear into...well anyone either) but non the less, I wanted to give them a newer more NFLish tag.

Then there was the logo, which IMO worked with the team name, but others thought it was too plain...or was it too busy...or maybe too Japanese? lol

All of this I was o.k. with because without criticism, how would you know if what you were doing would actually make the cut given the chance! So I began...

I went back and thought about Toronto, and Ontario in general, and my time there. I thought about the people, the surroundings, the landmarks, the environment, the weather, everything I could remember! And something dawned on me, something that I remember being quite impressive, some of them being very grand in scale, and also very strong and powerful. Something that could be easily turned into a pro sports team with very little difficulty!

It was the Electrical Storms! The magnificent lightning displays...the loud, forceful, ear shattering at times, thunder claps! Just the over all strength and endurance of some of these forces of nature were extremely impressive! And with that kind of description, you could easily take out "storm" and insert "football team" and the same words would describe a team that would be a force to be reckoned with!

And from there the logo and name and overall design fell in place! The Toronto Thunder!! And Zeus being the "God of Thunder" he seemed fitting to use for the logo! After that it was just making up the wordmark and jerseys! Anywho I hope you all like this one as much as I do, and of course C&C always appreciated!

torontothunderconceptpagf4.png

torontothunderwp2bq1.jpg

torontothunderwp1rs0.jpg

Reminds me of the Chargers. Y'know Thunder = Bolts. Plus the colours are similar.

However, you have done an awesome job on this uniform and for that I commend you, sir.

Ya I knew even b4 I made this up that I would get the "Chargers" thing...thinking about them actually made me almost not do it at all. But then I did, and there it is! Thanx for the good comments on it anyhow!

I like the design. It's definately something I could see being used in the NFL today. The name reminds me to much of the Chargers though, but otherwise good job.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Add the CN tower to the background of the logo and you got a winner there. However, it does look too much like the Chargers. Perhaps switch and experiment with different color schemes until the team looks less like the Chargers and have their own identity. Also, the uniforms are very boring and uninspired.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Add the CN tower to the background of the logo and you got a winner there. However, it does look too much like the Chargers. Perhaps switch and experiment with different color schemes until the team looks less like the Chargers and have their own identity. Also, the uniforms are very boring and uninspired.

Well I tried the whole CN Tower thing in my original thread found here...http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=56670. Comment there maybe that is more to your liking! I didn't really like the first jersey I did there either, but the second one seems to have had some sort of inspiration to it even though someone said it looked more like a clown suit! Either way, don't expect a reply there as that concept in now dead to me!!

Good things:

Logo is much, much better than any of the ones on the first thread.

The same can be said about the jerseys.

The helmets are pretty cool.

I really like the shoes.

Bad things:

They have an incredibly similar name to the Chargers, part of your primary logo uses a Chargers-like bolt, and although it uses different shades, its still blue and yellow like the Chargers. I know someone else said it, but, for that reason, this could never, ever be used in the NFL.

It is nice though.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Nice job of these, I'm starting to become a fan of your work. I really like the main logo. So use that for the helmet. Obviously, like everyone has said, it reminds you instantly of a Chargers, but hey, it's a concept, right?

I actually had never even heard about the Bills moving. Not to spoil your fun, but I hope they don't. A team in Canada would be cool, but my cousins live in Buffalo and I wouldn't want their team to be taken away!

Edit: It might also be a good idea to make your documents smaller, would be a lot easier on my computer, for one.

I like the concept, but not the name, and here's why:

The NFL has tried to make the name "Thunder" work twice now. Once in Orlando in the WLAF, and once in Berlin in the NFLE/Eurpoe League/Europa/Whatever (and I still say the Berlin logo was the best out of all those logos, btw...). I doubt the NFL will go for that Thunder name again.

In fact, since Toronto already has a team that has roots in Greek mythology (the Argos), I wonder if they might not go in a totally different direction.

What about the Toronto Lakers? It IS on Lake Ontario, and doesn't the word Toronto come from the Native American word for Lake? Also, I thought that there was a lot of commercial shipping coming out of Toronto via the lake? I've never been to Canada, so I might be thinking of Edmonton.

All that being said, I love that logo. Zeus ROCKS! The fact that it's NOT red/Blue is a definite plus.

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

I really like the logos, but I just can't get past the colors. Frankly it infringes too much upon the Chargers, so I think you should look at some pics of oddly-colored lightning and use that as a basis for your colors. On that note, I don't mind the name similarities, since they exist aplenty in the NFL (Broncos/Chargers, Bucs/Raiders, Falcons/Eagles, etc.)

cttdolphins2.png

Decent logo and overall concept. This fits football better than your first concept. If it weren't for the Charger colors, I'd say this was as good as any concept that could be used.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived