Kidd going to the Mavs

Gary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because NBA trades must match salaries to a point...I think within 15%. Kidd is a max contract guy and Dallas is basically giving up a guy on his first contract and a bunch of spare parts.

That's why. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

No No No the deal was made, and Kidd is worth the King's Ransom you are sending the Nets. Who knows you may win the NBA Finals this year with this deal.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Because NBA trades must match salaries to a point...I think within 15%. Kidd is a max contract guy and Dallas is basically giving up a guy on his first contract and a bunch of spare parts.

As if the players were not enough to match, I think the Mavs also threw in $3 million in cash. :blink:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As if the players were not enough to match, I think the Mavs also threw in $3 million in cash. :blink:

I can't wait to see that guy $3 million run the break with RJ and VC on the wings. Who needs JKidd when you have $3 mil?!?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

No No No the deal was made, and Kidd is worth the King's Ransom you are sending the Nets. Who knows you may win the NBA Finals this year with this deal.

We better. And if Dallas wins the whole thing I'm buying every DVD, shirt, keychain, nick-nack....whatever they have, because it won't happen again in my lifetime. The Mavericks overpaid for this deal and completely mortgaged their future. I'm disgusted. :puke:

newsig.jpg

If the Mavs didn't trade their whole bench and future for this, I'd agree.

This, if they clear George's issues, is a bittersweet deal. Get Jason Kidd back to where he was drafted, and they have a chance, god forbid they WIN the NBA Championship, it would be great. I liked Diop, and George, and most of these players we traded, but that's not hard to deal with. Two freakin' first round pick?! I guess the only upside, is we could have fantastic years that will really make them early 2nd round picks. Either way, I liked our team how it is.

The $3m is to help buyout Stackhouse so he can go back to Dallas in a month's time for the run-in and playoffs.

Wonder who they can swap in to make the deal work if Devean George won't budge? Mavs might need to resign Keith Van Horn to a part-guaranteed contract and trade him which they've vowed not to do until now.

liverpool-1.png

We better. And if Dallas wins the whole thing I'm buying every DVD, shirt, keychain, nick-nack....whatever they have, because it won't happen again in my lifetime. The Mavericks overpaid for this deal and completely mortgaged their future. I'm disgusted. :puke:

You know, a lot of people (particularly Mavs fans) are pissed about this - but forgive me for asking... am I missing something here? Mortgaged their future? I don't see where that really comes into play other than Devin Harris' potential. The draft picks are likely late first rounders at best - sure, an all star can be found there, but the chances are slim.

In addition, this Mavs team, as currently assembled, is not "a team of the future" in the same way that LA, New Orleans, etc. could be considered. The Mavericks are a "win now" team. This team had its chance in 2006 and gave away the championship, then were unlucky enough to draw the only team capable of matching up with them in Golden State last season - so clearly, SOMETHING had to be done (obtaining Eddie Jones in the offseason doesn't count). For a "win now" team to come into a situation to get a "win now" point guard is a no-brainer, in my mind. 5 years from now, Dirk Nowitzki would not be any closer to winning a championship with Devin Harris as he was in 2006 or would be now with Jason Kidd. Josh Howard is probably the only guy on that team who has a substantial amount of time left in his career, but the marquee man, Dirk Nowitzki, the man who the entire team is built around, has been in the league nearly a decade and isn't getting younger.

If this team contained Dirk circa 2003 or so, paired with Harris and Howard, I'd say it's a future contender. But this team right now IS a contender NOW. Jason Kidd has maybe 2-3 years tops of quality ball in him. He improves the Mavericks defense, rebounding, passing, running game and overall basketball-IQ. He has 2 NBA Finals appearances to his name, numerous all star selections and as much as I hate him, he gets the job done. Giving up Devin Harris and filler needed to be done to give Dallas the best chance it has to win a title in the next 2-3 seasons.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I never thought guard play was the Mavs' achilles heel. They've needed a big man complement to Dirk for ages now. Now they've lost their bench depth and their guard of the future - for a one-year window in which they still have their most glaring weakness unaddressed.

Rod Thorn fleeced 'em.

Panic move by the Mavs, just like the Suns a week ago.

s_kidd.jpg

I heard Stack on Stephen A. Smith's show...they were talking about how Jason Kidd would impact the Mavs and Stack kept saying we, as though he would still be on the team. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Nets telling him they would buy him out and him repeating that. However, Stack's comments just makes it seem, as you said, Leeds, that it was prearranged.

Stack would have to wait 30 calendar days before he could resign with Dallas if New Jersey cut him. I bet I know of one other team that would try to make a run at Stack. (Hint: their superstar was just diagnosed with a ligament tear.)

Archived