Kidd going to the Mavs

Gary

got this from CBSsports.com

The Nets agree to trade All-Star point guard Jason Kidd and Malik Allen to the Mavericks for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George, DeSagana Diop, Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and cash, sources tell Tony Mejia of CBSSports.com

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short term, the Mavs are instant contenders, but in the long run, this is a really bad trade for the Mavs. If the two first rounders weren't in there, I'd call this all square, but wow...that's a LOT to give up for Kidd and Allen.

Diop was solid for the Mavs last postseason, and so it'll be all down to Dampier to stop the big guys in the west.

Kidd has got 2-3 years left, so there's a short term solution at point guard, while Harris has a long career ahead of him still.

If the Mavs don't win it all in the next 2 years, this won't be worth it. The young talent they're giving up (including the first rounders) will hurt them in 3-5 years.

Dang...I thought Cuban wanted to keep Harris.

Otherwise....kudos to the Lakers again for the Gasol trade, because without it, I doubt either the Shaq trade or this trade happens.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Mavs gave up way too much for Kidd. Like BC said, if this doesn't get them a title this year, then the Mavs are gonna be done for a few seasons.

Was Kidd's trade value seriously worth those many players AND two first rounders???

The Mavs gave up way too much for Kidd. Like BC said, if this doesn't get them a title this year, then the Mavs are gonna be done for a few seasons.

Was Kidd's trade value seriously worth those many players AND two first rounders???

With the way my Hornets are playing, I keep seeing these trades ( Shaq to Phoenix, Kidd to Mavs) and wonder (1) are we gonna make a move, and (2) how are these acquisitions is going to affect our second-half run and push in the playoffs?

I'm inclined to think (1) probably not, and (2) not much. I remember when the Atlanta Hawks acquired Danny Manning around this time in the last season that they won the Central Division (93/94) and it didn't do much for them in the long run...

Anyone else have an example of such a mid-season trade putting a team "over the top"?

It is what it is.

Great short-term deal for Dallas, especially considering they're working on a seperate deal for Antoine Wright and could potentially get Stackhouse back if he's bought out by Jersey, as is expected.

Dampier, Dirk, Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Kidd with Jet Terry off the bench? That, to me, is better than both LA and Phoenix. NBA Finals experience all the way through, reigning MVP, three all stars and not to mention, the best overall point guard over the last decade. Let's also not forget that Jason Kidd handles his own on defense - not to say Devin Harris didn't, but this is a big defensive lift AND a huge lift in the rebounding department to have a guy like Kidd that can bring down 8-10 rebounds on any given night while also getting you double-digit points and assists.

That said, this trade reminds me an awful lot of Miami's original deal for Shaq when they gave up BOTH Lamar Odom and Caron Butler. Had the Heat not won a title in the first 3-4 seasons, that trade would've been an overwhelming failure. Luckily for them, it worked out (although giving up a now two-time all star in Butler has got to be hurting, if not just a little bit). But other than Devin Harris and the shotblocking ability of Diop, Dallas didn't give up a whole lot? They're draft picks will likely be low first rounders for the immediate future, cash is no problem for Mark Cuban, and Devean George/Maurice Ager are role players that can be replaced in any number of ways.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Short term, the Mavs are instant contenders, but in the long run, this is a really bad trade for the Mavs. If the two first rounders weren't in there, I'd call this all square, but wow...that's a LOT to give up for Kidd and Allen.

Diop was solid for the Mavs last postseason, and so it'll be all down to Dampier to stop the big guys in the west.

Kidd has got 2-3 years left, so there's a short term solution at point guard, while Harris has a long career ahead of him still.

If the Mavs don't win it all in the next 2 years, this won't be worth it. The young talent they're giving up (including the first rounders) will hurt them in 3-5 years.

And that's just the good news (sort of) for New Jersey.

YOZXkBG.png?1

I love this trade for the Nets. Expiring contracts, buyouts, draft picks, AND a good, young player, and they got all this for a disgruntled, old good-but-not-as-good-as-he-once-was player whose trade demands had the potential to put a dent in their leverage. This is exactly the kinds of move the Nets should be making in anticipation of, hopefully, their move to Brooklyn (as opposed to their ridiculous re-signing of Vince Carter).

MArk Cuban said last week wheb the Mavs faced the Nets, that trading for Kidd would cripple the Macvs cause you would be giving up half his roster.

He should have stayed to his word, cause Dallas gave up way too much in my opinion for Jason Kidd. They had to do something in my opinion to keep up with PHX and LAL, and Kidd works, but he just gave up too much.

MArk Cuban said last week wheb the Mavs faced the Nets, that trading for Kidd would cripple the Macvs cause you would be giving up half his roster.

He should have stayed to his word, cause Dallas gave up way too much in my opinion for Jason Kidd. They had to do something in my opinion to keep up with PHX and LAL, and Kidd works, but he just gave up too much.

Why? Jason Kidd doesn't have many years left in him.

And Devin Harris continues to impress me, I don't even think he's even hit his prime yet. Great player IMO.

Dallas ripped themselves off.

Good job new jersey though.

Right now, I think both teams can be contenders with this deal.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Even if it's only short-term, Jason Kidd is only signed on for one more season. It's essentially Dallas getting Jason Kidd right before he drops off.

If they don't make it this year, he'll still help the team out next year. If not, then Dallas can simply NOT RESIGN HIM. Or sign him for a really cheap trade.

It's relatively a marginal upgrade, but it won't cripple the franchise for years on end.

GR30a5H.png

I wonder if this will prompt the Nuggets to make a move for Artest. I really don't know how I would feel about that though.

Any Kings/Pacers fans that can give some insight to his overall attitude?

Dude is nuts. No one can give any insight on his overall attitude. You could ask Ron-Ron himself and he wouldn't have the slightest clue.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I wonder if this will prompt the Nuggets to make a move for Artest. I really don't know how I would feel about that though.

Any Kings/Pacers fans that can give some insight to his overall attitude?

Dude is nuts. No one can give any insight on his overall attitude. You could ask Ron-Ron himself and he wouldn't have the slightest clue.

Well, I meant if he's a team player, or if he causes trouble on the team he's on. I know he's got an attitude on him, but I don't watch the Kings except when they play the Nuggets.

All I know is, a lineup consisting of Iverson, Melo, & Artest has a chance of being one of the most talented, and at the same time volatile lineups in the NBA. It'd definitely be fun to watch.

Archived